Do you give your kids under 4 corn?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by monie rose, Aug 26, 2007.

1. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I was told back when my older sons were babies to not give corn or pocorn until they were about 4. I have not given the twins any either, but seeing a pic of my sil's 10 month old nephew eating corn on the cob it got me thinking. Do people give children under 4 corn now and are doctors now saying its OK? I was told that it's a choking hazard.

Thanks!

2. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

We've been giving corn since the babies started eating mostly table foods. Never on the cob, just canned or frozen. The only problem we've had is it doesn't always get fully digested, so be prepared for some "corny" poopie diapers if you decide to try it:)

3. EllenJamie

EllenJamie Well-Known Member

I have never given E and E corn and would not dream of giving them popcorn yet. I have seen alot of people give corn on the cob to small babies. I am just a scardy cat mom because I have a huge fear of them choking. I can't wait to hear the responses you get from others.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We do regular corn not on the cob. We tried corn on the cob but they can't figure it out

5. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

We give corn all the time, my girls love it. I also do corn on the cob, its their favorite. :) I've seen them polish of a ear each, they go crazy for it.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Emilie and Trevor LOVE corn! They will even eat corn on the cob. Never heard to wait until age 4.

ETA:Emilie and Trevor have not had popcorn. That will be awhile still.

7. mommy2my2

mommy2my2 Well-Known Member

Mine love corn, especially on the cob and it is a real riot to watch them eat it. If your kids eat raisins, grapes, etc... I can't see the harm in corn. Corn on the cob may actually slow them down some. As far as popcorn, we have not tries it yet (my girls are two), but I think by age 4 I will let them have it.

Diane
    Ashley and Maddy 5/10/05

8. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I've given it to them, but they don't eat it. They pretty much run from any vegetable that comes near them :rolleyes:

9. Tif3

Tif3 Well-Known Member

I give Zach (17 months old) and Hailey (3 y/o) corn but I scrap it off the cob for Zach. I have just started giving Hailey popcorn but its usually that no hull stuff you can get at walmart.

Tiffaney

10. emlu1

emlu1 Well-Known Member

I give my girls all of it- corn, on the cob, and popcorn! They are crazy for all types and do really well with it. I always watch them really closely when they have popcorn and make them sit at the table while they eat it. They love it!

11. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I have given them regular corn but not popcorn. I have never heard of waiting until age 4, and I really don't see how corn is a choking hazard. They haven't done corn on the cob because they don't know what to do with it.

12. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

Mine have had regular corn since they started table foods. Would you give them peas? I don't see corn being any different. They also LOVE corn on the cob! It's so much fun to watch them go to town on it! I would be nervous about popcorn though.

13. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I just recently started giving it to them but only because the Gerber Toddler meals have corn in them. I figure if they are making meals and serving corn in them then they can't be that bad.

14. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

QUOTE(swiertel @ Aug 26 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]381205[/snapback]
    Mine have had regular corn since they started table foods. Would you give them peas? I don't see corn being any different. They also LOVE corn on the cob! It's so much fun to watch them go to town on it! I would be nervous about popcorn though.

Ditto!

15. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I probably started giving them corn around 15mos? Not popcorn. Popcorn IS a choking hazard. I would wait until age 3 or so for that. But the problem we had with corn is that (as a PP said) it doesn't get fully digested and it caused my girls TERRIBLE open sore diaper rashes for a long time so we avoided it. Just recently I've been able to let them eat it and not have a terrible reaction to it. Oddly enough they got this reaction worse with frozen corn than with corn on the cob?? They LOVE corn on the cob. We just gave it to them for the first time this past Father's Day (they were about 27mos).

16. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

My girls have been eating corn on the cob since they were probably 18 or 19 months old. They love it. I have never given them popcorn. They have seen my nephews eat it, and asked for some, but I told them they were too young. I have a tendancy to get kernals stuck in my teeth, and wouldn't wish that on them anyway.

17. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I've given them corn for a long long time now. They like corn on the cob in principle, but I always end up cutting the kernels off for them. They haven't had popcorn yet, but I think they are ready. Soon.

18. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine LOVE corn on the cob and have been eating it for about a year. Obviously they are seated and supervised while eating it. We also started letting them have popcorn this summer and we supervise them eating it.

19. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

they get corn...haven't had it on the cob, yet. I do let them eat popcorn, BUT, i break them off little bitty bites, and always make sure there are no kernels in them...heck, I get choked on popcorn kernels :) and when I say little bites, i mean little.

20. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

my girls eat corn on the cob they won't eat from the can but will off the cob, mind u they were four in June. I have let them have popcorn for about the last year, but I always sit with them to supervise it (would never leave them alone with it), they love it.

I didn't realize about the corn on the cob, only knew about popcorn

amanda

21. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

yup.. have been for a long time. It goes right through them.. I see it undigested in their poop!

22. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Mine have had corn on the cob and they loved it. Watching someone eat it was training enough for them. I've never heard not to give it either.

I don't give them popcorn, though.

23. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

I've never heard of not giving a child corn until they were 4 but I have heard to be careful of popcorn.

24. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Corn yes, popcorn no. We started regular corn around a year, but they only really like it on the cob (more fun to eat, I guess). It never seemed to bother their digestive systems, but they don't seem to be very sensitive that way in general.

25. TTTSMiracleMom

TTTSMiracleMom Well-Known Member

My boys eat corn -- I have also never heard that it is a choking hazard. But popcorn is a whole other story. I cared for a child that was SEVERELY brain damaged after choking on popcorn. It is virtually impossible to get up with the Heimlich maneuver and would never give that to toddlers. My boys probably won't get it until they get near 5 or 6 and I wouldn't recommend it for any toddler, no matter how much they love it. It is just too dangerous unless it is given in tiny little pieces that have no kernel in them.

26. LaRae81

LaRae81 Well-Known Member

We do corn. They love it! Especially cream corn. But as some have mentioned, it doesn't always get all digested there's always some in the diaper.

I hadn't ever heard not to give them corn.

27. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

Yes, we have been eating corn for about 2 months now. It is always a big hit. No popcorn though!

28. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Corn is about the only veggie my girls will devour! They love it on the cob too! I don't give them popcorn that you have to pop b/c I'm afraid of them choking on the kernels. However, I will sometimes let them have that popcorn you can buy in a bag in the chip aisle...that real fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth stuff b/c there are no kernels in that.

29. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

The girls eat corn. It actually comes in a lot of the gerber graduate meals. I also give them canned corn as well, our doctor never mentioned not giving it to them. We definately don't do popcorn yet, not sure when on that one.

30. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids love corn. Especially on the cob. Meghan devours it and we sometimes have to cut it off for Nolan. As for popcorn, I was holding off on it, but they got it this summer for the first time. (DH didn't know that I didn't give it to them). Anyway, they only eat it when they are supervised.

31. betseeee

betseeee Well-Known Member

I've heard no popcorn this young, but never no corn at all. And our ped is pretty conservative on food (no PB or shellfish until 3 for all kids, not just history of allergies).They've had corn since they were 10 months old or so. I definitely have to be careful about how much they have, though. They were apparently eating fistfuls at grandma's one day and the next day's poops were plentiful and gross!

32. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine have been eating corn since 10-11 months, and corn on the cob all summer long - they love corn on the cob!

No popcorn yet though. I think that poses a choking hazard.

33. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

Wow, I never thought of corn on the cob; I bet my girls would be into that! We do serve corn (steamed frozen corn) periodically, not that often. They used to like it a lot but don't eat it much any more, so we stopped serving it very often. But I bet they would enjoy the novelty of eating it on the cob.

Not to sound like a broken record, but like the PPs I have never heard to wait on corn until age 4. Popcorn, yes, since it's a big choking hazard, but never about plain old corn.

34. SharonH

SharonH Well-Known Member

We've given the kids corn on the cob since they've had front teeth. They love it. Oddly enough they won't eat corn on it's own. As for popcorn I think DD #1 was eating it at about 2 1/2 with supervision as a treat. We don't give it to her on a regular basis.

35. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jennie-OH @ Aug 27 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]381216[/snapback]
    But the problem we had with corn is that (as a PP said) it doesn't get fully digested and it caused my girls TERRIBLE open sore diaper rashes for a long time so we avoided it. Just recently I've been able to let them eat it and not have a terrible reaction to it. Oddly enough they got this reaction worse with frozen corn than with corn on the cob?? They LOVE corn on the cob. We just gave it to them for the first time this past Father's Day (they were about 27mos).

My pedi told us that it is the "germ" part at the bottom of the kernal that causes the problem, so better to serve it to them on the cob, because that part is more likely to stay attached to the cob. My girls got their teeth late, and our pedi said as soon as they have the teeth for it they can knaw on an ear of corn. (they didn't have the teeth for it until 18 months!) Hold off for two years on whole kernal corn because of the digestive problems, but ground corn (torillas or cream of corn soap) was okay from 1 year.
    My girls are almost three and Gabby still poops corn, but Bianca doesn't. They both love it.