Do you have more Dr appointments with twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by linnmarie85, Apr 22, 2014.

1. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

I was wondering what a twin pregnancy is like as far as Dr visits. Are they more frequent? Do you get more ultrasounds? I'm only 6w5d so I'm just starting this journey :)

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yes, to both.  I had 3 children before twins and 1 after.  I had 1-2 ultrasounds with each of my other kids and 1/month with twins.  Plus I had non-stress tests with them weekly, toward the end.  I never had those with my other kids, except once when I had a brief amount of spotting with my oldest.  

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The number of ultrasounds varied depending on which doctor I saw aI cycled through the practice. Most of the docs preferred ultrasound at every visit as opposed to using a dopplar to pick up heartbeats. The only doctor who would routinely use dopplar was the one we picked.

The appointments were more frequent as well-especially as I developed some complications.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I don't know that I had more doctor appointments with twins, but I had more ultrasounds (and since those were separate appointments, I had to go more often).

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My OB's office was a practice with several doctors, so I saw a doctor monthly in addition to having an ultrasound.  Towards the end of the pregnancy, I went for several non-stress tests.

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I had many more appointments with the twins but my OB was not a huge fan of ultrasounds, so I did not have more than those recommended in the standard protocol.

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had more appointments because I saw both my regular OB and a Peri. 

Don't be surprised when they charge you for two ultrasounds each time though.  That shocked me.  Oh and two deliveries.  And charge you for all three of you for staying in the hospital.  :)  Hope you have good insurance!  I didn't. 

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I had more appts and more u/s with my twins versus my singleton pregnancy.  With my twins pregnancy I saw my OB plus a high risk OB.  One thing I liked is my high risk OB gave me an u/s at every visit and my insurance covered it (beacuse of the type of dr. it was).  My OB could only give me my 20w u/s (that was all my insurance would cover withi a reg. OB.  I only saw both due to having twins nothing more, I was not high risk due to anything else.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had more ultrasounds and doctor's visits. I felt like that was all I was doing for a while! But, it kept me a lot calmer, and I did develop some pregnancy issues late in the game, so it was good to have someone documenting those changes.

10. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had more ultrasounds and had weekly non stress tests.

11. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Both of my pregnancies were good with no complications.

With my singleton, I had the standard ultrasound around 20 weeks, and ended up getting another one close to the end because the doctor couldn't tell what direction my baby was presenting.

I really don't remember how often my appointments were with my singleton, but I do remember that when I got pregnant with my twins, 8 months later, my appointments were a lot more frequent 

12. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

It also depends if you are having di/di twins (2 sacs, 2 placentas), mono/di twins (2 sacs, 1 placenta), or mono/mono twins (1 sac, 1 placenta).  I have mono/di twins and had to have biweekly ultrasounds in addition to monthly doctor appointments for most of my pregnancy, plus they had been planning to have me in twice a week after 32 weeks but I delivered early so it never actually happened. :)  I think di/di twins usually get monthly ultrasounds, and mono/mono has the highest level of monitoring because it is riskiest.  They should be able to tell you at your next ultrasound if you are di/di!

13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I didn't have more dr's visits, but I did have a lot more ultrasounds.  They started monthly, then twice a week, then once a week, then twice a week my last two weeks.  With each of my singletons I had one at 8 weeks and 20 weeks.  One singleton I had a third ultrasound at 41 weeks, the second singleton I was scheduled for an ultrasound at 41 weeks but had her that day. I also did NST's with my twins towards the end during my weekly dr's appts.  The dr's visits with my twins were the same interval as with my two singletons but I never had any complications with any of my pregnancies.