do you let your kids sleep "anywhere"

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by AmynTony, Oct 13, 2011.

1. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

here's the issue - Abby's got a bit of a cold right now and for some reason she coughs her head off in bed but then asks to sleep on the couch and falls right to sleep no coughing!!! I'm sure at this point its more for attention but would you worry about this or since she's sleeping (and doesn't have an alarm clock per se - I wake them up for school) just let it go until the cold abates and then make her go back in her room...

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went through this last week. Both of my boys have colds. One night, they woke up at midnight. DH was out cold-of course. I had the vaporizer on, etc. They woke screaming and crying-they had runny noses, etc etc. I was up there for an HOUR trying to calm them down. I finally threw my hands up in the air. Marched downstairs, set up the couch into a bed. I slept in the middle and they slept on each side. And they slept. Until 8 am. Soundly.

I say-if she can actually sleep-let her sleep there. Granted, my boys pulled the, "But I want to sleep on the couch!!" However, we put down our foot-and that was the only time they did it. This way-you all get some sleep. I hope she's better soon! It's been a long two weeks over here! :hug:

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I let the girls sleep with me when they are sick and if they sleep walk I tend to leave them be(chairs, couch etc)

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, my kids have to sleep in their bedroom. Our house is 2 floors, so I wouldn't want them to sleep on another floor. The only exception is when my oldest DD has her sleepover party, she and her friends do sleep on the first floor.

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Mine have ever only slept in their rooms (or in the spare room when guests are here and we need their bedroom). But, if it meant better sleep for everyone while she was getting over the cold, I think I would let her. :good:

6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I would let her if it was the only way she could sleep. But, I'd also let her know (as you see her cough getting better) in x amount of days, she is to go back to her bed. This way she is prepared, lol.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine have never asked to sleep anywhere other than their room, and when I've tried the guest room or my bed when they're sick it's a disaster. But if there was somewhere that helped when they were sick - yes, I'd do it. I'd make it clear that once the sickness was over, it's back to the bedroom, though.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine have never asked to sleep anywhere other than their room, and when I've tried the guest room or my bed when they're sick it's a disaster. But if there was somewhere that helped when they were sick - yes, I'd do it. I'd make it clear that once the sickness was over, it's back to the bedroom, though.

9. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

At this age I would let her. :good: From what I've seen with my two it takes more then a few days to create a habit. My two have sleepovers in each others rooms and I've had to sleep with my son for various reasons the past few months and now that Alex is here I can't and he's fine with it. :good: My only concern would be falling off the couch and that I'd have to sleep down here too as they'd be too far from me :blush: (Family room is a floor and a half away from our room)

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

If the coughing is caused by post nasal drip (I know, I and all three of my kids have that problem big time) then it may be the position on the couch that is helping her sleep. Since I don't know what your couch looks like I could be totally off, but I'm guessing her head and shoulders were elevated over her trunk. You could try recreating that position in her bed with some cushions. You could also try getting her to sleep on her tummy so that the stuff runs out her nose not down her throat while she's sleeping.

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

This !
    Mine won't sleep anywhere but their room .. they once talked about sleeping in the playroom in sleeping bags .. but as soon as they got tired they went to their beds.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Meli - I did have her up on 3 pillows in bed...but she has a tendency to roll on her back sometimes (rather than sleep on her side) while in bed...

good news - slept in her own bed last night without a sound!

1 person likes this.
  13. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Stomach bugs are the only time they sleep out on the couch. And one of us sleeps in the living room while they are on the couch in the family room. We let them leave the tv on as a distraction too. We've never had an issue getting them back to their beds. When the liking is done, so is the couch sleeping! LOL