Do you really care how long my signature is?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twins225, Jun 12, 2008.

1. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

i am farely new to this site and was shocked when i just checked my private messages. i got a message from what i suppose is an administrator asking me to shorten my signature, because everyone else's on here is short. i am proud of my story and the fact that i survived breaking my back. in fact, several of you out there have personally contacted me saying how enlightening and inspiring my story was to you. i was absolutely offended when i was asked to shorten it. her solution was to start a thread and discuss my story and introduce myself that way. while that is fine...like most threads, my story will get old and forgotten about. so i will stand by my signature and NOT shorten it. so unfortunately, this may be my last post on this site, since i am taking a stand against its administrators.

so, in short, does my long signature offend anyone???? ever heard the saying..."if everyone jumped off a cliff...would you?"". i just don't feel that i should have to shorten my miraculous story because everyone's else's is short! i couldn't shorten it anymore even if i had to anyway!

just had to get that off my chest...don't know if i will be kicked out of here for this...but we will see!

thanks moms!
    rebecca

2. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

I think your story is amazing and glad you shared it with us. I guess I find it odd why you feel the need to share that it every post? I understand survival and being proud of that. I myself, deal with an extremely rare life threatning disease, a progressive neurological disease, and my many joint/disc problems along with going through a major brain surgery and neck surgery that left me with a metal plate in my neck, 4 screws, I am missing part of my skull, neck bone and missing a portion of the outer layer of my brain. My future is bleak, either an early death or paralized from the neck down in the next few years and in the mean time my body is slowly falling apart with many neurological problems and chronic pain. I'm not trying to compare stories, but I guess I don't get why you feel the need to tell all and that's probably what the mods were saying. We all have our own stories, some are more severe then others. Maybe it would be best for a "tell only when asked or relevant?"

Edited: this disease almost took my life 4 years ago, so I can relate to you on the survival feeling.

3. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

My personal feeling is that while your story is inspiring that it isn't appropriate for a signature file. There is no rule on TS regarding signature file length, but I'm one that thinks there should be at least some guidelines. You won't be "thrown off" TS for your signature or your post, but you should know that all over the net there are people who are bothered by long sigs. I'm one, and I've asked a few people here if they'd consider shortening theirs and some have balked, and most have seen my point and complied.

Bottom line: It's annoying to scroll through long signature files. But it's currently your choice. It was just a suggestion (not mine this time, incidentally).

You certainly haven't posted often enough for it to have annoyed me. And I did read it the first time I saw it -- and thought..."cool story, strange sig, probably she doesn't know better..."

4. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

We just try to be consistent with our site policies. Short signatures are what we ask - we don't like clutter on the site. It's nothing personal, but we don't allow animated images in the signatures and have built-in systems where users can't put in too many graphics in their signatures either (including embedded images).

Hopefully it's not something that is too upsetting to you to adhere to. Thanks.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I certainly meant no offense to you or your story. One option would be for you to share your story in a post and then include a link to that in your signature.

6. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ Jun 12 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]823751[/snapback]
    I think your story is amazing and glad you shared it with us. I guess I find it odd why you feel the need to share that it every post? I understand survival and being proud of that. I myself, deal with a life threatning disease, a progressive neurological disease, and my many joint/disc problems along with going through a major brain surgery and neck surgery that left me with a metal plate in my neck, 4 screws, I am missing part of my skull, neck bone and missing a portion of the outer layer of my brain. My future is bleak, either an early death or paralized from the neck down in the next few years and in the mean time my body is slowing falling apart with many neurological problems and chronic pain. I'm not trying to compare stories, but I guess I don't get why you feel the need to tell all and that's probably what the mods were saying. We all have our own stories, some are more severe then others. Maybe it would be best for a "tell only when asked or relevant?"

Edited: this disease almost took my life 4 years ago, so I can relate to you on the survival feeling.

Excellent post.

Though my story is nowhere as amazing, I suffer from an extremely rare disorder that has almost taken my life more times than I can count. I also was in the trauma unit near death when my twins were born. Though those times have transformed my life, it is not something I feel I need to share that in every post. I have been here on TS for a long time, and by now most people that are regulars here know my story. It just takes time.

I think that adding a link to the siggie is a great idea!

I also agree with Marie that it is very annoying to scroll down that much...

7. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

I have no problem with your signature. If anything it would give me a reminder of who you are and your miraculous story.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Jun 12 2008, 01:56 PM) [snapback]823768[/snapback]
    I certainly meant no offense to you or your story. One option would be for you to share your story in a post and then include a link to that in your signature.

I think this sounds like a great solution!

9. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

I personally don't care. Everyone always has the option of turning off signatures or ignoring users (for any reason).

10. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

Dear Rebecca,
    Welcome to Twinstuff. I just read your signature, and, yes, it is a miraculous story. We have a number of members here who have experienced exceptional life events; Angie and Cristina are two who have shared theirs in this thread.

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Jun 12 2008, 01:56 PM) [snapback]823768[/snapback]
    One option would be for you to share your story in a post and then include a link to that in your signature.

I was going to suggest this, too. You could put a short summarizing statement and then the link.

11. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

thank you all, especially mommy23monkeys. that is what i figure...no one is forcing anyone to read anything here! if it's too long for you...don't read it! but i think if someone takes the time to write a lengthy signature, story, etc. it is important. as i said, i am proud to be alive and i want everyone to know it!

but since i like the site, i will reluctantly comply. i like the link within the signature idea, can anyone tell me how to do that?? i am open to private messages if that is easier.

thanks again for your understanding and kind thoughts!

rebecca

12. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

Frankly, and since you asked, yes I do find it a bit annoying. That in no way takes anything away from what you've been through and how hard you've worked to get your health back. I agree with marieber in that I guess I don't understand the relevance of having it at the bottom of every post. After the first time reading it, people will likely just scroll past it anyway, and that is what some find annoying, especially since it is so long.

I remember reading your story before. It's been awhile, but did you post it before? It's pretty miraculous and you should be very proud of getting through that hard time. I don't think you will be banned and I hope this doesn't cause you to leave TS because there is a lot of good info and support shared here.

That said, I think a link is an excellent idea and may actually result in more people reading it. Hope you find a solution you are happy with..

13. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

No issues here, my guess is its all about space and the cost!

14. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I must agree with other posts here too. It is annoying to have to scroll past long siggy's despite the amazing content.

I also don't want to have to turn off all siggy's becaus eof a few annoying ones as I find most helpful to see what age other's children are. It is often very relelvant to the post and the reply I may have.

I appreciate your willingness to shorten your siggy that people are able to read at a glance.

15. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]823811[/snapback]
    thank you all, especially mommy23monkeys. that is what i figure...no one is forcing anyone to read anything here! if it's too long for you...don't read it! but i think if someone takes the time to write a lengthy signature, story, etc. it is important. as i said, i am proud to be alive and i want everyone to know it!

but since i like the site, i will reluctantly comply. i like the link within the signature idea, can anyone tell me how to do that?? i am open to private messages if that is easier.

thanks again for your understanding and kind thoughts!

rebecca

Hi Rebecca, what an inspiring story!! Maybe one way you could tell your story is to tell it in length here in the Health forum and then in your siggy, you can put a link to the story. This way, those in the health forum could be inspired by such a miraculous recovery and those who have time to read (since most of us mommys may not always have time to read) can link to it anytime they would like to read it. :)

16. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Since you asked, yes, it does bother me. I don't read long siggies but they are a pain to scroll past constantly. I'm sorry you feel like the admins here are mean, but it's s clutter and courtesy issue. Most people don't like long siggies, no matter the content.

If you need help setting up a new siggy I'll be more than happy to help you. Just drop me a PM and I'll tell you how to add a link (and even color if you'd like) to your siggy. :D

17. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Why don't you just start a blog and post a link to it in your signature instead?

18. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

Honestly, since you have asked, I think it is too long.
    Actually I think a lot of siggys on this board and most others I visit, are too long.
    I personally don't even read them, unless I am trying to understand a certain perspective (like how old your kids are, etc. then I will read your ticker)

It doesn't matter how amazing the story in your signature is - I don't think it is necessary or approriate. If you want to share a personal story, then start a new thread. (not just the OP, but to all of us)

It makes it that much longer to scroll down every single thread you read - really most of it is siggies, if you think about it.
    To each his own, but you asked! B)

19. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I also care because I don't have the fastest internet connection. Scrolling down in not a problem, but long signatures mean that the thread goes to two pages (or more) faster and loading the second page often takes my connection a long time.

However, I did read your story earlier this week and you are right to be proud! I would love to seem the long version in the Health forum and I would certainly take the time to read it. But I don't need to read it at the bottom of every post you make.

I'm a fan of short siggies, mine is very short and I personally think about half the people who have responded to you on this thread have signature pushing the limit, just to give you an idea of the variety of opinions on signatures...

20. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Jun 12 2008, 03:56 PM) [snapback]823768[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking. Great idea Trish.

21. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PetiteFleur @ Jun 12 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]823824[/snapback]
    Frankly, and since you asked, yes I do find it a bit annoying. That in no way takes anything away from what you've been through and how hard you've worked to get your health back. I agree with marieber in that I guess I don't understand the relevance of having it at the bottom of every post. After the first time reading it, people will likely just scroll past it anyway, and that is what some find annoying, especially since it is so long.

Ditto.

22. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all...I'm more of a private person but I think it's fascinating to read other ppl's stories.

23. rjmoni26

rjmoni26 Well-Known Member

wow, what a story.. but i agree.. it would be easier to just put a link in your siggy... post it somewhere, a blog especially.. and everyone can check it out! Still gets exposure!

24. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

It really doesnt bother me at all .. but i will add that MANY of us here have some amazing and touching stories. Over the years that I've been here I've gotten to know alot of wonderful people that have incredible stories of strength and survival. I've read their posts and visited their sites. We have babies here that were born severely pre-mature with health issues one can only imagine. We even have a set of conjoined twins that made national headlines during their separation surgery .. I myself have a child with a serious heart defect that has had open heart surgery.
    Your story is touching and we are all so very glad you survived to be able to tell it ... BUT to add the whole story to your siggie is a little much and I DO think a link to your story would be a wonderful way to share it with all who want to read it.
    Please know we are here to encourage one another and give hugs and help and advice whenever possible.

Welcome to TS. :)

25. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

Its an inspiring story...but why does it have to be attached to every single post that is made?

I like the idea of providing a link. I'd also suggest maybe shortening it to: I survived x, y & z. Some of the other ladies have done that here for their amazing stories.

Also, there is always the option of disabling signatures (ie for multiple posts in the same thread). Below where you type your post there is a section for Post Options. Just uncheck the box that says Enable signature.

26. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I hope you are not getting your feelings hurt :hug99: While you are STRONG and AMAZING, I do hope this isn't making you upset! :hug99:

Personally, it tells me WHO you are when you post. I think it's more amazing than 12-24 mos. of your twins' weights and heights.... It couldn't hurt to shorten it, but you won't be asked to leave! We value all our members and welcome you!!!

If you decide to leave it as is, I'll deal with it. I do think it's worth being proud of and it does help me identify you since you are relatively new....

27. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I doesn't bother me because I would just scroll right past it and not think twice. I have to agree with another post, a link might be more appropriate. If you've been asked to shorten it, I would say it is because it is for the better of the site, not to pick on you and taking their suggestion would be the best decision, but like I said, that's just my opinion and in the end you have to decide for yourself, not everyone else.

28. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I will be totally honest, I haven't even read the whole thing. I made it through a couple sentences, and that was it. I'm sure it's an inspiring story, but the font is small, and it's a lot of text, and I have the attention span of a gnat.

29. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jun 12 2008, 07:43 PM) [snapback]824117[/snapback]
    I have the attention span of a gnat.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious :rotflmbo:

30. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Hi Rebecca, :sign0016:

I'm sorry if you are offended or not feeling welcome due to this. I have found TS to be a tremendous source of support, advice and friendship - from child related issues to current events and well - everything! I do remember your siggy from an earlier post. Your story is very inspirational - you are an amazing and strong woman!! Still, I do agree with the suggestion to post a link to it. The more you post here the more you will understand the siggy issue. I for one do not turn off all sigs, I think they are very helpful in responding to a kid related post or even getting where someone may be coming from regardless, but the extra long ones are annoying to be honest, and really no one is going to read it every time anyway. :love0028:

31. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

Just as an information point, I'm actually MORE inclined to read stuff if it's a link than if it's posted in a signature :) There are probably a few others out there like me who can't resist the lure of a mouse-click.

32. ehm

ehm Banned

Yes, I do care but my opinion doesn't really matter. The opinions of the admins of the board do matter however and I believe they have every right to request whatever they see fit. They obviously have reasons for making certain requests, I doubt they would arbitrarily make random requests. I personally find your post to be very condescending toward the people who run this board, saying things like "from what i suppose is an administrator" is just rude in my opinion. If you have a beef with the site so be it, you can stay or go according to the policies that is everyone's right.

but long signatures mean that the thread goes to two pages (or more) faster and loading the second page often takes my connection a long time.
    I thought the pages went by number of posts per page not length of posts? All the multiple page threads I have seen have 20 posts per page.

33. JenniferBrz

JenniferBrz Well-Known Member

Wow - things seem to be a little heated around here! :rolleyes: I guess the consensus is to shorten the siggy. Truly I read it was amazed and keep on reading... it does not bother me in the least. I suppose if I had a slower connection that would be a different story. I guess I feel life is to short for these types of ...pettyness (sorry that is harsh). If she (you) want to keep the story- I vote let her, without making her feel bad. I am guessing she is (you are ) upset enough to possibly stop posting. I just feel bad. She obvioulsy feel very strongly about her story. Is is really that bad to scroll over it? Maybe I just dont post enough but I dont see the harm. JMO

By the way - the few stories including her's I have read are AMAZING! I would love one of you ladies to start a thread regarding those types of stories! After reading some of those I laugh at myself and think so what I have 3 kids- almost bleed out during my emergency section- I am so blessed to have only gone thru that!! NOT A BIG DEAL, it really puts things into prespective!

I dont know about you ladies- I go read some of the life after loss forums- I had a m/c my first pregnancy and I can relate a bit- anyway reading those posts makes me feel so blessed even as hard things can get! My point- everyone wants to be heard in some way. If this makes her feel better about her fight for life. Ask yourself if we really should have a problem scrolling thru it. -unless it is a connection thing?-

JMO

34. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I've seen bigger signatures than yours and frankly, some of them forced me to wear my sunglasses when I went online. ;)

However, a signature is just what it implies... a name or a distinctive characteristic which identifies you. A life story or an inspiring story does not belong in a signature, unless you can shorten it down to read "xyz survivor" or something like that. I like the idea of a link to the story in your signature, maybe you could even blog about it like someone suggested, or just do one of those "My Story" web pages, many of which are free on the internet.

Let us know if you decide to do that and start a blog. Link us up, I for one love leaving comments on people's blogs :)

35. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter to me. It's your handprint and not offensive. Like others have said, I have seen some signatures alot longer in length with lots of dancing neon "thingys". ;)

It might be more distracting for people who spend their day on these boards and post every hour. For the occasional poster, it's not a big deal to scroll by it. In the whole scheme of things...very trival.