Do you really care how long my signature is?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twins225, Jun 12, 2008.

1. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me at all!

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't like long signatures because I have to scroll through them each time I want to read a message you've written. It's interesting to read everyone's story once, but after that, not necessary. However, if it's important to you to put your story in your signature than it's fine by me!

3. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

I think you should leave it on - Like a past post said, some people put in their signature the weights of their twins each month -

We should be free to write whatever we want - there are no images attached - don't comply and keep your story in your signature.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I feel bad that you feel bad :( I read it the first time I saw your siggy. It made my day! What a true miracle!!! My spirit was lifted by reading it and is every time I see it. :)

5. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

The first time I read it I was so inspired!! What an amazing story!

But honestly now It's kind of annoying. But I'll just scroll through it...not a big deal.

I am on another site that is VERY strict about signatures!! it doesnt' bother me at all.

6. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

you could also put it in your "Personal Statement" on your profile page. Or...maybe it won't fit?

7. ehm

ehm Banned

We should be free to write whatever
    Unless the people that run the place request differently.

don't comply and keep your story in your signature.

Are you ok if your children just decide to 'not comply' with whatever rules you have set in place or whatever requests you make of them? How can we raise children in the best manner we possibly can when there are people out there urging other to just 'don't comply' when they are asked my someone of authority to do something?

8. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

I would and do expect my children to follow roles - however, there are no set or written roles about what to include or not to include. This person feels strongly about her story and for her, writing about it is healing and helping her cope. I simply meant to tell her that if she feels strongly about it, she should do what is right for her.

9. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love to read siggies most of the time bc you unserstand a little about the person, maybe I am just nosy. But that one is long with tiny text. I am inspired by so many stories here, we have all been through so much. Your story would be great for the health issues forum.
    fwiw, I think my siggy is too long (big) and keep meaning to change it too.

10. ehm

ehm Banned

QUOTE(Debbie F @ Jun 13 2008, 01:23 PM) [snapback]825183[/snapback]
    I would and do expect my children to follow roles - however, there are no set or written roles about what to include or not to include. This person feels strongly about her story and for her, writing about it is healing and helping her cope. I simply meant to tell her that if she feels strongly about it, she should do what is right for her.

but there is a written 'rule', I just copied this from the Help section

Please note that there is a character limit to how long your signature can be

Please, OP, do not feel I am belittling your story and all you have gone through. Honestly, I have been thinking about it off and on since I first read it and I admire your strength/determination etc that you have obviously shown in order to be where you are today after all you have had to endure. With that said, I don't think that gives anyone permission to belittle people of authority who make requests according the the rules that make their site run.

11. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Debbie F @ Jun 13 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]825183[/snapback]

There are rules by the way. Here is the TOS:

Behavior that disrupts Twinstuff for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to:excessively lengthy signatures,

We do have rules here, just like there are rules everywhere. Last time I checked we do not live in anarchy. It is really annoying how people seem to feel that rules do not apply to them and then carry a banner decrying a lack of "freedom." Good grief. The OP was asked very kindly if she would consider editing her siggie and rather than comply or discuss this via PM, she brought it to the forum and cried that her rights were violated and she had to "take a stand." Please. We often PM people because they have too many tickers, or write something questionable, etc... That is our job and we do it to make sure this site runs as well as it does. If it wasn't for Trish and Craig this place would be a mess. It is one of the most organized and well run forums I have ever been a part of, thanks to the rules and people that are willing to comply.

12. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Jun 13 2008, 01:41 PM) [snapback]825221[/snapback]
    but there is a written 'rule', I just copied this from the Help section

Yes, and BTW, I stand corrected on that. My previous post explicitly said there was no limit and there is. It's just currently set (IMO) too high. I think the administrators of TS have wanted to allow for some flexibility and creativity but do expect users to display common sense and conform to some general standard and have dealt with signatures on a case by case basis.

13. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand why you are proud of your story, it must have taken a lot of strength and courage to get through that ordeal. I am not offended by your signature. However my understanding about signatures on this site is that the point of them is to give a very little bit of information-basically names and ages (and some people prefer to leave out the names for security) with maybe a couple of lines of extra information. I think the point of keeping the signatures short is that there is not so much stuff for people to scroll past.

I am thinking that you could maybe put your story in your profile instead. You could have it in the personal statement section, that way anyone who looks at your profile would see it. I also like the idea of putting in a link. Then you could have a line saying I survived xyz, read my story here.

14. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Since you asked-- yes, I personally think it is too long for a signature.

15. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

Wow. I can't believe how so many members have taken so much time out of their busy twin-filled day - me included - to think about and comment on this TS member's signature!

I read it once and now I scroll past it. Just like I scroll past the ones with names, weights, ages, etc, etc. I've can honestly say that I've never given the length of it a second thought. If I don't have the time to scroll through a signature then I shouldn't be on here at all. :D

I will say that I was slightly offended one time when a moderator moved one of my posts because I had posted the same question on two different boards (FY and 1-4). I was not aware of that rule and thought that it was kind of silly since I thought posters from both boards would be able to help me....which I thought was the point of this forum to begin with.

Yes, we all have to follow rules in life whether we like them or not, just like we have to obey speed limits or suffer the consequences. But seriously, it's just a signature. Is it really worth this much discussion?

16. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Is it really worth this much discussion?

I am going to assume (and hope) this question is being asked to the OP since she is the one who ASKED for responses!

17. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

hi again everyone. thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read and respond. i especially appreciate those of you who responded without attacking me. on my behalf, i just wanted to respond to a few points that were mentioned and then i will leave it at that. when i first mentioned that i thought i had received a message from an administrator (i think my exact wording was "...from what i suppose is an administrator"), my intent was NOT to be rude, i simply didn't know. and as for bringing the topic to the forum, i did so because i simply wanted honest opinions, because i just didn't see what the big deal was. i wasn't being rebellious or whining about my rights...again, i just didn't know! apparently though, i am not the only one who feels the way i do about it.

as for"rules" about signatures that are too long...if twinstuff really wanted to keep control on this, they need to enforce it! for example, i am a member of several forums that if you try inputting a long signature an error message comes back saying the text can't be more than "x" number of lines.
    just a thought...if it was enforced here, this post wouldn't exist.

finally, i do think this topic has gotten blown way out of proportion...anarchy, freedom...? seriously, what are we even talking about here??

but i do appreciate the HELPFUL replies. i do like this site, so i will work on changing it. i am not really familiar with the site yet, so it might take me some time, so please bear with me while i figure a solution to please everyone.

thanks again,
    rebecca

18. caba

caba Banned

Well, you DID sub-title it "Taking a stand" ... that sounds a bit ... hmm, what's the word ... like you are being oppressed or something ... and you did make your post very dramatic with a lot of of !!!! and ???? so it sounded like you were upset and angry and mad ... not that you were just trying to ask a simple question like you are now stating ... and you did say that you would stand by your siggy and NOT shorten it ... so, umm, how exactly were you NOT whining about your rights? and no, I wouldn't jump off a cliff if everyone else was ... but I would shorten my signature if the site admins asked me too ...

I honestly don't care one way or another what someone does with their signature ... I think your is too long ... and yeah, once people read your story once, I don't think they would read it over and over again ... so a thread to explain yourself seems like enough to me ... but hey, do what you want. It's not like you are going to get kicked out over it ...

19. ehm

ehm Banned

I have been thinking about signatures and remembered that not too long ago when people were putting the little bus graphic in their signatures a mod offered to help me add it to my signature (the same mod who also offered to be my team mate in the race game) which means mods can edit signatures causing me to believe admins can as well. I would think if they wanted to, they could have just gone in and changed your signature but instead they preferred contacting you personally (and interestingly enough they are still allowing it to stand now, probably because of this stand?).

20. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

Sure, its a little too long....but who cares???? Like so many others have said, read it once and then just scroll past it just like I do all the others--long or short.

21. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sunshinetwins @ Jun 13 2008, 02:11 PM) [snapback]825397[/snapback]
    Wow. I can't believe how so many members have taken so much time out of their busy twin-filled day - me included - to think about and comment on this TS member's signature!

I read it once and now I scroll past it. Just like I scroll past the ones with names, weights, ages, etc, etc. I've can honestly say that I've never given the length of it a second thought. If I don't have the time to scroll through a signature then I shouldn't be on here at all. :D

I will say that I was slightly offended one time when a moderator moved one of my posts because I had posted the same question on two different boards (FY and 1-4). I was not aware of that rule and thought that it was kind of silly since I thought posters from both boards would be able to help me....which I thought was the point of this forum to begin with.

Yes, we all have to follow rules in life whether we like them or not, just like we have to obey speed limits or suffer the consequences. But seriously, it's just a signature. Is it really worth this much discussion?

Uh, this wouldn't be discussed at all if the OP hadn't ASKED for opinions...

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 13 2008, 02:23 PM) [snapback]825425[/snapback]
    as for"rules" about signatures that are too long...if twinstuff really wanted to keep control on this, they need to enforce it! for example, i am a member of several forums that if you try inputting a long signature an error message comes back saying the text can't be more than "x" number of lines.

but i do appreciate the HELPFUL replies. i do like this site, so i will work on changing it. i am not really familiar with the site yet, so it might take me some time, so please bear with me while i figure a solution to please everyone.

thanks again,
    rebecca

I was going to suggest this too. Frankly, I'd be surprised if I started to type such a lengthy siggy and it let me go on and on. I guess I would assume it would stop me at one point. I think this would be a great solution.

No one is saying this is a huge deal, but again, it was asked and answered. Sure, some feel the same way you do, but I would say the majority are annoyed by it. I don't think you should take that as an attack. When people are asked direct questions, they are going to answer them honestly. I'm sorry you don't agree with most of them. And I agree with Erica (Caba), your initial post was a bit antagonistic, like you were looking for someone to challenge your "right" to post what you want. Sounds like only 1 admin contacted you via PM (didn't call you out publicly or anything). Maybe the conversation should have stayed there to be resolved.

22. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 13 2008, 02:23 PM) [snapback]825425[/snapback]

We are currently looking into adding a tool that will automatically enforce signature length limits so we can take the guesswork and moderator/admin work out of it.

23. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 13 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]825425[/snapback]
    as for"rules" about signatures that are too long...if twinstuff really wanted to keep control on this, they need to enforce it!

Hence the PM you received.

-Cathy

24. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Well, for now you got a PM from an admin/mod which is the way they're enforcing it. Frankly, I find it strange that you're suggesting you'd only comply to rules if you were physically stopped from breaking them. If you're asked/requested, you have a problem?

25. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

Adding a link to the signature is a great way to compromise. The truth is that every piece of text and graphic take up space on TS server. So by providing a link in your sig rather than the whole story every time you post, you help conserve space on their highly trafficked server. Just a practical view point.

26. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I think when someone starts a thread on a very large, very public web site asking for opinions on something, they shouldn't expect that the responses they receive will only be ones that agree with their own point of view or only be ones that they find "helpful." It is the nature of diversity. Someone may very well have typed out a reply they thought was "helpful," but it is not found to be so by the OP.

27. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 13 2008, 03:23 PM) [snapback]825425[/snapback]
    hi again everyone. thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read and respond. i especially appreciate those of you who responded without attacking me. on my behalf, i just wanted to respond to a few points that were mentioned and then i will leave it at that. when i first mentioned that i thought i had received a message from an administrator (i think my exact wording was "...from what i suppose is an administrator"), my intent was NOT to be rude, i simply didn't know. and as for bringing the topic to the forum, i did so because i simply wanted honest opinions, because i just didn't see what the big deal was. i wasn't being rebellious or whining about my rights...again, i just didn't know! apparently though, i am not the only one who feels the way i do about it.

finally, i do think this topic has gotten blown way out of proportion...anarchy, freedom...? seriously, what are we even talking about here??

thanks again,
    rebecca

If you weren't sure of her role, why didn't you PM her back and ask? Sorry, but you asked for opinions and you got them. You say you were asking for honest opinions, yet you are complaining about the ones that didn't support you. The above post doesn't seem to be consistent with your OP, subtitled "taking a stand". At any rate - I think everyone is now well aware of your story! You don't really need to try to please everyone but I imagine the mods/administrators would appreciate compliance with a simple request.

28. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter to me!

29. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins225 @ Jun 13 2008, 03:23 PM) [snapback]825425[/snapback]
    hi again everyone. thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read and respond. i especially appreciate those of you who responded without attacking me.

I didn't see any posts here attacking you - there were some of us that disagree with your viewpoint. That is not the same as attacking.

on my behalf, i just wanted to respond to a few points that were mentioned and then i will leave it at that. when i first mentioned that i thought i had received a message from an administrator (i think my exact wording was "...from what i suppose is an administrator"), my intent was NOT to be rude, i simply didn't know. and as for bringing the topic to the forum, i did so because i simply wanted honest opinions,

And that is what you got, honest opinions.

because i just didn't see what the big deal was. i wasn't being rebellious or whining about my rights...again, i just didn't know! apparently though, i am not the only one who feels the way i do about it.

If you are concerned with rules and their enforcement, then starting this topic was not the way to go about it - instead, PM a mod and discuss among yourselves.

but i do appreciate the HELPFUL replies.

By helpful, do you mean only the ones that agree with you?

i do like this site, so i will work on changing it. i am not really familiar with the site yet, so it might take me some time, so please bear with me while i figure a solution to please everyone.

thanks again,
    rebecca

I am done with this thread. It has become silly at this point. Good luck all.

30. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

Been dying to use this :BDH:

31. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with the moderator. It would be more appropriately suited in a "About me" in your profile than as a signature. Sorry! :)

32. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(PetiteFleur @ Jun 13 2008, 04:55 PM) [snapback]825585[/snapback]
    Sounds like only 1 admin contacted you via PM (didn't call you out publicly or anything). Maybe the conversation should have stayed there to be resolved.

That would have been the appropriate response.

33. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I agree. This subject should have been handled privately and not on the public board.

34. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JB07 @ Jun 14 2008, 01:34 AM) [snapback]825981[/snapback]
    Been dying to use this :BDH:

OMGosh that's funny!.......

Well, what an introduction you've made here. No disrespect, I too read your story the first time and then scrolled through it after. I too believe rules are made for a reason. We've all respectfully complied.
    You certainly have every right to feel special from what you've endured. But to call this much attention to it IMHO is just being a little on the dramatic.
    There are others among us that have endured just as much if not more, maybe not in the exact way you have but it's all a matter of perspective isn't it?
    I think a link would have sufficed.

35. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

i have requested that this thread be closed.
    thanks for everyone's help.

rebecca