do you share spoons, bottles, etc?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lindsay084, Mar 28, 2008.

1. lindsay084

lindsay084 Well-Known Member

i usually feed the girls off of the same spoon, and sometimes if one doesnt finish her bottle and the other is still hungry, i will just give her the rest of her sisters bottle. does anyone else do this or is it gross?

2. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

We always did that until they had different formula. I mean they are with each other all the time and share toys so if they get germs they get germs. I am a germophobe but for some reason it doesn't bother me that they share. I know a friend of mine said her pedi told her to NOT share anything. Mine never mentioned that and we have been fine...so far...

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Mine have always shared spoons/bottles/anything and everything. I, personally, don't think it's gross...they are siblings, not strangers. Plus, I would have to walk around with a wipe to wipe down each and every thing they put in their mouth before the other one comes and does the same thing. :nea:

:)

4. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Yes, my girls share spoons and sippy cups. It's just so much more convenient and not a big deal really. I mostly breastfeed, but yes, one has "finished off" a bottle from the other one before.

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I am also guilty. I was super careful not to when they first came home, but I got over that real quick!

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Definitely. Mine shared, and still share, everything.

7. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

We have always shared except when ds had thrush.

8. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Not when we first got home, and for a little while afterwards, but then they shared everything.

9. jillangel

jillangel Well-Known Member

Me too. Pacifiers, spoons, bottles. My pedi said paci's were fine but don't share bottles. Well I tried and admit I got lazy and couldn't stand to see waste and end up giving them whatever the other doesn't finish and everyone has been ok. Heck they take each others pacifier and bottle away from the other and stick it in their own mouth so they were going to share germs no matter how careful I am. Now if one were to get sick I would try to keep each to their own stuff but even then see it a little impossible that the other wouldn't somehow catch it.

10. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

We share spoons and sippies but have not shared bottles...they are on different formula.

Amy

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never (and still don't) shared spoons, bottles, or sippies with my two.

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Shared everything except bottles because DS refused a silacone nipple... so when (and if) they had bottles they were individual.

13. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I figure, they share my boobs? why not everything else?

14. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]We share everything in this house, spoons, bottles, boobs, sippy cups, jars of food, pacifiers you name it they share it. They have had two very minor colds since they were born and I really don't think it is very avoidable for them both to get sick. [/SIZE]

15. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Yep, we do it too.

16. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls share everything. I use 1 spoon and 1 bowl for dinner and when they do get bottles I have no problem going back and forth with them on that either. They share my boobs and I know everything is clean so I figure why not.

Cute story: The other day hen they were getting ready for the bath I left them on the floor naked because I forgot facecloths, and I came back in and caught Sofie licking Maia's feet. Sofie puts everything in her mouth and Maia loves have her feet played with so I figured whatever! :lol:

17. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We share everything and always have. I don't think it's gross at all. It's convenient.

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Member

Wow, I'm surprised at all the posters who answered that yes, their babies share everything! Mine share bottles/pacifiers too but I don't do it in public or around other people. I'm afraid most everyone would think it was gross...So I only do it at home.

19. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I've always used one bowl, one spoon. As for bottles, I let them share unless there is something in the bottle (in the early days mylicon) and not vitamins. As long as its straight formula and one doesn't finish and the other needs a little more, I say what not?! They put their mouths on all the same toys anyway (and on each others' hands, feet, faces, etc!).

20. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

They will do it later anyone... someone is always swipping the others' sippy.We didn't do bottles but with food and spoons we used one. Even now we use the same spoon.

21. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(b/gtwinmom07 @ Mar 28 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]693462[/snapback]
    We always did that until they had different formula. I mean they are with each other all the time and share toys so if they get germs they get germs. I am a germophobe but for some reason it doesn't bother me that they share. I know a friend of mine said her pedi told her to NOT share anything. Mine never mentioned that and we have been fine...so far...

Same here! We share it all but formula cups as they are different formulas and I put vitamins in the formula as well and I dont want one to get more than the other.

My PED said sharing was fine as she agreed if one got sick, they both would!

22. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

In the beginning I was super careful about pacis - I was nursing so bottles weren't an issue. One day I realized that i don't wash or sterilize my nipples between feeding them, so - they're sharing anyway! A year later I can't keep one's sippy from the other and don't bother trying. And yes, one bowl, one spoon for solids. Building up those immune systems!

And this is JMO, but - I don't really care what 'other people' might find gross - when THEY are dealing with twins they are welcome to give me their opinion! (sorry, feeling ornery right now!)

23. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

i don't "let" them share anything, but the occasional and inevitable binky swipe has happened and i no longer go to wash it as i did before. i stopped when they started crawling and pretty much were licking the floor. their bottles are personal too, and when one leaves some behind i feed it to the other, but after putting his/her own nipple on the bottle. i use separate bowls and spoons for solids, yet every once in a blue moon will stick the spoon in the wrong babies' mouth and again, i say "darn," but i don't stress.

i do my best i guess and roll with it when it happens, since i figure they lick the floor and share the spit on their toys (which have ALSO been on the floor).

but i am a total non-sharer as far as spit is concerned--i only share cups with DH, even drinking from my parents' cup grosses me out--when i was single, i would only drink from my brothers' cup, and i NEVER shared a straw--when friends asked for a sip from my soda when i was younger, i would hand it over and say, "keep it" LOL i am VERY easily grossed out in this department (it's a quirk i guess) sigh

24. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Mar 29 2008, 09:07 AM) [snapback]693674[/snapback]

:lol: so true!

25. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lindsay084 @ Mar 28 2008, 11:46 PM) [snapback]693449[/snapback]
    i usually feed the girls off of the same spoon, and sometimes if one doesnt finish her bottle and the other is still hungry, i will just give her the rest of her sisters bottle. does anyone else do this or is it gross?

I ALWAYS seperated everything fanactically until one day at the peditricians office, they both had colds and I freaked because Jay was about to put Peyton's sucky in Austins mouth. My peditrician just laughed and said, Hun, they are gonna share germs no matter what you do. You can't avoid everything and you are just stressing yourseelf out abouyt one more thing that you shouldn't. It was then that I realized they were BOTH sick. They had shared germs despite my efforts to keep them seperate. Now we let them share everything, it hasn't made one bit of difference. Spoons, suckies, babas, you name it. It just makes life easier. Especially feedig from a spoon. Put it in one mouth and while he is swallowing, feed the other, etc....\

HTH
    Shannon

26. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We share everything, too much trouble to keep seperate.

Oh, when my DD got a virus, my DS didn't even they they share spoons at every meal

27. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine are 3 months old, but basically newborns as far as adjusted age (ten days). in the nicu they told me not to let them share bottles or anything else when we get home so we don't..... but after hearing you all i look forward to letting them share in a few months time. sounds much easier!

~~jl

28. monik

monik Well-Known Member

Guilty!

29. careyayn22

careyayn22 Well-Known Member

I only keep things seperate when they are sick or getting sick...otherwise, I don't worry about it. WE don't share bottles much....but once in a while we do.

30. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Mar 29 2008, 09:07 AM) [snapback]693674[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly!

31. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]We share everything ~ DD is always grabbing DS binky and putting it in her mouth...even though she won't take one herself. She just wants to have his :blbl:

As Cohlee said ~ "I figure, they share my boobs? why not everything else?" DITTO!!!

April :)
    [/SIZE]

32. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!! You must be kidding.. some people don't?? Wow.. Why? I just thought it was standard with twins.

33. becky5

becky5 Guest

Always!

34. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I do this all the time! I don't think it's gross. It's inevitable really!

35. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Yep, they have always shared :)