Do you still call your twins "the babies"?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We've been calling Sullivan and Finley "the babies" since before they were born - and I've been trying to make an effort to call them something else, at least sometimes! :laughing: They are, and always will be, the babies of our family. :)

Anyway, I try to call them "the little guys" whenever I think about it, as it differentiates them from our older DS. They do respond to both "babies" and "little guys" now, as well as their names - plus a few other funny nicknames!

Do you still call your twins "the babies" or have you come up with something else? :)

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i still call them the babies but am trying to break the habit since we're planning on having another & i don't want everyone confused. :laughing: both DH & i also refer to them as just the girls as well. i hate calling them big girls though because i'm not ready for it! :blush:

3. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I'll sometimes say babies, but usually will say my little one's or my kids. I've never called them the twins, although I hear a lot of other people refer to them that way.

4. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

Mine have recently become very adamant that they are NOT babies, so I have had to wipe that word out of my vocabulary altogether. It's easier for me, having just the two, because I can call them "the boys". But I also, just as often, call them Tomandjack or Jackandtom...the beauty of picking one-syllable names. Probably because I grew up as the first half of Bethandcathy.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Still the babies :blush: They're the only two I'll have, so I guess they'll always be my babies :wub:

I am trying to work hard on calling them the kids, though I always have to stop myself.."the bab...er...kids..."

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They're the kids now. I hardly ever call them babies.

Thank goodness those baby days are behind us. Now if they'll start peeping in the potty, I'll be a happy camper (peep is pee+poop!)

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing: My son calls pee...peep. "I peep in the potty." Except that he does nothing in it.

8. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I still call them the babies. Sometimes I'll call them "the girls".

9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Since my youngest is the "baby" we call the twins "the twins". We try to use their names as often as possible though but the twins is the easiest for us when we're out and about.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Since ours is the only girls on both sides of the family we always say, "the girls".

11. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I mostly use 'the kids' 'the twins' or 'A&A.' My MIL and SIL still call them 'the babies' and it annoys me. They are 3 years old! They are not babies anymore!

12. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Never used "the twins." Switched from "the babies" to "the girls," but that was just so easy, since I already had "the boys." :D

13. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

We still call them "the babies", and sometimes we call them "the girls". And of course DH says "I will always call them my babies!" He is soooo whipped!

14. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

Since we only have the two it's easy to call them "the boys". I don't specifically remember calling them "the babies", but I guess I must have. I just wrote a grocery list that included "kids toothpaste" and I know that at some point I must have written "baby toothpaste" on the list - I just don't remember when!
    I've never called them "the twins" - the rest of the family does though. I suspect that if they were b/g I would have ended up saying "the twins".

15. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I have a variety of names for them.

Boys
    Little Men
    Monkeys/Chipmonkeys (Rarely either of those these days)

16. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, my situation is a little different, but we refer to all of them collectively as "the girls." Jo and Ellie used to be "the babies," but at 4 and 5 are now "the little girls." Of course, being in the middle Jo can go both ways. I'll say I'm taking "the big girls" if I'm talking about just Annie and Jo.

Last year they'd be on the playground and it was time to go, so I'd call, "Josephine Elizabeth," like it's all one name!

17. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We switched from "the babies" to "the little boys" or "the twins" at around 18-24 months old. I have two older boys, who are 8 and 10, so I often need to differentiate. "The twins" is what I use most of the time when not referring to them specifically.

18. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Mine have always been "the girls", but it's a problem now that we have a new baby girl! I'll say, "the girls, I mean, the twins" a lot now, but I've never called them "The Twins", so that sounds weird to me. The baby is only two pounds less than my smaller twin, so calling them the "big girls" doesn't fit either. I think I'll stick to "Anne-n-Christine".

19. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

interesting how most who answered have same sex twins... I don't get to call my b/g twins "the girls" or "the boys"... I guess now its more of "the kids"... though that's not that exciting. sometimes its "the twins", but not much. there are times I have to stop myself from saying "the babies"!

20. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I say the boys. Lena is the baby, although I almost always call her "baby Lena" and the boys call her baby Weena.

21. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Around 2ish, I noticed I was still calling them "the babies". Now, I have switched over to "the twins" or "the kids". Although, my mom still calls them the babies and I catch my SIL doing it sometimes too (still).

22. ejradcliffe

ejradcliffe Well-Known Member

Still "the babies" here...often followed with, "well, they're not really babies...". I try to say their names. I have twin nephews who are 4 years older than my twins and I always called them "the twins" so now when I say it about my two it sounds weird. Mine are still my babies, but not the babies of the extended family (there are 12 grandchildren) anymore so when I call them "the babies" that also sounds funny. I usually just revert to "colin-n-claire."

23. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

We usually call them by their names but sometimes refer to them as the little boys. Other people call them the TWINS but we really try not to.

24. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I say "the twins" sometimes, but try use their names for the most part. I also catch myself calling them "the babes" (not babIES) from time to time. I called them the babies for the longest time though.

25. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

This is what I am struggling with right now. I have a 8 & 10 year old girl, and 3 year old twin girls. The younger ones don't like "Babies" or "Little girls". I am left with "twins" but think I need to find something else. I am wondering about "the princesses" or "monkeys" or ....something else.

26. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my grandmother still calls them the babies - but she's their great-grandmother and 83 years old so I let her indulge :) even though it kind of annoys me...I've always called them the kids or the twins - mostly the kids...which is also what my mom calls them...

27. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I still often slip and call them "the babies" and they are almost 5!!! Otherwise, I say, "the kids."

28. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Once in a while I still call them the babies. I think DH calls them the babies more often than I do. Usually I call them the girls or the kids.

29. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I never called them the babies or the twins. I've always called them the girls or the ladies. But they are my only two... our fam and friends call them the twins (which is funny because my family has A LOT of twins!).

30. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

"i usually say "the babies, i mean, the big boys." but they know they will always be my babies;). sometimes one of them calls me "hey, baby!" it's so cute!

31. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

the girls!!

32. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

To other people, I call them my kids. To them I call them 'baby girl' or 'baby zalea' etc.

33. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

EXACTLY !! I hate saying "the twins" but when they are so close in size and weight it is hard to say "the girls" & "the baby" anymore. Meanwhile the twins still call the youngest "baby" - she doesn't really have a name to them. She is "baby" and might be for a long time still.

Heather

34. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I giggle every time someone calls them the "twinks". Because while it's cute, it's sooooo not true. I mean, they don't party, they aren't gay (that I know of) and Alice is definitely not a boy!!

35. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

With b/g twins I can't say boys or girls but now have to say kids as we are expecting more babies and don't want to confuse them. But now talk about how they are big kids to get them prepared and not feel like the babies are taking their places. I never call them twins though.