Do you take your two to the doctor alone?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by **Diane**, Feb 12, 2008.

1. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

I have the babies 1 year doctor's appt tomorrow and I really don't want to cancel BUT unfortunately DH isn't gonna be able to come with me (he's come to every appt to help out) as he's got an important meeting and Feb is just really busy for him.

Am I nuts to think I can do it alone?? My main concern is what to do with the babies when they are only in diapers and we are waiting between the nurse weighing them and actually having the doctor come it WHICH can take about 10/15 minutes. I will have my stroller with me.

Usually DH takes one and I take the other and we have a blanket around them while waiting but with only me I can't hold both for a long period so do I put a shirt on them and hope they will be content in the stroller?

I just don't want to put the appt off...I have tons of questions for the doctor.

So do you do it alone?

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I have always taken them alone. I just bring the stroller and keep them strapped in as much as possible (like when waiting for the doctor to come in, in just their diapers). One stayed strapped in while the other was examined. The hardest part is consoling them after their shots, but we used a pacifier, and that usually calmed them down enough. Goo luck!

3. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

Mine are 7 months old and I have always taken them by myself. Yesterday we were there for 4 hours between the check up, prescriptions, flue shot and some admin stuff at Kaiser. When they were in the diapers, I just sat them up on the table and moved my chair in front of them so I could be close to them and stop them in case they fell. (DS sometimes arches still and falls)

When the PED is looking at 1, I stick the other in the stroller so I can help her if needed.

I never really thought much of it......... I assumed that is just what twin moms did!

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I've always gone alone too....between regular visits and sick visits, there is no way my DH could make appointments!!

I bring a bag full of 'goodies' (stickers, crayons, books, toys, food etc). to play with while we wait...they have LOVED to color on the paper that covers the table since they were about 14 months old...stickers are fun too (just make sure they dont eat them).

At that age- as PP said, one stayed strapped in and then we switched. I ALWAYS have some Puffs of food of some kind since it is a good distraction. We read, sing, do whatever it takes to keep them happy!=]

You can do it!!!

KC

5. LB

LB Well-Known Member

I take them alone as well. The last time I had them both on the table while we waited and just corralled them with toys and singing. Same as pp it was hard to console with the shots but I dressed them, put one in the stroller while one got their shot, consoled that one (gave binky too) and then the same with the other...Stickers really helped too...the nurse had a basket of stickers that they played with after getting their shots and that took their mind off of it right away!

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I take all three of mine to appointments - no choice. Don't cancel the appointment - you'll be proud of yourself after!! They'll be fine, just strap one in the stroller when you need to, take snacks, sippys, & a couple of small toys. I would make a list of what you want to ask your doctor so you don't forget amid the craziness ;)

7. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We've always been fortunate enough to have both my DH and mom with us at each appointment. They hold each child and "manage" them while I go down my list of questions with the pedi. It makes it so much easier because I always have a long list of questions and concerns and this way our pedi has my undivided attention. However, if I needed to do it by myself I would definitely bring lots of snacks, toys, and books. Ours love stickers, too!

8. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I take them alone too! The double stroller help to keep 1 child in while the other being exam. They are 16 mos old so I take their favorite toy, sippy cup, crackers or animal cookies to keep them occupy.

Diana w/Rianna and Justin

9. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I've only taken them to the doctor alone.. I bring them in the stroller, go in the room undress them both and sit them in the stroller and hand them to the doctor or nurse one at a time.

10. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I've always taken my kids to their dr appt alone. I sometimes have all 4 with me too. I just don't see it as a big deal.

I bring a bag of snacks (pretzels or whatever) and a stroller. It's really not hard at all.

You can do it! No worries, your anxiety over it will be much worse than the accomplishment you will feel when you get home.

11. **Diane**

Thanks ladies! I just wasn't sure if I could do it BUT I'm with them alone all day so I'm sure the doctor visit is no different then being at the mall or other activity we attend....just that they are only in diapers. Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll definately be bringing snacks, toys and bottles to keep them entertained.

Wish us luck...it's needle time tomorrow :rolleyes: ;)

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

If I really needed to, I'd do it alone. Fortunately I've never had to. DH has gone to all well visits (we can do those at night), I took their nanny who watches them during the day while I work with us when we went for Synagis, and they've never had to both go for a sick visit at the same time.

I'd definitely take a bag of tricks (snacks, toys, etc.) and the stroller.

13. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

YOU CAN DO IT! I've done it alone most of the time. Even when they have gotten shots. Just bring things to entertain them. When they were that age I kep them in the stroller, and left their shirts on with blankets. It only takes a moment to pull it off.

14. HT

HT Well-Known Member

I have taken my twins plus a 3 year old to the doctor a lot by myself, including yesterday. It isn't my preference, but what can you do? The part that I think is the hardest is them getting shots. You can't console the 1st one while the 2nd is getting shots. On one occasional they brought one of the receptionists in to hold one. I would prefer to have a family member with me on those occasionals.

15. Kaylee Marie

Kaylee Marie Well-Known Member

I've only taken them to the doctor alone once. As soon as my doc found out that I didn't bring a mommy's helper, he called a nurse in to occupy the other child. He told me that he prefers someone to come along so that he can have more of my attention and I can get more out of the appointment. It's hard to remember all your questions, the doc's answers, and any other comments doc may have when you're wrangling two children. Doc didn't give me a hard time about it and said that he'd always make arrangements with a nurse if I must show up alone, but he prefers that I bring someone or give the office advance notice that I'll require extra help from a nurse.

Do you have any friends or family members who could fill in for your husband? My DH has never been to a check-up because his work schedule is fairly inflexible. I've always brought one of our parents or friends.

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

At one year, I did and it was not a big deal. I didn't take them for their actual checkup (my mom came with me), but I took them for flu shots and a couple of illness visits. They were too young to hate the doctor at that point, and I just left one strapped in the stroller while the other was being examined. There was a little fussing but it wasn't bad.

I also took them by myself for their 2-year checkup and that was a whole different experience! I had the stroller with me, but they were both so freaked out that I wound up holding them both the whole time. And I had to call the doctor later to go over some of my questions, because it was too hard to have a conversation with them screaming in my ears. But it's totally possible -- it was just deafening. :D

17. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

I have taken them alone many times. I prefer to take DH these days since they are so active. The worst part is the shots when they cry and it's hard to console 2.

But you CAN do it!!!

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't take them alone when we have well visits, I plan it for a day DH is off since it a longer appt. But I do take 2 or all 3 of them alone for sick visits or any other appt. that won't take as long.

19. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(summerfun @ Feb 12 2008, 02:07 PM) [snapback]618090[/snapback]
    I don't take them alone when we have well visits, I plan it for a day DH is off since it a longer appt. But I do take 2 or all 3 of them alone for sick visits or any other appt. that won't take as long.

This! :agree: For well visits I don't go alone, mainly because of what you mentioned, the weighing. :rolleyes: But I do go alone my two to sick visits.

20. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]I've never taken them alone. Either our nanny or DH will come with us. One time neither were available and I asked my good friend Linda to come with us. My two are just too busy to go alone!

Bridget
    [/SIZE]

21. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

I feel very lucky that we're able to schedule all well child visits around DH's schedule. I think it's very important he be there (and not just to help corral babies :D ) He really wants to be there too. He usually attends to them both if I have a lot of questions, then I always have to give him the run down in the car. It's nice not to have to struggle with clothes/diapers on and off on your own.

I did have to take them by myself for their 15mo check ups because he had a meeting he couldn't get out of and I didn't want to reschedule. It was more work, but no big deal. You can do it. I had the stroller with me, but didn't use it. I just let them play with toys. One was on the floor playing while the other got the shots. Luckily, DD gets over it pretty quick so she was fine by the time it was DS's turn for shots. Now HE requires more comforting.

22. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

No, I've never taken them alone either, too chicken.. I always have my mom or DH with me. We just got back from today's appt and it was mayhem, I don't even bother with the stoller anymore because they would never sit still let alone in a stoller. Today they had table and chairs for the little ones and the aide had tons of books they can sit and look at but my two were all over the place this book that book, look over there, look over here, one wants to sit on this chair, the other this chair, one is booking down the hallway...you get the idea. For me I feel more safe that each of us can have our full attention on one of the boys they are just entirely to active right now.

I think it's doable definately, but given the choice I'd rather take someone, I mean I don't feel bad like I can't handle them by myself it is just a whole lot easier and I feel for the parents who have to and those of you who think it's no big deal you are awesome! I'm sure they can have a nurse come in and help if you need one I wouldn't worry. GL!

23. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I take mine everywhere by myself. I have taken all 4 by myself many a times...nothing I want to do but I have to most of the time (last time it was for my older 2's 8 & 5 year check up...bc of a scheduling issue around lunchtime we were there almost 3 hours, in a tiny room with my 4 kids through lunchtime...yes I was ready to give them all away to the next person by the end of that. But you get through it. Our nurses are fantastic so they always help out. Just be prepared, bring your own books and toys so you don't have to worry about the germy ones there. Snacks and sippy's are great too. Sometimes I bring a brand new book they haven't seen yet.

24. Momma~O~Three

Momma~O~Three Well-Known Member

I've been taking my girls to their appts (and any I've had as well) alone since day one. Untill recently DH had a very demanding job & we needed all the OT pay he could get so I never even considered having him take off to go with me.

25. bethanne

bethanne Well-Known Member

You'll do fine. Just take cups of juice, snacks, books, whatever else you can think of to keep them busy. I always take all 3 of mine and rarely have too hard of a time. Good luck!

26. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I think out of about 30 trips to the peds office (lot's of sicknesses) dh has only gone with me to 3 or 4 of them and he was only at their 2 month well visit and their 1 year (I think). So, I have pretty much done it on my own. It was a little overwhelming the first few times but I became a pro at it because I really had no choice. I did as pp said. I kept them in their stroller as much as possible. Did one child at a time and brought several distractions. I brought bottles to their visits up until we switched to sippy cups and I always brought snacks and usually some of their favorite books and a couple of toys and a pacifier for Lorien. It can be a bit chaotic and stressful when they are both fussing from the shots and trying to dress them both back up and all that but it's totally doable. GL and let us know how it went.

27. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I have always taken my boys by myself, plus my DD who is 16 months older than them. It can get stressful, but I try to bring favorite toys and books, drinks and cereal. I've always used the stroller to get us from the car to the office, but I've never taken the stroller to the exam room. I leave the stroller in the waiting room near the receptionist. We just use the room as a miniature play room . . . one where I really need to be on top of my game to keep them out of all the drawers, off the desk, and away from the computer. When I took the boys in a couple weeks ago for their 2 year visit, one of my boys was hanging off the sink trying to do a flip. I swear we were waiting in that room for 45 minutes. I thought I was going to go crazy! But we survived without any tears! It's always exhausting, but totally doable. It's definately better to have help, but I bet you'll do fine if you try it alone.

28. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Always have.

29. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I've always taken mine alone. My DH works 1/2 an hour away and can't come home easily in the middle of the day. I think my MIL went with me a few times when they were still on heart monitors at the beginning. I always took their stroller and a snack to keep them in the stroller! Now I take all 3 by myself. I just try to take snacks and small toys to keep them busy and keep them from touching things in the pedi office!

30. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

I have always taken them by myself. Except for their 2 week old visit, my DH came for that one.

31. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I've always gone alone as well. I'm pretty good at holding them both at once, and if I need to hold the one getting checked alone, I have toys or something special with me (sometimes a sucker for desperate situations, or just crackers or something) to keep them distracted. Then I reward myself with a coffee from starbucks or something afterward!

32. mpleonard

mpleonard Member

I've never taken mine alone to the dr. I actually try to schedule my appointments for when I know my mom will be in town or I have gotten friends to go with me. I know I could manage them alone if I had to but I don't want to!!!

33. **Diane**

Thanks everyone!

I took them alone this morning and they did WONDERFUL! I had a morning appt so it wasn't to busy and we got in right away...not that much waiting. I took the suggestion of toys, snacks and bottles but they were fine in the stroller "people watching." I held one at a time during the examinations and even was able to talk to the doctor WITHOUT any one screaming. The only outbursts was at needle time but that was to be expected. Everyone made out great...they are both happy and healthy 12 month olds :)