Do you vaccinate your children?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by CraigS, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Do you vaccinate?

1. Yes, for everything.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No. Never.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but only for specific diseases.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Craig, have you checked back in on your thread today? I noticed you posted in another thread this afternoon and wondering what you are gleening from this multi page thread?

The poll results right now are very interesting........

Yes = 91
    No = 3
    Yes but only specific diseases = 9

2. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(missmomoftwins @ Apr 17 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]224018[/snapback]
    Someone else had said something abt them being poisonous or deadly...I do not remember what exactly was said, but what I was getting at is taht she (and you for that matter) make us sound like terrible people that are poisoning our kids.

If it wasn't safe then the govenrnment would never approve of it. If it wasn't safe and caused all kinds of terrible diseases and mental problems then the government would not approve it and any good parent would not givie it to thier kids. But they ARE safe and they DO prevent deadly diseases and they ARE NOT proven to be more harm than good. And for that reason I will protect my children with vaccinations.

I never said you were a terrible parent for vaccinating your children, nor do I feel that I implied that. I have said all along that I do what I feel is best for MY family, taking all of my research into account.

As for vaccines "protecting" your children, NO vaccine is 100% effective, some are only 50% effective. So to say that they are "protecting" as if they are foolproof is wrong.

There have been many times the government approves something and later, after people were injured and even died, they pull them off the shelf. Like I said before, the only people I trust to make the right decisions for my daughters are myself and my DP.

So are you saying that I am not a "good" parent because I don't vaccinate my kids? I get that feeling from your post, the middle of the sentence in your second paragraph.

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Erin, that is not how I understood the "good parent" part, I took it to mean if the vaccines weren't approved and were deemed dangerous then no good parent would give it to their child. I didn't interpret it to mean anything that would directly relate to anyone in this discussion since the vaccines are approved, just a hypothetical situation. QUOTE
    so I think I may bow out here.
    maybe just for the time being it might be best since I think you are taking some things very personally that are not at all referring to you.

4. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 17 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]224082[/snapback]
    So are you saying that I am not a "good" parent because I don't vaccinate my kids? I get that feeling from your post, the middle of the sentence in your second paragraph.

No you are doing what you think is right for your kids and that makes you a good parent. You can do what you feel like doing for your family. I just said that if it was harmful then the government would not approve of it and we would not give it to our kids.

I never said you were a terrible parent for vaccinating your children, nor do I feel that I implied that. I have said all along that I do what I feel is best for MY family, taking all of my research into account.

As for vaccines "protecting" your children, NO vaccine is 100% effective, some are only 50% effective. So to say that they are "protecting" as if they are foolproof is wrong.

First of all, yes I do feel taht you are implying that we that vaccinate are bad parents. I feel that those who are against the vaccinations are saying more hurtful things than those who are for it (putting toxins into our babies little bodies, etc). LIke we are purposefully trying to harm them.

Personally I would rather take my chances with a little problem like ADHD than with a deadly disease that could take my kids away forever!!

And on that note...I will now go back to just lurking in this forum...

5. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

For those who don't vax, do you also feed your children only organic and natural foods?

6. LmSjt915

QUOTE(marieta @ Apr 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]224106[/snapback]
    For those who don't vax, do you also feed your children only organic and natural foods?

Mostly, yes. For cost sake I wish we could feed them entirely whole foods/organics but that prevents us from doing it 100% right now.

7. LmSjt915

QUOTE(missmomoftwins @ Apr 17 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]224101[/snapback]
    No you are doing what you think is right for your kids and that makes you a good parent. You can do what you feel like doing for your family. I just said that if it was harmful then the government would not approve of it and we would not give it to our kids.
    First of all, yes I do feel taht you are implying that we that vaccinate are bad parents. I feel that those who are against the vaccinations are saying more hurtful things than those who are for it (putting toxins into our babies little bodies, etc). LIke we are purposefully trying to harm them.

Personally I would rather take my chances with a little problem like ADHD than with a deadly disease that could take my kids away forever!!

And on that note...I will now go back to just lurking in this forum...

Christa, I hope you understand that I am not trying to make you feel like a crappy parent, or attack you in any way. I am simply trying to state what is true. YES vaccines have toxins in them, and YES vaccines are not 100% effective. Many of the "deadly diseases" that are vaccinated aganist nowadays aren't so deadly, it is just portrayed that way to scare people into doing something without thinking twice. It's normal to be scared of diseases, just the word "disease" is scary in itself. It is also normal to trust the government, doctors, etc. That is what people are brought up to do. So no, I don't think you are a bad person or a bad parent. I like you :)

I just don't agree with many of the "facts" being presented on this topic.

8. LmSjt915

QUOTE(Dianne @ Apr 17 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]224091[/snapback]
    Erin, that is not how I understood the "good parent" part, I took it to mean if the vaccines weren't approved and were deemed dangerous then no good parent would give it to their child. I didn't interpret it to mean anything that would directly relate to anyone in this discussion since the vaccines are approved, just a hypothetical situation. maybe just for the time being it might be best since I think you are taking some things very personally that are not at all referring to you.

I think that some things WERE referring to me. The comment that those who don't vaccinate "homework" is just silly and unfounded. So yes, I took offense to that comment. This is something I am very passionate about (obviously) and I don't take it with a grain of salt, so I guess that I am going to take some things personally.

9. titania

titania Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marieta @ Apr 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]224106[/snapback]

for the most part. we do what we can.

as i said beore, i have no problems w/anyone else vaxing. but for those of you who do, how many of you are current on your own vax? i know even before i started looking into vaxes, my dr never mentioned anything to me about getting any shots. but i do know the cdc has a recommended adult schedule, but i never hear of any of my friends (who all vax their kids, btw) getting any. just wondering if anyone actually does it.

10. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marieber @ Apr 16 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]222831[/snapback]
    I voted yes for everything, although it's not exactly true. The only thing we didn't vaccinate for that most do is chickenpox. And that's because it was the recommendation of our ped to let them get it (if they get it young) and get natural lifelong immunity. I researched it and decided to do this, but if they don't get it by the time they start preschool or school, if it's required I'll get it for them.

Normally I would agree with this except that as an adult, because I had chicken pox, I also have had two cases of shingles. Both were mild but still extremely painful. For those who have a worse case that I did, the pain is usually so bad that they need to have a drug induced coma to endure it. My experience alone spawned me to have my oldest vaccinated. He had the booster for that shot today. My hope is that he will never get chicken pox, thus no shingles.

11. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(titania @ Apr 17 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]224149[/snapback]

as i said beore, i have no problems w/anyone else vaxing. but for those of you who do, how many of you are current on your own vax? i know even before i started looking into vaxes, my dr never mentioned anything to me about getting any shots. but i do know the cdc has a recommended adult schedule, but i never hear of any of my friends (who all vax their kids, btw) getting any. just wondering if anyone actually does it.

Ok I said I would go away, but this one is harmless :D

I am up to date on all my vaccinations. I even got a flu shot this year for the first time! :banana: I am not aware of any that we have to get on a regualr basis other than the flu shot...well maybe a tettinus booster every 10 years...(now when was the last time I had that done...? :pardon: :blush: ). The last "regular" one I got was the MMR at abt age 21. Apparently I was supposed to have it before, but didn't and could not go to the U of Alabama until I got it.

12. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

but for those of you who do, how many of you are current on your own vax? i know even before i started looking into vaxes, my dr never mentioned anything to me about getting any shots. but i do know the cdc has a recommended adult schedule, but i never hear of any of my friends (who all vax their kids, btw) getting any. just wondering if anyone actually does it.

Yes, absolutely up-to-date. I've even had strange vaccines, like typhoid. I intentionally will not live in malaria areas of the world because I don't want to take those drugs (some cause hallucinations and very vivid dreams). - I work all over the world, but just happen to be in Ecuador right now. - Like I said before, I will take the risk of a vaccine over the disease.

13. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that babies are DYING from the vaccinations that are administered to them and many times it is just passed off as "SIDS".

SIDS rates have fallen 30%. So if vaccination is linked to SIDS, the vaccination rates must have fallen by 20% or more.

14. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

I made the homework comment. I did not mean you personally and I think it is very difficult to glean meaning from an aspetic web-posting. I meant that one of the most important things we can do is to be educated consumers. Everytime some posts a link here about anti-vax. studies, it seems to be published from the same group. One source is not enough for me. I am vaccinated against most things... not as many as Mellizos, but enough and I would be willing to come in contact with ANY of these diseases.

I realize that many people have personal reasons for not vax, but it is important to informed and to look at all sides and find MANY sources to back up your side. I also feel strongly that pure internet research is difficult to rely on.

15. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that those who choose not to vaccinate really feel they are more qualified to make medically sound decisions than the collective minds of medical experts and physicians who comprise the American Academy of Pediatrics and other such organizations. These organizations have obviously looked at all the data available regarding vaccinations and made recommendations based upon the analysis of that data. There is no conspiracy behind their recommendations .... they are not funded by drug companies who, I will acknowledge, have a financial motive behind the development of their medicines and vaccines (which isn't to say that such motives necessarily lead to unethical results) .... they are independent panels of experts who convene on a regular basis to pour over the neverending flow of information collected and studies completed on all areas of medicine. They make their recommendations in efforts to guide physicians to treat their patients according to a certain "standard of care" that they deem best.

So unless you have vast experience in research and development, have a medical degree with years of experience behind you, or have an advanced degree in statistics which would allow you to correctly analyze a medical study (to weed out it's flaws and determine if it's sound) .... then forgive me if I question how your opinion, though based on your own research, could be more qualified than what is considered to be expert opinion.

16. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely we vaccinate. Quite frankly, every anti-vax literature/website I've ever read comes across as quackery of the highest order. It does not in any way read to me as rigorous science -- it seems like fear-based hyberbole, circular logic, histrionics, and that's written by people who don't understand science or statistics in any meaningful way. I understand some people take it seriously, but there just seems to me to be no merit in the claims. For very assertion made, I can find dozens of studies/websites/scientists/agencies that refute it, and in most cases I can spot gaping holes in the logic myself without referring to any other literature. Vaccinations are, IMO, one of the best investments we can possibly make for our children. For me the (real but very small) risks in vaccinating my children far outweigh the risks of a non-vaccinated population.

17. titania

yes, i agree there is a TON of crap out there in the 'non-vax' category. i read one book that, even with my single course in stats, i could tell right off that the author was scewing his data to make it more powerful. i know many non vaxers do their research on the cdc site, which i think we can agree is pro-vax. just in how you look at the data i guess. i don't doubt that the majority of the medical and research field feel the best thing is to vax as many as possible, and for the greater good. but i also know that my dr is not always right, and i have to weigh what i believe with what she is telling me sometimes. i do believe some vaxes 'work' (prevent disease), but its known that they are not 100% effective.

what i have to look at, which is not the same for the general public, is we have a family history of vaccine injury. that puts my children at increased risk for it too. and of course, our experiences color our opinions and outlooks, and growing up with the result of a vax gone bad, well, im sure its easy to see where i'm coming from, even if its not right for your (general you) family. we have a friend who has a family memeber who had polio, and though they don't do many vax, they did that one. i don't know how i would feel about vax if i didn't have the experience i have. maybe i would be on the other side of the fence on this.

i think i said it before, i just wish more people knew it was actually a choice. so many (yes, more than we realize) have had reservations, for whatever reason, but thought they had to do them and then regretted it.

btw, i was surprised that so many of you keep up on your own vax. i really don't think i know anyone who does! except when they step on a nail and end up in the ER with stitched and a tetnus shot! :eek:

18. mellizomama

mellizomama Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 17 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]224076[/snapback]
    I was referring to a comment made earlier in this thread that just because I don't vaccinate my children my "homework" is false. I take offense to that, just because I DON'T vaccinate doesn't mean I am some idiot that is just trying to "harm others" or be "different". I have spent many many many hours reading both sides of the argument, studying both pro and non vaccinating websites, books, etc. I have come to a conclusion that I see fit for OUR family, not the rest of the country. I do what I feel is best for my children and you do what you feel is best for yours.

You are making a decision based on what is best for your family, but where do the effects on others enter into your calculations? It may very well be that, in your family's case, there are strong medical reasons not to vaccinate. If this is the case, then by all means you should not vaccinate. However, nothing you have said indicates that your conclusion is medically founded or that you have the capacity or training to make such a decision.

I feel very strongly about vaccination having lived in countries where it is not common. I'm not saying that it is never medically appropriate to forgo vaccinations, just that it shouldn't be left up to individual parents to decide.

19. LmSjt915

QUOTE(mellizomama @ Apr 18 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]224790[/snapback]
    You are making a decision based on what is best for your family, but where do the effects on others enter into your calculations? It may very well be that, in your family's case, there are strong medical reasons not to vaccinate. If this is the case, then by all means you should not vaccinate. However, nothing you have said indicates that your conclusion is medically founded or that you have the capacity or training to make such a decision.

I feel very strongly about vaccination having lived in countries where it is not common. I'm not saying that it is never medically appropriate to forgo vaccinations, just that it shouldn't be left up to individual parents to decide.

There is a long history of reactions in my family, and also philosophical reasons that play into why I don't vaccinate. Those are just what got the ball rolling for me, and when I started learning more and more it really helped with MY decision. It is MY RIGHT to make decisions for myself and for my family, and I really shouldn't have to feel the need to justify it to you or anyone else for that matter. What are the effects on others I should be taking into consideration? I'm sure I have heard them many times before...

I do have to ask, in the other countries you lived in, what were the living conditions like? Was their proper sanitation? Malnutrition? ALL of these factors can make a huge difference in diseases and how widespread they are.

I have to strongly disagree with you about the choice not being the parent's responsibilty and right. I honestly cannot even believe that you would say that. So are we supposed to let Dr.'s and the government decide what is best for us now? Best for our children? Just following blindly and not putting a second thought into everything just because someone says it is "right" and "okay". I work in a hospital and I have come across MANY doctors that have made mistakes, many doctors who I have been a patient of before but if you don't have the $$ to pay them they could care less about you and your medical needs. Afterall they are ONLY human, just like the rest of us.

And NO I am not saying that all doctors are like this, but sadly in my experience it seems the vast majority are.

BTW not ALL health professionals stand behind vaccinating. In fact, while I was still in the hospital after having the girls my postpartum nurse came in my room and shut the door behind her. She started talking about vaccinations and why we SHOULDN'T get them for the girls. I had already made up my mind not to vax anyways, but the fact that she was practically begging us not to threw up warning signs everywhere. This is someone who works in the medical field on a daily basis and had to of known something wasn't right. She wasn't the only medical professional to have the same discussion with me.

20. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Yes, I am up to date on my vaccinations. Well, except smallpox. Had that one as a baby (showing my age), but they don't give that one any more.

21. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LmSjt915 @ Apr 18 2007, 04:52 AM) [snapback]224828[/snapback]
    There is a long history of reactions in my family, and also philosophical reasons that play into why I don't vaccinate. Those are just what got the ball rolling for me, and when I started learning more and more it really helped with MY decision. It is MY RIGHT to make decisions for myself and for my family, and I really shouldn't have to feel the need to justify it to you or anyone else for that matter. What are the effects on others I should be taking into consideration? I'm sure I have heard them many times before...

I do have to ask, in the other countries you lived in, what were the living conditions like? Was their proper sanitation? Malnutrition? ALL of these factors can make a huge difference in diseases and how widespread they are.

I have to strongly disagree with you about the choice not being the parent's responsibilty and right. I honestly cannot even believe that you would say that. So are we supposed to let Dr.'s and the government decide what is best for us now? Best for our children? Just following blindly and not putting a second thought into everything just because someone says it is "right" and "okay". I work in a hospital and I have come across MANY doctors that have made mistakes, many doctors who I have been a patient of before but if you don't have the $$ to pay them they could care less about you and your medical needs. Afterall they are ONLY human, just like the rest of us.

And NO I am not saying that all doctors are like this, but sadly in my experience it seems the vast majority are.

Ditto everything you said! <applause> I have dealt with many doctors b/c of my many med problems and you are right, sad but you are right.

And to the pp, I cant believe that you think the gov't and doctors should tell you what to do with your children and you just follow like a puppy dog? Do you also think they should tell you what kind of job you should do, what house to live in, what kind of car to drive? The gov't is already too close to comfort on civil rights.

Most people who do not vax do have a long history of problems relating to vax issues. My dh had a horrible reaction to an MMR shot which makes his children more vulnerable. The AAP says that if an immediate family member of the child has a neurological disease not to vaccinate, I have a neuro disease, so even according to the gov't I shouldnt vax my children. All of this plus the research I have done is why I dont vax my children. But besides my background, I do believe that vaccines hurt people. No I am not a doctor or a scientist, just a SAHM with a college degree, but I am not ignorant. I can read a book, look at studies, read reports, and I am smart enough to interpret them. I dont believe everything I read, I think most non vaxers are smart enough to know what to believe and what not to.

And about the "doing homework" remark made to a fellow non-vaxer, in our experience most people who do vax, do not do any kind of "homework". Their doctor tells them X and they do X without a second thought. That is what she meant by "doing homework" For those that do vax and did research both sides and made an educated decision, the "doing homework" was not meant for you.

It is everyone's right on what they chose. We will never see eye to eye, guess we all have to agree to disagree.

22. mellizomama

mellizomama Member

23. Im a teacher and I bring enough things home (cold, flu, etc) that I do not need to expose them to anything that can be prevented!!!

24. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mellizomama @ Apr 18 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]225211[/snapback]
    The government also tells you that you can't drive at 100 miles per hour while you are blind drunk. I trust you don't have a problem with that regulation? THe government tells you that you must educate your children and that you can't abuse them. Do you consider that an infringement of your parental rights or a reasonable regulation to protect your children?

Vaccination only works if a sufficient number of people do it. There are some people who for valid medical reasons cannot be vaccinated. Those people only have a measure of protection if the rest of society does their part and gets vaccinated. So yes, your decision whether or not to vaccinate does have an impact on others. Therefore, I don't think it is unreasonable for the government to decide that it should be mandatory. We have been fortunate in the States that voluntary compliance is high enough that it hasn't been necessary to mandate compliance.

I'm not suggesting that you follow any random doctor's advice. But vaccination is something that has been debated at nauseam by people who are far more qualified than you and I, and the overwhelming consensus is that it is beneficial. Yes, there are always people who disagree with accepted medical practices. And that is a good thing -- we should always not hesitate to challenge accepted wisdom. But, there is a time and way to do it. "Opting out" and relying on others to protect your children from the consequences of your decision is, in my opinion, not an acceptable option.

To the previous poster, I have lived in Guatemala, Paraguay, Romania, and visited a few much poorer countries. Vaccinations for the real serious diseases, such as polio, are well distributed. But, the lesser vaccination (MMR, etc) are less well covered. Yes, health care, nutrition, and sanitation are important to prevent the spread of disease and minimize the effects. But they aren't everything -- consider how many colds your children catch per year, in spite of good sanitary practices and good conditions. Moreover, not every part of the United States has such wonderful sanitary conditions or great health care. So I don't think we can assume that if we have excellent health care, that obviates the need for vaccination.

By choosing not to vaccinate your children, you are exposing them and others to a risk. You may deem that risk acceptable. But, if you are wrong, who will pay the price?

The gov't regulates drunk drivers by doing what? Throwing them in jail for a day or 2. My cousin was killed in a drunk driving accident. A drunk ran into the back of their car while stopped at a toll both and cracked the gas tank and the car caught fire. The doors were smashed shut and her along with her friend were burnt alive while in that car. He got 2 years in jail!! and is still driving to this day. That isnt regulating anything, just giving the drunk more rights then the victim.

Sorry you feel that I am putting others at risk and asking "But, if you are wrong, who will pay the price?" Our own gov't tells me not to vax my children b/c I have a neuro disease so why would I do it despite my research? My children would likely be damaged if given a vaccine, that is putting my child at risk and I refuse to do that. And given the fact that this is a FREE country, my unvaxed child can sit next to yours in school.

And also " Yes, health care, nutrition, and sanitation are important to prevent the spread of disease and minimize the effects. But they aren't everything -- consider how many colds your children catch per year, in spite of good sanitary practices and good conditions."

In 13 months they have had 2 minor colds. The average child gets 8-10 colds per year...Guess my kids are doing just fine.

25. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(titania @ Apr 17 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]224149[/snapback]

I am absolutely current on my vaccines. Not only because I don't want to risk getting any fatal diseases or diseases that could leave me handicapped, but because I am a reservist and required to be up to date. I recently had my chicken pox vaccines because I don't have the antibodies.

In response to not doing homework. I have done my homework and have found very skewed results. In statistical research, which is what we are looking at, results are very easily skewed to meet the hypothesis.

There are reasons that school require shots. They don't get a kickback from drug companies. THere is also a reason the the US Public Health programs are so excellent and some diseases that are more prevalent in developing countries are virtually eradicated here in the US. Sanitation and hygiene contribute, but I am willing to put a whole lot on how readily available vaccines are.

It is a choice, and I'm glad that those of you that decide not to vaccinate have done your homework, but I have done my homework as well. I work for a research lab for the federal government. Plenty of research goes into developing vaccines and it's not a fly by night operation. Many years go into it the experiments. So just as you all have done your homework to decide not to vaccinate. I have seen reports on third world country public health. I bet you didn't know that leprosy is extremely prevalant in countries such as Nepal, India and Brazil, but there are only about 150 new cases in the US. No, there's not a vaccine for leprosy, but there are treatments which consists of some of the same toxins that are required to vaccinate. I guess my argument is I can either vaccinate now, or risk an infection from meningitis or polio or even measles and end up dosing my kids up on medications that may have far works risks than vaccines.

26. mellizomama

mellizomama Member

Angie7, your arguments would have more credibility in my eyes if you didn't substitute anecdotal evidence for reasoning. I'm sorry about your cousin. BUt I'm not sure you understood my point, which was that the government can and should govern behavior that poses a risk to oneself and others. Maybe they don't always succeed, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.

Your previous posts did not begin by stating that you did not vaccinate your children because of special circumstances but that maybe this was appropriate for people in general. Your previous posts, to my recollection, called the whole system of vaccination into question and basically accused those of us who vaccinate of putting poison into our children's systems and of being uninformed dupes. At least that is how it came across. And I disagree.

It's nice that your kids have only had two colds. But, judging from your avatar, they are pretty young. Come back in three years and tell me that. Infectious diseases are just that: infectious. There is no shame or blame in catching a cold or any other disease. We don't live in bubbles and nor should we.

No, you are not free to do whatever you want. If your children don't have a valid reason for not being vaccinated, then they should not be allowed to attend a school where they expose other children. Sorry if you consider that an infringement of your rights, but the rest of us have rights too.

27. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I never considered not vaccinating has to do with a student I taught a few years ago. He was a teenage Leukemia survivor. As a result of his cancer, he was unable to be vaccinated. What kept him safe, was the fact that those around him had been vaccinated. What if a child came to school that hadn't been vaccinated due to their parents rights. If that child then carried a disease into school--and this happened with Measles not too long ago--my student could have gotten ill or died. Because someone made the choice to take a risk with their child, a child that had already battled cancer, and then had no choice to about being vaccinated, could be harmed. That is what makes the importance of vaccinating very real to me.

28. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

We choose to vaccinate our children because the risk of getting these diseases far out weighs the risk from the vaccine. Those stats have been tested by very reputable independent investigators and duplicated many times. As someone else stated, people with much more expertise have reviewed this information again and again and have recommended vaccinating.

Then there's my personal experience:
    I work for a children's hospital and the physicians here have seen the diseases we vaccinate against in real life. They ALL vacinate their children, even for the seemingly benign diseases like measles, mumps, chicken pox etc. There are some very real, serious side effects from those diseases.

The physicians I work with have actually had a hand in or developed at least 2 vaccines that I know of. They are very hard working, honest, ethical physicians who's life work is trying to keep children safe. It takes more than 20 years to develop and test a vaccine. If there is a problem that comes to light at any point, the vaccine distribution is stopped. The original Rota Virus vaccine was tested on thousands of children but not until it was approved and given to many thousands more, did they find out it can cause a very serious intestinal problem. As soon as that was discovered, it was pulled. We now have a safe Rota Virus vaccine. The original chicken pox vaccine was tested for more than 5 years in clinical trials before the investigators realized that it wasn't as effective as it needed to be. They reformulated it and it is now more effective. We are still learning whether a booster is needed to ensure lifetime protection. Science is an evolving process.

The post that spoke about her student who is a cancer survivor really touched me. We see thousands of kids at my hospital with cancer. It pains me to think they are all at such risk (not of their own choosing) because there are more and more unvaccinated children sitting next to them in school.

and...i take offense when someone paints a broad picture of those who vaccinate as uninformed, misinformed followers. I can't speak for everyone but I for one am very well read on vaccine issues. I have read many web sites, both pro and con, books, clinical trials, papers and had several conversations with my Peds and Infectious Disease specialists.

There is nothing I have learned anywhere that changes my mind. The risk of vaccines are not greater than the risk of the disease and the moral, ethical thing to do for the good of the whole population is to vaccinate.

Just my opinion.

29. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I think some need to just agree to disagree, plus look at the poll count, us 'Vaccinaters' are winning... ;)

30. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

In recent polls, some 7% of ppl believe Elvis is still alive... some people will believe what they want to believe.

(I have vaccinated, not all but most)

31. mbcrox

mbcrox Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ Apr 17 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]222871[/snapback]
    I hate to start a debate b/c I think this thread is important but I just have to say that studies prove otherwise. Most 3rd world countries do die of many diseases, not b/c they dont vaccinate but they dont have the proper sanitation or nutrition that we do. Also many studies show that diseases such as measles was 90% declined in deaths BEFORE the vaccine was adminstered. These diseases were going away on their own before the gov't came up with the vaccine so it isnt modern medicine elimating these diseases, it is natural immunity. Also the gov't and the drug companies like to panick people by saying that you have to get X vaccine or you will die. For instance, the bird flu. For months all you heard about was how the bird flu was coming and it was the new epidemic but it is several countries, killed less then 200 people, by far not an epidemic. This disease has come in contact with millions of people but they are creating a vaccine for it. Not to save a life but for the $$.

I dont' want to debate either although, I still stand on my point that I originally made and we were talking about vaccinations. It is true what I stated and if you want to start talking about nutrition and other things of course there are other problems but I am not getting into that discussion. I am old enough to have parents, and have had grandparents who lived long enough ago to be able to tell first hand their own experiences (even in their families) so I still stand firm that vaccinations are a blessing. I am not going to get into any bird flu...... whatever. I was talking about the childhood recommended vaccinations.

32. KYsweetheart

In recent polls, some 7% of ppl believe Elvis is still alive... some people will believe what they want to believe.

A poll like that can't be compared to one as this, IMO.

Plus, notice the smiley icon next to my post, I wasn't being serious, just trying to add some humor in this thread, it could certainly use it.

33. Dragonfly76

Dragonfly76 Well-Known Member

My answer was Yes for everything. I know one thing - if there were no vaccines, we'd still have those horrible epidemics going around the world and killing hundreds of thousands of people in weeks and months, that used to take place very often in earlier centuries. In Russia, still, thousands of people get contaminated with tuberculosis in public transportations in smaller towns. Someone I know, has 7 month old daughter, who hardly survived the chicken pox - I'm not ready to take this kind of chances.

34. KYsweetheart

Has the OP checked back in on his question?

35. titania

QUOTE(KYsweetheart @ Apr 18 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]225774[/snapback]
    I think some need to just agree to disagree, plus look at the poll count, us 'Vaccinaters' are winning... ;)

ok, i know you are trying to lighten this up a bit, but i found that offensive. what are you winning, exactly? i didn't realize it was a contest.