Do your kid call you mama?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Feb 6, 2014.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Ok, one afternoon Nolan came to me and asked "mommy can I call you mama?" I was like "yes baby." So since then, he calls me mama when he needs a hug or love or when he wants to tell me stories. He calls me mom/mommy when something is serious or when he is mad. I enjoy "mama". The way he says it, makes it sound like extra love. Michelle always calls me mommy only. However, my husband thinks mama is weird. He keeps asking me why Nolan calls me mama. I don't know why he thinks it's big deal though. To me, mama/mommy are not different and no biggie

Do your kids call you mama? Do you think it's weird? TIA!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The boys don't anymore. I'm Mommy to them.

Annabelle does constantly. For a month she called me "Mama, Mimi, Me-Maw". I drew the line at Me-Maw.

To answer your other question, no, I don't think it's weird. Mama might be a bit more juvenile to me but its not inappropriate to me that a 4 year old would say it. I would hope by their teen years they will switch over to Mom, though.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine do. It's usually mommy but Hannah says mama almost interchangeably (mommy-Lynn and daddy-Lynn as well and that's not mine nor her middle name lol) the boys will say it once in awhile:).
    And I don't think it's weird. I'm sure by school age most kids do not say mama:)

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I still call my mother mama when I'm sweet-talking her. ;)

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine used to.  I loved it.  Now I am Mommy.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Alice does when she wants something or when she's acting like she's younger than her actual age (6.)

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

This might be a southern thing, but most people I know call their mother "momma." Maybe it's a little different that mama? I'm not sure since I have an accent. LOL

I'm okay with mommy or momma, but for some reason I don't like just mom. There's really no solid reason why I don't like just mom, but I don't. And I'll correct them. Ha. 

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I loved it when the kids started calling me mommy.  Now.. Audrey calls me mom and I think the boys followed suit.  Perhaps he just wanted to have his own name for you.  :)  Kinda sweet if you ask me.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of mine call me mama. I call my mother "mom" but she calls her mother "mumma".

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my twins were younger they called me mama, but they've already switched over to mom or mommy sometimes, mostly mom though.  My older kids are mom exclusively.  And I don't see a problem with your little one calling you mama!

Now, my hubby's dad used to call his mother mama.....that's just weird, a 50+ yr old man saying "mama" all the time.  That bothered me! LOL  And it's a southern thing, i get that, but it's still weird to me!

11. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Mama is Dutch for Mom and since my DH is dutch that is how he refers to me when he talks to the kids so that is what they call me.  

I don't mind it but lately i have been trying to switch them to Mommy.  that is what i have always thought i would be called.  
    funny some of you think mama is babyish.  i think Mommy is babyish and mom is for older kids/adults and mama is just southern (or Dutch)

i worried there is only a small window where they will use 'mommy' and if they don't use it now they never will, and i will miss my chance to be Mommy.

12. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I loved being mama.  It's so sweet, to me.  The younger kids switched to mommy and mom much sooner, just from hearing it from their older siblings I'm sure.  

13. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

One of my kids calls me "momma" pretty frequently, but sometimes "mommy" or "mom".  The other one mostly uses "mommy", but sometimes "mom".  I personally don't really care which they call me, especially since they are only 4.  I expect them to use just "Mom" when they are older based on what they do now.

14. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! So he has been calling me mama forever lol, especially when he's sick an needs lot of cuddling. I think it's sweet..... I'm glad your kids do call you mama as well. I think my husband just being jealous lol. Thanks!