Do your kids get letter grades yet?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by StacyK, Jun 22, 2007.

1. StacyK

StacyK Well-Known Member

My son (not a twin) is 8, just got out of 2nd grade, and still receives M/P/X report cards. Just wondering if that is the norm now?

On another note...his report card is totally screwed up - I think he got someone else's grades! It lists the M/P/X grades for each quarter throughout the year & I just didn't think it looked right, so I got out his 1st 3 report cards and sure enough, I found 37 discrepancies from what was shown on the 4th quarter report card. The 4th quarter he received an "X" (Extra Help Needed) in spelling...he's a great speller and has always gotten an "M" (Makes consistent use of skill)...so I have some serious doubts about the 4th quarter grades as well. I e-mailed the Principal & she said she'd check it out - she agreed that it looked like there was a problem. Makes me wonder how many other kids' cards were messed up and parents didn't realize it. Plus, some kid out there got a really great report card (Cole's grades) & is probably going to be disappointed when he gets the real one. :(

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I've never heard of MPX grades like you're mentioning. My girls do not receive letter grades. Since my son was in kindergarten, the elementary schools have given out 1, 2, 3, 4 grades instead of letter grades. A four is above grade level, a 3 is at grade level, a 2 is not meeting grade level standards and the one is lowest of all. The thing I hate about it is teachers really differ on what deserves a 4 grade. Some give it for excellent work, but some feel that a child really needs to go above and beyond to get that 4 and there isn't alway an opportunity to do that. I also don't like feeling, when your child gets a 3 that even though that's grade level and meeting the standards, they just could have done better. When they get to middle school, it goes to letter grades, so I'm not sure why they don't have them in elementary. I think when I was in elementary, we got U for unsatisfactory, S for satisfactory and E for excellent or something like that.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Most schools I have worked in went to letter/number grades starting around grade 5. Our school uses the same 1-4 system starting in Kindergarten.

4. Cindy M

Cindy M Well-Known Member

My oldest was in the 2nd grade last year and she got the letter grades.

5. kdmom

kdmom Well-Known Member

Our school does Secure/Meets requirements/Developing in Kindergarten and 1st, and then they go to letter grades in 2nd grade.

Before I saw their first report cards, I never realized that there was anything but letter grades out there!

6. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

Our school does O/S/N (with S+,S,S- options) in K through 2nd. In third they start with letter grades, which are derived strictly from the average of classwork, homework and tests. Progress reports with all of the quarter's work go home every other week, so the kids have an idea of how things are going.

In fourth grade they start with the honor roll (highest honors for all A's, honors for A's and B's), which is a Very Big Deal because they print it in the newspaper and post it on the school doors. :rolleyes:

ETA: O=Outstanding; S=Satisfactory; N=Needs improvement

7. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

K-2 they get either 1, 2, 3, or S, N
    starting in third grade is when they start getting the letter grades

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Jackson's grading system is something like U, S, S+, E. I think they switch to A, B, C in 4th grade.

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Our school gave U, S or E grades in the primary years (K-2) and then letter grades in the intermediary years (3-5).

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

K-6 is the following:

4=Excels at grade level standards
    3=Meets grade level standards
    2=Approaching grade level standards
    1=Below grade level standards

The report card is broken down by subject area, into individual state standards (for example, one of the reading grades in Kindergarten is "Identifies author, illustrator, table of contents, and title page"). There isn't just one grade given in math, reading, and writing. It is broken down piece by piece so that parents can see EXACTLY what their child knows/needs to learn.

11. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Most of DD's grades for 1st were letter grades. The only things that weren't were like PE, penmanship, and people skills (ability to listen follow directions etc). Those grades were (S)atifactory, (I)mproving, (N)eeds work, (U)nsatifactory.

12. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

In our schools they don't get letter grades until 3rd grade. Before that we have s, p and n. S = satisfactory, P = progressing and N = not satisfactory.

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In our county in kindergarten they just mark whether /-still working on a skill or x-taught and mastered.

In grades 1 and 2 they get O-outstanding, S-satisfactory, and N-needs improvement.

3-5-get A,B,C,D,F

14. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Yes, we start getting letter grades in 3rd grade which is what my girls just finished. K-2 get: O=Outstanding, V=Very good, S=Satisfactory, and N=Needs improvement.