Do your twins fight over the silliest things?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by twinstuff-old, Feb 4, 2007.

1. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I'll put this in the age 6-12 forum since my 5 1/2-year-olds can sure fight over the seemingly most trivial arguments and it's probably only going to get worse, not better, as they get older.

Anyway, this morning my boys were arguing over whether bats are mammals or insects. One insisted they are insects, and when I tried to show him a web page that proved they were mammals, he didn't want to look and said I was probably looking up baseball bats. Meanwhile, the other twin just started taunting his brother with "liar, liar, pants on fire".

I finally got the insect fan to calm down (neither take it well when they lose an argument with their brother) by telling him we'll look it up later to see if we can find a bat that is actually a mammal (there are more than 1,000 varieties of bats out there - maybe one is related to the insect family?) If any closet scientists out there with a love of bats can help me out with this little dilemna, I'll forever be in your debt.

2. twinstuff-old

I'll put this in the age 6-12 forum since my 5 1/2-year-olds can sure fight over the seemingly most trivial arguments and it's probably only going to get worse, not better, as they get older.

Anyway, this morning my boys were arguing over whether bats are mammals or insects. One insisted they are insects, and when I tried to show him a web page that proved they were mammals, he didn't want to look and said I was probably looking up baseball bats. Meanwhile, the other twin just started taunting his brother with "liar, liar, pants on fire".

I finally got the insect fan to calm down (neither take it well when they lose an argument with their brother) by telling him we'll look it up later to see if we can find a bat that is actually a mammal (there are more than 1,000 varieties of bats out there - maybe one is related to the insect family?) If any closet scientists out there with a love of bats can help me out with this little dilemna, I'll forever be in your debt.

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

quote:
    it's probably only going to get worse, not better, as they get older.

Sorry, Craig, I can't help with the bat info, but I can tell you that your assumption is correct! [​IMG] My boys can have some of the craziest, silliest arguments. You just have to laugh.

4. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, you're just in the beginning stages of sibling rivalry. Didn't you and Mark argue about stuff? Hmmmm???? [​IMG]

5. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Some days, I just throw up my hands and cry, "DO you HAVE to both be right ALL the time?!?!" [​IMG] All of that "Yes, it is!", "No, it's not!" bickering can be like nails driving through my head...also they keep it up all through any drive, even when others are trying to have a conversation...and that drves me batty, also (mainly because then I can't understand a word that is being said).

A few times, I've played a "timing" game with them. I will shout "DING!" when an argument starts and tell them how long/short the time was from getting into the car and starting the argument. Usually, we don't get out of the school parking lot. [​IMG] I have fun with it, though (as long as I haven't had a really tough day already [​IMG])...if we get all the way out to the street before the "I got the answer first!" "No, I did! Ms. B. called on me first!", etc...then I will often shake my head in mock disappointment and tell them that they really are losing their touch and I can remember sharper days when we would not even have pulled away from the parking spot before the game was on! [​IMG]

Maybe it goes with the territory of being constantly mistaken for your brother. Each of our boys has gotten in trouble for something his brother has done and also gotten undeserved credit for good deeds performed by his twin. I think maybe their sensitivity to that, and the desire to be credited with their own good deeds, coupled with a bit of healthy competition, accounts for a lot of the arguing. And some of it is, I bet, just normal sibling stuff. Sometimes (and more often as they get older), it is not the twins, but one of them and their older brother who get into it!

Edited to fix typos and mssing letters. This darn new keyboard! [​IMG]

6. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Yeah, right, Renee, it's the "new" keyboard [​IMG]. LOL.

My girls are the same way and they don't have problems with mistaken identity faux pas at school. The worse times are getting in the car and going ANYWHERE, especially coming home from school. They both want to talk to me/tell me stuff FIRST. "I was talking!" "NO! I started first!" "NO! I started first!" "You interrupted me!" "I wasn't FINISHED!" "I told her that already!" Jeesh, many days I just want to head back to school and drop them off again [​IMG]. The best way I've learned to deal with it is to calmly say, " I can't hear either of you." I say it repeatedly, "I can't hear either of you." It drives them nuts [​IMG]! LOL. They know that it means to talk one at a time and by then we are home...we only live 1 mile from the school [​IMG]. I'm sure my blood pressure is quite elevated by then [​IMG].

7. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I'm not alone. [​IMG] (Remember Craig's broken finger incident, all in the name of getting to the bathroom first? [​IMG] )

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Mine don't argue scientific points quite yet, although Jackson will stand his ground on the most ludicrous ideas, such as mispronunciations of words, and there is absolutely no changing his mind.

All three of mine will fight, however, over the Playstation, the piano, certain toys, etc. It usually only happens when Jackson is home -- any combination of two boys gets along fine, but toss in the third one, and holy cow! So it's usually Jackson causing some injustice, to which Hayden and Brady react by going into a big drama swoon, falling to the floor, and crying as though it's the biggest heartbreak they've ever experienced. It has gotten REALLY old! [​IMG]

9. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Mine do fight but mostly they're racing to do something, anything FIRST!! Isiah always wants to be first to do something and will push past Michael and then of course, Michael being the Drama King that he is will annunciation any little tiny push that Isiah gave him. Then they'll start fighting about the video games...one of them will be playing and the other will be watching and waiting for his turn b/c they're playing a one-player game and the one that's watching will try to "help" the other by telling him where to go or what to do in the game and they can't stand that. [​IMG] We finally took the video games away on Friday, my Dad unhooked the whole thing and wheeled the tv cart with the tv and video game systems into the computer/storage room of the basement so...no video games for at least a week here! WOOHOO!!! Now, I get to see how long it is before they find something else to fight about. Oh, wait, just the other morning, Michael kicked Isiah and bent his fingernail back halfway, it was bleeding too. Ugh, boys!!

10. twinstuff-old

To answer Kathryn's earlier question, my brother and I still do fight (we had a doozy of an argument the other day), but Diane and Darlene don't so somehow we need to figure out their secret (besides the fact that they're girls--we have evidence in this thread that boy/male twins aren't the only ones to fight!)

It's been a little better lately, I'll just keep remembering what works when trying to settle their arguments and what doesn't and tweak our responses.

11. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

I am getting in on this late, but I am SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to know that my 2 are not the only ones that fight over the SILLIEST things,like colors, closeness, hair etc..... I told David if this is how it is going to be when they get older, I am going to loose my mind [​IMG]

12. Tiffers

Tiffers Member

Does anyone else have this problem with girls as well.... if so, any suggestions?

My girls drive me bonkers with their constant fighting over clothes! Up to now I have been buying their clothes, mostly different outfits, without them coming to choose them, which hasn't ever been a problem with them liking the outfits. Because i don't like dressing them the same (with the exception of maybe same shoes or jeans) i will usually buy a range of items for them to share, so they can mix and match. I am always reminding them that they are so lucky being twins because they get twice the amount of clothes to choose from.... but of course invariably they end up liking the same item, and fighting over them. I know the obvious answer to this is to take them shopping individually, which i have done occassionally, so they can choose their own things. We are about to put them into different bedrooms soon, with their own furniture so i suppose this will help to keep "their own clothes" separate. Help!! any suggestions??

13. tarajh

tarajh Well-Known Member

I'll throw in a b/g combo here - mine fight over things that aren't even real sometimes! One will be completely making up a game and the other will actually tell the one making it up that's not how it's played and it just goes from there :umm: It seems to come in spurts. They do pretty well for a while then fight like crazy for a weekish, then back to 'normal'.....it's just lovely to hear it only gets worse, thanks ladies :p