doc browns bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twingrandma, Dec 1, 2009.

1. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

I switched the boys over to doc browns after reading how they help with spit up and reflux and I have to say after just 1 day of using them the boys seem much happier and drink more with each bottle. My question is, how do you mix your formula for them, cauae I learned if you pour it in a shake it then they leak all over the place so I have been mixing it in another bottle and pouring it in, but seems like a hassle to me. And, how do you travel with them, do they leak when in the bag, so you use the little disk that they came with so it plugs it up? I don't want to have to premix my formula and refridgerate it everyday, or take already mixed bottles with me everywhere i go. Thanks for your help.....

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I used them and never pre-mixed/refrigerated formula, just pre-filled with the powder and added water when it was time for their bottles. I don't recall having the leaking problem though? Have you tried changing the tightness of the top?

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, those little discs are what I put on them to prevent leaking. I'd fill them with the water and put the powder in a container to go. Then I'd put the powder in the bottle, put the disc back on (but without the middle tube) and put the nipple on to shake it up. Either that or I'd leave the disc off and put my finger over the nipple hole and shake it to mix the formula.

Also, you can get caps that screw on the bottles instead of the nipple and use that to shake it.

4. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

For them to leak, most of the time the bottle is filled over the "overfill" line on the side. Check that. I also just use the Dr Browns cap that came with my set. Shake it up, mix in cereal or whatever and throw a top and nipple on and we are good to go. We used to premix with the Dr Brown pitcher but it takes the same amount of time and so far we havent had many air bubbles at all

5. pittmane

pittmane Well-Known Member

I bought the Dr. Brown's Mixing Pitcher - AWESOME for mixing formula. I mix about 24 oz at a time and refrigerate it. No clumps, no leaking. Totally worth it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3247691

6. Miss Conception

Miss Conception Well-Known Member

Another vote for the pitcher. It has saved our souls!

7. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Love the pitcher!! I make all their bottles for the next day with the pitcher. I feel like the pitcher makes the powdered formula just as smooth as liquid formula. We have made bottles by just shaking the formula in the bottle and it was always clumpy and more bubbles.

8. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

They also made a world of differnce for ours. We mix a whole pitcher a day at 60 ounces and then fill. We learned shaking the bottles before or after all dr b's part on defeats purpose because bubbles cause gas and feeding issues for LO's.you can buy screw on lids at babies r us.great 4 travel as well-have never used disks. We fill bottles, put screw on cap on and soak in hot water 5-10 min, then put all parts on. Instructions say not to heat w parts on because vent gets messed up pressure wise? I don't think your supposed to shake them w vent system on either as it messes up vent pressure-directions say something about unscrewing top to reset pressure