Doc won't let me go beyond 37 weeks...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MamanMag, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MamanMag

MamanMag Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

I saw my peri on Monday and she doesn't want to let me go pass 37 wks just because she says that the fluid will start to diminish and the placenta won't be as good. But right now everything looks great, both babies have enough fluid and they are growing well one compare to the other, so I'm kind of wondering... My 3 girls were born a little after 38 wks and were tiny (from 5lbs 8oz to 5lbs 15oz). I really would like those babies to have the chance to grow as much as they can!

So what do you think about the 37 wks deadline? Shouldn't we wait and see as the pregnancy progresses? We are expecting mono/di so I know that the life expectancy of the placenta could be a little shorter but already putting a limit even though everything is good right now seems a little extreme to me. What do you think?

Thanks!

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I would probably push it, as long as things went well with the pregnancy. I went for ultrasounds twice a week to check fluid levels (Twin B was low) and the placentas during my last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy. I had my twins at 40 weeks. At that point, the placentas were starting to break down so I was induced. I swear I'd still be pregnant if I weren't induced! :laughing:

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If she doesn't think the fluid/placenta will last, how about frequent monitoring once you get to 37 weeks? Like every day? & if something isn't looking good you know that any day you go in for a check it could be their birthday?

1 person likes this.
  4. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

I'm having di/di twins and my OB will not let me go beyond 38 weeks. I think it's also because she doesn't want me to go into labor and end up needing an emergency c-section. it seems that here most schedule c-sections do not go beyond 38 weeks.

I'm quite done with this pregnancy so I'm having my C-section on Sunday (37w2d)! Up till my last OB visit a week ago my fluid levels were still great. I've contractions about 2-3 times a day. I'd probably try to push it if I could attempt a vaginal delivery, but my twin A has been breech since 29 weeks so it's a CS for us.

You'll never know what will happen in the weeks to come, so perhaps you could see 37 weeks as a goal, then discuss with your doctor about pushing it further?

5. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy Member

My Peri said 36 to 37 weeks also because I have mono/di twins. I spoke with my OB because I wasn't sure that would be enough time. My OB consulted with another Peri office in my city that sees some of the largest numbers of identical twins because they are directly connected with one of the big TTTS clinics and Dr. De Lia (because of insurance I can't go there). Their office recommends 36 week delivery for mono/di twins with no complications because the increased risk of spontaneous stillbirth. My OB said that they just had stillbirth of one twin at 37 weeks with no prior complications, while being monitored very close with NST and BPP and OB appointments every week. She said that autopsy does not reveal any reason for the loss of one twin. Apparently it happens often enough among mono/di twins, but there is so little info collected and shared about them that it makes it difficult for Dr.s and parents to make an informed decision. The OB has left it up to me as to when, but would prefer to 36 weeks. I took time to think about it and decided that I would rather have possible growers and feeders in the NICU than go all this way and have a possible stillborn twin. Although it is not ideal to have babies in the NICU at all, I find it is easier to live with time in the NICU than the possibility of only having one baby.
    Get as much as information as you can regarding what is best for your situation, and decide from there. Wishing you the best!!

1 person likes this.
  6. SaraSatin

SaraSatin Well-Known Member

Pack in the protein - things like protein shakes as snacks and such. They keep lecturing me on how carbs will make me gain weight, protein will give the babies weight. I would listen to your peri, I plan on listening to mine on whatever they say when the time comes. We have little babies (most of us) in our family so I am trying hard to pack in the protein.

1 person likes this.
  7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i also would get some more info from your doc. ask why they want to deliver early, what the risks & benefits are, and if there are other options (additional monitoring as an example) and the risks & benefits of that. keep asking questions until you feel you have enough information to make a decision.

i also had mono/di girls & was also told they wanted me to deliver no latter than 36 weeks. after being on bedrest since 27 weeks i thought that was ironic, but then i ended up going into spontaneous labour at 34w1d & it became a moot point.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I had di/di frats (b/g) and the peri told me that optimal time to deliver twins is between 37 and 38 weeks...for me I wound up delivering at 36w due to pre-e but even at 3 lbs 8 oz the hospital did not keep my daughter because she was breathing normally and eating normally and her suck/swallow/breathe reflexes were fine...

I understand wanting the babies to pack it on but with mono/di's I'd follow the peri's advice...

9. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I have mono-di twins born 9/09. My OB's recommendation was to schedule my (repeat) C-section between 37 & 38 weeks. My second child was born at 39+ and had severe lung problems (wimpy white male syndrome) and spent 5 weeks in the NICU. So I was nervous about a repeat performance (my twins are boys)of the lung deal. AND I really wanted a September birthday. He agreed to let me go to 38+5, which was September 1, as long as I stayed near the hospital (I live two hours from my OB).

In hindsight, 37-38 would probably have been a better choice for me. I was closely monitored - ultrasounds every visit, sometimes visits twice a week at the end, but had no complications. My last ultrasound estimates were A @ 6 lbs. 12 oz. and B @ 6 lbs. 10 oz. At birth - four days after my final ultrasound - A was 5 lbs. 0 oz. and B was 6 lbs. 11 oz. A was the longer baby by an inch - they had clearly developed some TTTS, B was bright red (more blood) and A was very pale. A did end up in the NICU for three nights because he could not hold his body temp and was released without issue (three nights was the minimum stay for that diagnosis at our hospital). It was pretty upsetting to me in all my hormonal-ness - I had worked SO HARD to hold those stinkers in for that long and couldn't believe one was in the NICU, of course admitted the last day I was there so I was only discharged with one baby. My first NICU experience was pretty scary and although A's was a piece of cake, I would've been perfectly happy to not experience it a second time ...

1 person likes this.
  10. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

My doctor said 37 weeks too - he was a firm believer that more harm than good typically came out of trying to get as much time as possible. He said that after 37 weeks is really just diminishing returns in his opinion, the babies don't put on any significant amount of weight and they often encounter placenta, room, and cord issues more when twin pregnancies go into the later stages. I was definitely taking his advice and scheduled my c-section for 37 weeks - unfortunately I developed pre-eclampsia and had the babies at 34 weeks, 5 days anyway. You never know what will happen! My pregnancy was pretty textbook and even when I delivered the babies were content and I wasn't contracting or dilating - but still fell short of my 37 week goal. The good thing is that my two were pretty good weights relatively speaking (5.9 and 4.14) and only spent 10 and 12 days in the NICU as feeders and growers basically.

1 person likes this.
  11. MamanMag

MamanMag Well-Known Member

That would be an excellent reason! I also, no doubt, would deal better with NICU than with only one baby alive...

That's what I'm trying to do, lots of protein, I've never eaten as much eggs in my life :) as they provide the best proteins for babies... Hopefully babies will be big and strong, well not too big because I really would like them to come out easily as we are planning a vaginal birth...

Just to tell you that those U/S are not very accurate to say the least... I will be ok even at 36weeks if it's better for the babies. Know I'm starting to worry about TTTS... Because your U/S showed both twins at great weight one compare to the other when in fact it wasn't the case...

[quote name='K&T's MOM' date='11 October 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1286825541' post='1707895']
    My doctor said 37 weeks too - he was a firm believer that more harm than good typically came out of trying to get as much time as possible. He said that after 37 weeks is really just diminishing returns in his opinion, the babies don't put on any significant amount of weight and they often encounter placenta, room, and cord issues more when twin pregnancies go into the later stages. I was definitely taking his advice and scheduled my c-section for 37 weeks - unfortunately I developed pre-eclampsia and had the babies at 34 weeks, 5 days anyway. You never know what will happen! My pregnancy was pretty textbook and even when I delivered the babies were content and I wasn't contracting or dilating - but still fell short of my 37 week goal. The good thing is that my two were pretty good weights relatively speaking (5.9 and 4.14) and only spent 10 and 12 days in the NICU as feeders and growers basically.
    [/quote]

For sure I still have quite a long way to go and I would be thrilled if I can already make it to 36 weeks! I won't worry too much about it for now, we'll see when the time comes. For all I know I may be begging my doctor to induce me by that time LOL...

Thank you all for you opinion and advice!