Does anyone else have these thoughts sometimes?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 5280babies, Aug 27, 2009.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

So my sweeties are a little over 5 mos. There is a LOT going on at this age I find out. Battling BFing changes, sleeping changes, feeding changes, etc. I am now on a schedule because it is the only way I can get through my day without thinking too much. There are times throughout the day when I think..."I can't do this anymore." But then of course I can and will. I work hard on overcoming these negative impulses. I love them and their smiles, but they are caught between wanting constant entertainment and not being able to be mobile. I forget housework and play with them while they are awake - but sometimes I lay and stare at them in their exersaucer/jumperoo. We are making progress in naps, etc, but last night I did solids, bath, and bedtime alone for the third time since Saturday because DH got caught at work late. He is the best when here but I have to live with the fact that this is my role in this household for a while. Most of the time I consider myself lucky, but those moments sneak in pretty much daily when I just don't like my life. Does anyone get these feelings? I am going to see Julie and Julia tonight so that will be a treat - it is never enough time, is it? Just needed to talk. Thanks for listening.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What you are feeling is totally normal. 5 months is a difficult age, they are so curious & want to see more of the world but they are so limited in what they can do for themselves. Hang in there, because they will very soon be sitting on their own (which helped a lot with my 2), then moving. And, although once they start moving they might run you ragged, they are usually happier & easier to entertain once they are mobile! I'm glad you are getting a night out tonight, every little bit of time to yourself helps!

3. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

You are not alone in feeling that way!! I can remember walking outside and feeling like getting in my truck and driving away for a breather! I still have thoughts sometimes. When they are not mobile it is hard, I remember I can say though once they were a bit more mobile and dropped their third nap ( so we could get out), it has become more fun. There are still days I need a break, but I am enjoying them much more! Now that they are almsot walking, Im thinking where did my babies go!!! Im sure once they start walking, I will be back to wanting to run out the door again...LOL!!

Can you go out for a walk? This has always helped me. Just to be out of the house....

Hang in there, every step gets a bit easier!!

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup I still get those feelings even though mine can sit up and crawl. I just have days where I'm tired and at a loss as to what to say and do with them, so I just sit there and watch them! You are doing great Mama!!!! :hug:

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I've been having those feeling a lot today. I'm tired and my patience is worn thin. 4 months was the hardest age for me because we didn't have a schedule or much of a routine, so at 5 months I was thankful to have a schedule. I love driving (and luckily my kids love the car). On days when I felt the need to "escape" I piled everyone in the car after a feeding and drove for a bit. I am addicted to audio books since I never have time to actually read anymore.

6. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

I think that alot at night.. that I just don't feel I can do it anymore. It's those 2 hour feedings that are killing me. When I have to wake up out of a deep sleep to feed them. Sometimes I just cry. It will get better, right? lol. I know it will, but I'm just overwhelemed.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

It will get better! Your feelings are totally normal. I know I felt that way and sometimes I still do. For me, it got better at 7 months when they could sit up. Now I don't have to hold them all the time, they can play on their own some of the time, and they seem happier. I still have moments when I am really frustrated, but I do love being a mom.

8. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I am right there with you...the night time feeding is the worst!! I literally think "what did I get myself into?" I feel bad for thinking those thoughts when I know I should be thankful for having two happy, healthy, beautiful babies. I think I have had more breakdowns in the past 6 weeks then I have had in my life!

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I have good days and bad days. I hope you have fun at the movie tonight.

10. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I think I read you were thinking of joining the local twins club, I highly recommend it! You will find most twin moms have the same thoughts, and it is so reassuring to meet up with them and chat about it.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: The feelings you have are very normal. I love my twosome very much but I totally need a break sometimes and I think a break is not only good for me but also them. Have a blast at the movie!

12. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

Hang in there Ladies! The first 3-4 months were the hardest for me. The sleep deprivation was the hardest. My LO's are now 9 1/2 months old (how can that be?!) and are mobile. They are growing and changing every day. Hitting milestone after milestone. They bring so much joy (and work of course).

I definitely have those times where I just want to get away. It's amazing how even just a trip by myself to Wal-Mart can help! LOL

Hope you have fun at the movie!

13. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your posts. I also wanted to report that I did see Julie & Julia tonight and it was fabulous!!! Just the escape I needed. And the popcorn was not bad either. :good:

14. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Yay, glad you had a well deserved break! I agree with pp's the way you have been feeling is normal, for me it was hell on earth for 3-6mths but it does get so much better with the odd bad day thrown in for good measure! Your doing a great job!

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, everyday! It is totally normal. When I get overwhelmed I quickly think what I wouldnt give for some time without kids or maybe going back to work. Then the feeling goes away and I go on with my day. I think its my defense mechanism. I find raising kids super stressful and lots of days my 2 YO's make me :crazy: :hug: to you. Hang in there. When they get mobile, it gets better IMO. I loved when they could walk.