Does anyone else have to deal with dentures?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by witmuch, Dec 14, 2006.

1. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

Hey all! I have an unusual question I think anyway. Back in August I had to have my whole top row of teeth pulled and get dentures. I also have a terrible gag reflex that wasn't really bothering me after I had this work done. I haven't had any morning sickness, but i gag like crazy when I take out my denture to clean it. I think that if I ever get sick at all that it will be the denture that is my culprit. Does anyone have any advice or idea what I might be able to do. I just gag really bad, I haven't thrown up yet. But I don't want to throw up at all.
    And also the Fixadent that I use to hold my teeth in tastes good for a little while but it starts to liquify and I can taste it every time i eat or drink something and that gives me a really queezy feeling. I have heard that some of those fillers can make people sick but I had never had a problem before. I'm just pregnant and everything is magnified I guess.
    Thanks for reading!
    Lots of Love!
    Meshell from Gulfport, MS

2. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

Hey all! I have an unusual question I think anyway. Back in August I had to have my whole top row of teeth pulled and get dentures. I also have a terrible gag reflex that wasn't really bothering me after I had this work done. I haven't had any morning sickness, but i gag like crazy when I take out my denture to clean it. I think that if I ever get sick at all that it will be the denture that is my culprit. Does anyone have any advice or idea what I might be able to do. I just gag really bad, I haven't thrown up yet. But I don't want to throw up at all.
    And also the Fixadent that I use to hold my teeth in tastes good for a little while but it starts to liquify and I can taste it every time i eat or drink something and that gives me a really queezy feeling. I have heard that some of those fillers can make people sick but I had never had a problem before. I'm just pregnant and everything is magnified I guess.
    Thanks for reading!
    Lots of Love!
    Meshell from Gulfport, MS

3. AWillow

AWillow Well-Known Member

I don't wear dentures, so anything i say is coming from no experience.
    Have you considered talking to your dentist about other options for bonding the dentures in place?
    I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this. Hopefully you either find a solution or as the pregnancy progresses you can tolerate the test better.

4. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

Sorry you are having such a hard time! I also had a really bad gag reflex not from dentures, but from brushing my teeth. It did seem that the futher I got the better the gag reflex got. I still have it on occasion but nowhere near as bad.
    I'm a dental hygienist and we normally suggest that instead of using fixodent maybe you could try Seabond? It comes in a wafer form, and maybe a little easier to use. Or trying using the smallest amount of fixodent that you can get by with.
    Hopefully it will get better soon!

5. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant I used to gag all the time brushing my teeth(fake as well-3 of them). It passed around 23-24 weeks. Yeah a long time away.But I was vomitting the whole pregnancy as well.

All you can do it brush fast...gag go for it again...its torture but needs to be done.

6. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

I still have a gag reflex when I brush my tongue! I am a dental hygienist and feel like I have impeccable oral hygiene, but for the first 17 wks of pregnancy my mouth tasted and felt horrible. No matter how much I brushed, flossed, and used Listerine. I could not get rid of that terrible taste in my mouth. The only thing I could think of is that during the first trimester, your internal abdominal organs are moving around to make room for the pregnancy. Your stomach does a big flip flop and moves around, contributing to the bad taste in your mouth.
    Not much advice to offer, but time will hopefully relieve you symptoms some!!! [​IMG]