Does anyone else still use PNP's?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ldrane, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We still use PNP's for the twins to sleep in when we are out of town. They still fit in them and sleep somewhat soundly. This past weekend we used them. They never really took a long nap (about an hour). At home they usually nap 2-2.5 hours. They would also wake up an hour or so earlier in the morning then they usually do at home and they each woke up during the middle of the night each night.

Do you think it was just being in a new enviroment or do you think they might be uncomfortable in the PNP's? I noticed when we got home they slept soundly again. Long nap, normal wake up time and didn't wake up during the night.

We are going on vaca in a few weeks. My DH thinks we should definately take the PNP's. I agree as far as keeping them confined while they sleep, but I am wondering if they are getting too big to use them.

Do you still use a PNP? If not, when did you quit? Do yours still sleep in cribs at home?

2. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

I would still use them. My girls are still in cribs and I have no intention of changing until I absolutely have to. The way I figure it the older they are the more they can understand and maybe the bed transition period might be easier.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We use them! On trips they nap and sleep in them. At home we have one in the living room for TO, and one in our bedroom for Meara who sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night (from a bad dream), and comes in sleeps in our room.

Oh and yes we are still using cribs at home, but will probably set up their beds by the end of the summer.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys aren't two yet, but sleep in big boy beds at home and for the past two months have been in the PNP at my mom's. They did really well with the transition. I would say the lack of naptime was due to being in a strange/new place

5. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

We go on vacation next week and plan on using the pnps for the twins to sleep in. I pray that they will because they have not been in them since last year at vacation.
    As far as cribs go yes they are still in them and hope to keep in them for awhile especially with the new baby coming.

6. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Mine used them on vacations until over 3. They are both small so there was no weight issue. I thought they look really uncomfortable, but both insisted they were fine. Mine also slept in cribs until 3.5 even though they were both potty trained well before that age.

Best of luck!

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

If mine were still in cribs, I would have used them on our vacation this summer. But they arent so we put them in a queen bed together. Worked well for us.

8. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We always have so far, but I'm wondering if we need to stop soon. J's been holding out at around 29 lbs for awhile so weight wise we might have some issues. Though I wonder really-- he's not going to fall through... THey still sleep just fine in them and they are tall for their age. I have no clue what we'll do if we decide they have indeed outgrown them!

9. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

Yes, we still use the PNP's at Gma's house. We got back from a short (3 days) camping trip and they did the same thing yours did...short naps, waking early. I think it was more along the lines of being in a new environment rather than comfort.

They are still in cribs and we don't plan the switch to BKB until they are 2.5...that's when the new baby is due and we will need a crib.

Take the PNP's on vacation unless you think they can handle sleeping through the night in a bed. At this point in time I think DS would not be able to handle that. He wears himself out in the crib jumping and playing until he passes out. I think of he was in a bed now he would terrorize his sister and then both of them wouldn't get any sleep.

Most people I know use the PNP's until about 2.5 - 3. By then they should be able to sleep in a bed.

HTH,
    Lindia

10. my2littlebubbas

my2littlebubbas Well-Known Member

If they sleep in cribs still at home, I would continue using the p-n-p's on trips. Mine started really climbing out of them around two, so we ditched them. Otherwise we would of continued.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Sarah didn't sleep in a PNP after 6 months or so, because she started napping in her crib, but we kept Amy in the PNP for naps until after age 3. We took it on vacation (the rental house had a crib for Sarah) when they were almost 3 and she slept fine. However, she started fighting naps just after age 3, and I think it was partly that she was ready, but also partly that the PNP was getting uncomfy for her. She couldn't actually stretch out all the way anymore. So, depending how big your twins are, they may not be comfy in the PNPs anymore.

They were still in cribs till just after age 3 too (about the same time Amy gave up naps, but one thing did not cause the other). I did have them sleep on mattresses on the floor at my parents' house while they were still in cribs at home, and they slept fine, but they rolled everywhere. I kept having to drag them back onto the mattress. So, if you have a confined sleeping option on vacation, I'd definitely use it.

12. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

No, my kids are just too big for PNP's, and have been for some time. (They're about 33 and 35 pounds, and close to 39" tall!) So, they climb right out of the PNP's.

But we use the Peapod Plus travel beds, that are like pop-up tents with inflatable mattresses inside. They zip closed, and have mesh sides. They're not perfect (a 2-year-old could easily figure out how to unzip them), but my kiddos are very comfortable in them. I don't use the sleeping bag part -- I just put a regular crib sheet around the mattress and stick it inside the tent. They're long enough that my super-tall 5-year-old *almost* fits, so we could be using them for a long time to come.

That said, we're planning to transition to twin beds any day now, so on our next trip, they might just be in beds...

13. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

we just got back from a week's vacation and mine slept in the PNP's just great--though they easily climb out of them. they are still in cribs at home, too. i think because of their height though our next vacation in december will probably be the last time we can use them....

i also think the short naps were due to the new environment...

14. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We travel often 3 seasons a year for hockey. Up until now we have used a single PNP for both twins. They are in a bed at home. The last adventure we had with the PNP, they decided to climb out. They are tiny guys but very agile. I guess I'm now in the search for a new sleeping arrangement for them for hockey tourneys. There is no way we want to be paying for 2 rooms for our family. Maybe we'll just sleep one adult, one older child, and one twin in each bed for a while. Too bad most hotels only offer a king, or 2 double options for the tourneys. That's a small bed for 3! LOL

I bet they didn't sleep well due to both the PNP and a different environment. The PNP mattresses are just so thin, it would have to feel different than the crib mattress or a reg. bed.

15. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

They sleep in PNP's at my mom's and MIL's houses. They still do pretty well in them. :)

16. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! Looks like we will be taking the PNP's with us.

I don't know what the weight limit is on the PNP's....I need to look at them. I don't think they are too big though...DS weighs 28# and DD weighs 21#. They are able to stretch out in them also. I don't plan on taking them out of cribs for awhile. They have not learned how to climb out yet. I might even go to crib tents if they learn anytime soon. :)

I think you all are right in that it was probably the new & strange place that affected their sleep.

17. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I think it is the different environment, personally. Mine used P&P's for travel up through age 2. They could climb out though, so we have stopped using it mainly because of that. Now we just get two beds and they sleep in one of them.

18. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins slept in one pack and play together when they were 2 1/2. That's the way they liked it (and they are small). Liam is in a PNP still at 2 1/2 and will be for the rest of the summer (we use one at our summer place).

19. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Conner naps in a PNP at our house & sleeps/naps in a PNP at both grandparents' (Aiden has a PNP at my ILs but a crib at my parents'). For all our PNPs, we have an extra PNP mattress. I couldn't imagine those flimsy mattresses being comfortable, so we got the added one & they seem to like that. Although, they've never known any different (except ONE time we traveled without it, but folded up blankets for them to lay on instead).

I panic because I KNOW they could climb out if they tried. I make sure there's nothing within their reach that could aid in their escape & I always worry that they'll climb out now that they're older. But, so far so good (they haven't attempted to climb out of their cribs yet, either).

We're traveling to my parents' next week & then to a hotel over Labor Day, so hopefully they'll hold out for the PNPs just a little while longer......

20. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Heck yeah!
    My twins at 32 months are 35 and 41 lbs. They can both climb out of the PNP's. I still used them this last 10 days away. Still love them! Only one nap I had to go lie down in their room till they fell asleep. They slept just as well as usual!

21. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

At that age mine still used the pnp's at grammies. I would think that the waking and shorter naps was probably due to a different environment...mine never sllep as well during vacation and travel.

If you still think they are safe in them, then by all means keep using them!!