Does anyone have the (Kolcraft) Jeep Twin Umbrella Stroller?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by geminiplusone, Jan 17, 2007.

1. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

I'm looking to get an inexpensive, easy to set up/get down double stroller for my 19 month old twin girls for quick errands. Mostly would be used to take them to the Dr or to drop/pick up their 3yr old sister off at school.

I have a Valco twin runabout with toddler seat but wanted something quick and easy to use.

Does anyone have one and what do you think of it? I've only been able to find a handful of reviews and either they love it or hate it.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Tracy

2. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

I'm looking to get an inexpensive, easy to set up/get down double stroller for my 19 month old twin girls for quick errands. Mostly would be used to take them to the Dr or to drop/pick up their 3yr old sister off at school.

I have a Valco twin runabout with toddler seat but wanted something quick and easy to use.

Does anyone have one and what do you think of it? I've only been able to find a handful of reviews and either they love it or hate it.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Tracy

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I love mine. The only problem is it takes some time to get used to having to hit the doors just right to get it thru the door.

4. AmyS

AmyS Well-Known Member

I really like mine too. It's so much easier for those quick trips. Just up and down and that's it!

Amy

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Well we had one and I hated it. It only has straps around the waist so if your kids like to lean forward or out it doesn't do a very good job of holding them in. I found it flimsy and overall not worth the money. I ended up getting the Combi.

6. that1gyrl

that1gyrl Well-Known Member

I have it and my only complaint is no basket. I second the learning how o get through doors, but at elast it gets through doors. We are getting the Valco twin with the additional seat for my three year old next month and I look forward to corraling them all. The stroller is great though and I suggest looking into the paper or at Toysrus.com to try and find a coupon. I got mine for $15 bucks off! Sweet deal! HTH

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I have it....we've used it about 3 times. I just went to pull it out last week and I can't get the thing to open fully. There is something wrong with the pegs that you step on at the bottom...VERY ANNOYING!

8. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

I do not care for mine but it is the only stroller I have. It is very cheaply made. Mine is about to break so I am babying it as much as possible. Not worth the $$

9. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

We have it and like it...for the price, I couldn't do w/o it. I don't like the 3 point harness because now that my boys are older (15mos), they do like to lean out sometimes. I have a Baby Jogger, city series double and it was just way too heavy and awkward to lift in and out of the truck for errands, so we opted for the Jeep stroller. It's much lighter and compact for running around town.
    I've heard the Combi is good for serving the same purpose but I didn't want to spend the money as I had just purchased the jogging stroller.
    Good luck in your decision!
    Faith

10. GotMeTwins

GotMeTwins Member

I have it and I love it. The only draw back is the no basket thing but you adapt. For as often as I take my twins out it serves the purpose, is narrow and easy to fold up and stores easily. I don't find that it is cheaply made at all-in fact mine has stood up to LOADS of abuse.

11. Jennifer Jean

Jennifer Jean Well-Known Member

We have one and love it. In fact I gave away my other stroller and now I only use this one. I find it much sturdier than other umbrella strollers and I love the cup holder! I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a basket but I have found it is easy enough to just hang all my bags off the handles...Just make sure someone is holding the stroller when you get one twin out or take the bags off first because the weight of the bags will pull it over. [​IMG] Good luck!

12. GotMeTwins

GotMeTwins Member

I can't tell you how many times my mom and I have sat down to have lunch at Macy's and took the twins out and stroller tipped. lol! You'd think we would remember by now. It is pretty funny.

13. firsttimer

firsttimer Well-Known Member

I have been using it since the kids were about 5 months. I love how easy it is to open/close and load. It is my main stroller as the duoglider collects dust!

14. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Can't stand it group here. I kicked the wheels constantly (might be a height thing). I have only used it a handful of times and only bring it out when we are going on trips, as it packs a little smaller.

15. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

My friend had it for her twins and they liked it except for the foot strap at the bottom. The kids broke it and they had gotten a second one (one for each car) and they broke the foot strap on that one too. She just duct tapes it on until the kids break it again.

16. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

Thanks a bunch everyone! [​IMG]

I've pretty much decided (from most of your opinions) to buy this stroller.

Honestly all I'm looking for is easy set up/take down, something compact and quick. I wont be using it for shopping or going to the mall or park or zoo because I DO have the Valco. The Valco is big and heavy and after almost 2 years I still have trouble setting it up/taking it down lol so I wanted something easy and smaller for quick in and out errands.

Now if only I could find a good deal on one lol...

Thanks again!!

17. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

HI Tracy - I remember you from Ovusoft [​IMG]

I was thinking the same thing! I have the jeep tandem stroller and LOVE IT. But for quick errands, PO, Library, etc. where they do not have carts, it takes longer to open and put the boys in than get the errand done [​IMG]

I saw a MAMA BEBE one on ebay for about $60 that I am thinking of buying. It has a few more options than the jeep double umbrella i.e. baskets, reclines etc. But its so cheap I wonder if I am getting what I pay for?

Here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Travel-Double-Twin...1QQcmdZViewItem

18. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I have one that I got at a cosignment sale for $35. We used it for a long time until my DS broke the foot strap at the bottom by standing on it. I took the flimsy sunshades off mine. I also got a mess stroller bag at Target made by Eddie Bauer to hold diapers, etc on the back of the stroller.

19. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We bought one to travel with to Hawaii and when we visit family. It's great when you want to manuever something lighter and need more car space but I prefer the Duo Glider for every day use.

Some of the cons I found:
    -Sun shield doesn't really make a difference
    -no basket but you can hang things from the handles
    -No 5 point harness so they like to both lean forward...and it snaps on side/back of child
    (We bought it when the girls were 10 months and we had to snap it in the back to fit. Be careful not to accidentally catch any clothing when you do...or it will unsnap.)

Oh, and thought it'd be great when I take the girls to the doctor instead of using my duo glider but we got stuck in the middle of the doorway. I believe the back wheels are a little wider than the front. The nurse tried to pull from the front and I pushed from the back and vice versa. I had to collapse the stroller a little to fit them through.

Sharon

20. newfiefreckle

newfiefreckle Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by geminiplusone:
    Thanks a bunch everyone! [​IMG]

I've pretty much decided (from most of your opinions) to buy this stroller.

Honestly all I'm looking for is easy set up/take down, something compact and quick. I wont be using it for shopping or going to the mall or park or zoo because I DO have the Valco. The Valco is big and heavy and after almost 2 years I still have trouble setting it up/taking it down lol so I wanted something easy and smaller for quick in and out errands.

Now if only I could find a good deal on one lol...

Thanks again!!

I too have the valco and ws thinking of buying the jeep for the ease of bringing the kids to daycare. I am glad you asked this question.

21. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

quote:
    Originally posted by 1girltwinboyz:
    HI Tracy - I remember you from Ovusoft [​IMG]
    I saw a MAMA BEBE one on ebay for about $60 that I am thinking of buying. It has a few more options than the jeep double umbrella i.e. baskets, reclines etc. But its so cheap I wonder if I am getting what I pay for?

Here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Travel-Double-Twin...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey! I recognize your name from OS [​IMG]

That looks like a really nice double stroller but like you I would be leery of buying it w/o seeing it(or at least reading some reviews) because you just never know about the quality.

22. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

Thanks again everyone!

We are planning on going to BRU tonight to check it out and sit the kids in it to see if it will work out. If all is good we will get it tonight.

23. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Just adding my 2 cents late...lol

We have this stroller and LOVE it... The only problem I have with it if the handles are not long enough but im tall so thats my problem. I dont mind the no basket thing b/c I just hang my diaper bag on the back and off we go... I think your going to love it!

24. geminiplusone

geminiplusone Member

quote:
    Originally posted by nikki_0724:
    Just adding my 2 cents late...lol

We have this stroller and LOVE it... The only problem I have with it if the handles are not long enough but im tall so thats my problem. I dont mind the no basket thing b/c I just hang my diaper bag on the back and off we go... I think your going to love it!

We bought this stroller last night. We brought the twins to the store and put them in the display one and pushed them around for a bit. I thought it was very sturdy and since I'm short I had no problem with the handle length [​IMG] It also was super easy to set up/take down.