Does anyone know how much weight they are supposed to gain the 2nd year?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AimeeThomp, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know weight gain slows down a lot in the second year as compared to the first. But does anyone know approximately how much they should gain the second year?

My girls are growing taller but have only gained about 4 pounds since the 12 month visit. We only have 3 more months until they turn 2.

They've got to be getting enough nutrients or how else would they be getting so tall, right? I always worry.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, I think Alice has gained 4 pounds this year. She's 25 pounds now. But she's grown at least 4 inches too. Kid's taller than a yardstick!

Royce I think has maybe gained 5 pounds this year? I don't know. We go in for our 2 year appointment soon.

ETA growth chart link

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

4lbs is about where we are too. They are really much taller now though...not sure how much. They seem to be so picky about their foods and only actually consume one meal a day, though they nibble throughout the day. If they don't eat their breakfast, I know they will eat a good lunch. But that means they will pick at their dinner. The next day they devour breakfast, pick at lunch and eat a small dinner. I feel like I just can't win!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Meara gained 5 pounds in the second year. Ana gained 7. Meara was in the 50th percentile and Ana in the 75th. Both grew more than they gained.

5. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

In the second year my boys gained about 5 lbs each, and 1/2 way through their 3rd year (they are soon to be 2.5), they have gained about 2 lbs thus far. I think that's about average.

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Angie gained 4 lbs in the second year and Tony 6. :good: Their doctor didn't seem concerned about their weight gain so I took that as a good sign. Like Megan said, I was happy they gained anything because they were/are such picky eaters. :rolleyes:

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

4-6 lbs sounds right... We just had our 18 month check up and mine haven't gained a lb. Actually Aly lost a pound since her 12 month check up... so we're now on a high calorie diet. Mine also grew in height but not as much as they had been.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine also are on a high calorie diet too, I think between 12 months to 18 months they gained 2 lbs.

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Mine stayed at the same points on the chart (5th & 50th percentile). Jacob gained about 4 and Jack about 4.5 in the entire second year. Sounds like you're doing great!

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I just looked at a chart I have... and at the 50% would gain about 5.5 pounds... hope that helps... seems like yours are right on track - yay!

oh my... mine haven't even gained a pound in 3 months (from 12 to 15)... ugh... and have dropped on the scale.