Does congestion affect anyone's bottle feedings?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Shannon Ryan, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Shannon Ryan

Shannon Ryan New Member

One of my girls has always been congested. She also fights to finish 1/2 of her bottle. After her first burp, she cries and wiggles whenever we try to finish her bottle. She is 6 months old, and is only getting down 4 oz. about 4 times a day. If we try real hard, we can get the rest of the bottle down, but it is such a fight. It is so hard on my heart to have one of my girls have such a hard time at every feeding. Does anyone else have this problem? Does the congestion contribute to it? Or does this have to do with the formula she is on? I don't know what to do anymore...

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Does she have reflux? My friends baby was always congested and he was diagnosed with reflux later (about 6 months old). Congestion can play a role in them not wanting to eat but she may also be a smaller eater. Can you offer her the bottle more often?

3. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

I was going to say reflux too. Ryan had horrible congestion for months and has been a spitter from birth. We tried zantac, but it didn't make a difference. He's gaining weight, loves to eat and isn't in pain, so I stopped the meds. The congestion and puking have died down in the past few weeks, hopefully he's outgrowing it. Have you had your 6 month visit yet? Maybe ask for a refferal to a GI doc, 16oz in a day seems too low for her to gain weight.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

:welcome:

It sounds like reflux to me. She is probably in pain from the reflux, and that is why she is not eating well. The congestion is also a symptom of reflux. I would call the ped.

Major :hug: s! Reflux is terrible. All of my kids had it, but the twins both had it terribly and were refusing bottles until they were on the right meds.

5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

This is a long shot, but my son had laryngomalacia, and it was really, really hard for him to eat in the beginning. He would get choked up and gag and turn blue...

When you say congestion, do you mean nasal congestion?

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was thinking reflux also. I would check with your doctor. :hug:

:welcome: to Twinstuff!

7. ANGELA SHAW

ANGELA SHAW Well-Known Member

could be teething to. swallowing saliva. you might want to try suctioning her nose and than feeding her, try to keep her at a angle i that helps with reflux, and when than are clogged