Does the nap get longer?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by fmcquinn, Jan 4, 2011.

1. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

My girls have been fighting one or both naps for about two weeks now, so I decided today to try one nap. After their lunch, I put them down. They both went right to sleep. Dani slept for two hours and Lillie for 2:20. What I want to know is a) is nearly 11 months too early to go to one nap? and b) will this one nap start to get a little longer?

When they were taking two naps, they'd usually sleep 90 minutes in the morning and 45-60 minutes in the afternoon (usually 45). I was thinking that one nap would be at least 2:30. Am I expecting too much too early?

2. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My girls just went to 1 nap on Christmas Eve (they are 11.5 months, same age as DS was)...all babies are different...so if they are showing you the sings they are probably ready. It was a rough 10 days or so after they dropped to 1 nap but the last 3 have gotten much better...they have both slept for 3 hours (ok, today one of them slept on me for 2 of those 3 hours but nothing's ever perfect and they seem to be battling a stomach bug ;)). The same thing happened with my son...once he went to 1 nap it became about 3 hours long. There were always good days and bad days but 3 hours became the 'norm'. It will probably take a little time for the transition to work itself out but they should start sleeping longer.

3. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All kids are different. I certainly hoped my boys would sleep longer when we moved to one nap. No go. Anthony sometimes would sleep 30-45 minutes. ALL DAY. I say, if they are sleeping at least two hours-you, and they, are doing awesome! It seems like the most they were sleeping on two naps/day was 2 1/2 hours anyways. So to be at 2 hours and 2 hours 20 minutes is pretty good.

I think the boys moved to one nap/day around 18 months. I remember it was later. Annabella I moved a bit earlier to one nap because it was just easier with having the boys. She tended to nap when the boys were AWAKE and she was awake when they were ASLEEP. Can't have that! ;)

It's definitely an adjustment period. Annabella now will fall asleep almost instantly when we get in the car in the morning. Her nap is around 1 pm. That's when the boys go down. Sometimes she just can't make it, and I will put her down earlier.

I think for now, you could try moving up lunch earlier and then put them down right after. And do it in 30 minute increments until they are napping at the time that works best for you. Good luck!

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Noon. I moved lunch to 11am and start bringing them up around 11:45 so they are in their cribs by 12. They could go down earlier but I want all 3 napping at the same time in the afternoon so I stretch them a little and now put DS down a little earlier :).

6. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

It isn't too early. You are on the early end of the spectrum - most wait much later. You might find some days they need two naps. Our transition down to 1 nap started at 12 months for Jude but took until 16 months to be officially 1 nap every day. That was when Zoe was ready consistently. Our nap did lengthen. From about 17-20.5 months...I should say glorious months...we napped about 3 hours every day. Then it all went down the drain with the toddler bed transition. But it was great while it lasted. I do understand though that lengthening is not necessarily a guarantee.