Does this look normal?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by thirdtimemom210, Dec 15, 2013.

I was 5 weeks when I had this scan done on a low quality portable U/S machine performed by my OBGYN. I asked about the images I was seeing and all she would say is it's too early to see much but a yolk sac with no visible heartbeat. She was acting very quiet and strange. She then scheduled me for a repeat sonogram in two weeks. Does anything look alarming to any of you mothers? I am aware that you all are not doctors, but just wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this or have any input! Thanks!

[​IMG]

1. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I suck at looking at ultrasounds, but it's not at all unusual to see a sac with no heartbeat at 5 weeks. They usually don't do them that early for that reason.

2. Thank you for responding! I'm just confused that she said only yolk sacs were visible, but what are the two solid white dots attached to the yolk sacs? Sorry for so many questions! All the medical terms confuse me! Lol

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Feel free to ask questions. That's why we are here. By 7 weeks, you should be able to see heartbeats. If your OB can't, they may be willing to send you to the hospital for a better scan.

4. It's just so confusing because with my other two pregnancies, I didn't get an ultrasound until I was about 11 weeks. I don't know what exactly I'm looking at. Where is the baby and what is a yolk sac? Does anything look strange on the ultrasound?

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm not great ultrasounds either, but from what I understand, at an early gestation like 5wks, then you can't see the baby yet. All you'll see is the yolk sac. The fetal pole (baby) isn't visible yet. I know most doctors don't do ultrasounds that early for that reason. It's usually somewhere in the 6th week that you can see a fetal pole and heartbeat. 

Try not to stress too much (easier said than done, I know!) until you see your doctor again. :hug:

6. Thank you so much ladies!

7. mamabear5

mamabear5 Well-Known Member

I have had many many ultrasounds. Early and late. I see yolk sack and possible fetal pole. At 5 weeks you are only 3 weeks post conception. Still could be too early for heart beat. Relax breath.

8. mamabear5

Oh by the way, I'm on my 13th pregnancy 17 children, lord willing I will get to have my 9 th child here on earth.
    But I'm not a dr. So I can only give you my lay person opinion

9. Vividor

Vividor Member

I am an ultrasound tech and looking at this image, I see a normal looking yolk sac, which is the first structure that is seen in pregnancy, and a possible fetal pole next to it. So considering that you are 5 weeks, I would say that everything is looking great!
    They would do a follow up ultrasound in a week or so and you will be able to see a heartbeat at that time! Good luck and have an uneventful pregnancy!:)

10. Thank you so much again ladies! I'm impatiently waiting for my repeat sonogram in three days! I pray that I see heartbeats!

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree-I am pretty sure that's exactly what mine looked like at 5 weeks, only I had two of those empty looking sacks-they told me that they would have to have me come back at 8 weeks to check if there were heart beats in either of them. 
    Keep us posted!! :)

12. mamabear5

Any updates?

13. We saw two babies but only one heartbeat. I'm sad because of what could have been, but I'm thankful for at least one healthy bean. Thank you ladies for all your advice.

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

That's a bitter sweet result, but congratulations on the heart beat! I pray for a healthy pregnancy for you!