Does your area have a cut-off age for 1st grade too?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by KCMichigan, Aug 25, 2010.

1. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I am asking this after the K thread.

Our 'new' state has a cut-off age for K AND 1st (even though I think K is not required, a child does not have to attend school until age 6). The cut off for K is 5 by Sept 15th. They ALSO have to be 6 by Sept 15th for 1st.

Anyone else have a 1st grade cut off???

Is K mandatory or not???

* we thought of homeschool for K this year and then enrolling in 1st next year, but there is no way we could afford to homeschool for 2 years*

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

K is mandatory. I don't think there is a cut-off for 1st grade.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

K is mandatory here. I don't think there is a cut off for 1st grade since K is mandatory (our cut off for K is 5 by Sept. 1).

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

You can see here which states require kindergarten. (note the date, it's always best to ask your school since things might have changed)

Since K is required in TN, they only have the age cut-off for it. If you opt to hold kids out for a year, they start kinder late, not first grade (unless you've met the homeschool requirements or had them in a private kindergarten).

5. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

K is not required in Austin, TX but we do have to be 6th by Sep. 1 for 1st Grade.

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Oops...I thought it was. [​IMG]

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

K is not mandatory in Colorado. As far as the 1st grade cutoff, I did some searching, and found this in a 2007 article from our local paper -- I assume it's still true:

So, basically if they go to kindy at a private school (but I have no idea which ones are "accredited") or you move from another state where they could go to kindy at 4, then they can start 1st grade early too. But otherwise not.

I think my kids would probably be ready for K this year too, but I wouldn't want to start them, knowing there will be some kids (especially boys) in their class who are up to 2 years older. :escape:

8. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

K is not mandatory, but they must be enrolled in school if they turn 6 by October 1. They could be in K at that time, but must be enrolled in school. The actual law states that the compulsory age for education is that a child "has reached [the] 6th birthday (by Oct. 1st) and has not passed [the] 16th birthday."

For our purposes (homeschooling), I have to notify the superintendent of our district in writing that we will be homeschooling two weeks before the school year begins the year they are 6. This is next year for us.

9. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Kindergarten is not required in Kansas. You must turn 5 by Aug 31st to attend. Children are required to be in school by age 7.

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Kindergarten is not mandatory in CA (which I did not know, even after I started teaching K in CA! :laughing: When I found out, I felt like a glorified babysitter).

The cut-off for kinder is 5 by Dec. 2. The cut-off for first grade is 6 by Dec. 2. If you choose to send your child to kindergarten at a private school because they miss the cut-off, they will not automatically be enrolled in first grade (in public school) the following year. In fact, we have had parents learn the hard way, and their child has had to "repeat" kindergarten.

11. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't know about age cutoffs, because we homeschool. But I know in WA it's not required by law for kids to go to school or for the parents to even tell anyone they're homeschooling until a child is 8, unless the child was previously enrolled and then pulled out. But I've never met anyone who's not homeschooling who didn't send their kids to K, and most people seem to assume it's mandatory.

12. Dani Boyle

Dani Boyle Well-Known Member

K is not required in PA but children must be enrolled in school by age 8.

"Compulsory school age refers to the period of a child’s life from the time the child enters school as a beginner which may be no later than at the age of 8 years, until the age of 17 or graduation from a high school, whichever occurs first. A beginner is a child who enters a school district’s lowest elementary school grade that is above kindergarten." (Taken from PA state code website)

13. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

K is required for all students, but they don't have to start until the age of 6. I know that the child still must follow the age guidelines into 1st grade.

14. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

K is mandatory here. There is no cut off for 1st... they go to it right after K.

15. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

K is not mandatory in Illinois, but it is mandatory for districts to offer Kinder.

The cut off in Illinois is Sept. 1.

16. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Actually, if you are still in Kentucky, it isn't. It is mandatory for Kentucky schools to offer it, but not mandatory for students to attend. I don't think most people realize this, though, since pretty much everyone does attend. Many districts probably discourage going straight into the first grade, too. But, it is possible to skip K.

17. Nikki222XW

Nikki222XW New Member

Kindergarten is mandatory here (Maine). Last I knew, the cut-off date was that you had to be 5 by December 31.