Does your full day kindergarten have a nap?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by AimeeThomp, Aug 12, 2013.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went to orientation today and I'm shocked that there's no nap for kindergarten. I know we had nap time when I was in K (a million years ago). I know my girls always napped last year in Pre-K.

Just wondering how it is at your school.

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Ours will have at least a rest time because one of their supplies is a nap mat.

Rea doesn't really nap anymore at home so I just hope she doesn't get in trouble for talking.
    Jason will nap given the opportunity.

3. AimeeThomp

We had their nap mats from last year, but this year we just paid the fee so that the PTO got all of our supplies for us. I don't think they even have a mat!

4. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

No nap time (or rest time, quiet time, etc) f
    or Kinders in any of the districts around me. I didn't realize any schools still had nap time for Kindergartners until reading some posts in this forum over the last year or two.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes ours started off the school year with a nap, and slowly phased it into rest time, and then I think they got rid of it by the end of the year.

Kaelyn hadn't napped since she was 3, so she had rest time and was allowed to look at books while she laid there.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Nope. My girls didn't have a nap in kindergarten. It took until May for Ana to be so tired in school she cried to her teacher "why don't we have nap time here?!?!" Meara never complained, but both were pretty wiped by the end of the day.

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No naps or any other kind of rest time for our Kindergartens here. It worked out fine for us since none of my kids have napped since they were 2, but I know there were some kids who were really tired by the end of the day.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

The last school that I worked in had naps in K up until December, and they were shortened every month until then. I work in a day camp now, and the 5 year old don't take a nap there, and some are at camp from 7 am until 6 pm.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Do that many 5/6 year olds really nap? My kids stopped napping at 2! I have no concept of this napping you speak of.

2 people like this.
  10. AimeeThomp

Yeah my girls nap sometimes, for about an hour. Not if we are inside all day but at school I know they napped last year.

Maybe they're staying up too late. I've been having a really difficult time getting all 3 of them to go to bed lately. They go in their room by 8 but its common for them to still be awake at 9.

11. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

Nope. Full-day K and no nap.

12. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

When DD was in K, they were still required to provide naps. I think it had something to do with a law that 5 and under children were required to have at least 1 hour downtime during a full school day. As DD was 5 until the week before school let out, I would assume they kept it all year. I do not know if this has changed or not. I had to phase her out of naps the summer between K and 1st as she still routinely napped. The 3 boys were forced to give theirs up at a much younger age.

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Full day here. No naps, but they do have rest time at their tables where they can look at books or lay their heads down for 10-15 minutes.

14. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Mine are 5.5 and one rarely naps and the other is 50/50. It does depend on activities and such too. But I know that Jason was napping regularly up until the end of pre-k last year.

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

One of the school supplies is a towel (bath) to send with for a 'nap/quiet' time.

16. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Nope, just "quiet time" with a towel for them to sit/lay on in case they want to rest. I think they also have another rest period after recess, which (for some odd reason) is at the end of the day when it's hot as blazes outside. I don't think Blake used his at all last year, and like Rachael, all four boys stopped napping between ages two and three.

17. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Nope. They had 10-15 minutes after lunch recess for "quiet reading" time, and occ someone would fall asleep, but no nap mats or nap time or anything.

18. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

I think there is a state law that requires classrooms with 4 year olds to have a nap time. Our kindergarten has naps until the youngest child in the class turns 5. That's usually the end of September, since the grade cut off date is October 1st.

19. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

This is what our pre-school does too for the full-day kids - quiet time on mats, story time and an opportunity to nap and most kids do nap. Our pre-school includes a last year which is comparable to K in the US. But this is the exception around here and one of the reasons why we choose this pre-school, I think the children really need the break.

My 4 year-olds mostly nap at pre-school and occasionally fall asleep during quiet time at home.

20. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll find out, we don't start until 9/9 and we meet the teacher 9/4.
    Like Rachael, I don't know what this mysterious napping thing is, because my two could be busy all day and still not need or want a nap. Kids have to be 5 by Sept 1st here to start kindergarten, so their classmates are all already 5. It's full day and I have no idea if they get a rest time but I am positive if they do get a rest time, my kids will have to be coerced to take advantage of it.

21. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids went to 1/2 day, but there is a full day program. Yes, they lay down and some of the kids nap. That's part of why I refused to pay the $5000+ for full day for the kids to go. What was I paying for? It was lunch time, nap time, extra recess time, extra time in art, music, pe, and about 40 mins of extra academics.

Marissa

22. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are only half day so I have no clue. But my almost six year olds still nap! Lol! If we are busy, etc i don't force it but if home, they nap.

23. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

Our schools stopped nap time about 8 years ago. My DD was the last group that had naptime before they phased it out.

24. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

no naptime here either...

25. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No naptime for us either.

26. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

jeez, i didn't even think about a nap time. i hope they don't have one in my girls' class, cuz my girls haven't napped in over 2 years, and they're full of energy all day, which could be bad for the kids who need the rest lol!

27. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

The kids were in full day kindergarten last year and had nap/quiet time until around November 1. After that, no more quiet time.

28. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ours have 'rest' time for like 20/30 minutes-they turn on a educational cartoon and turn the lights off and the kids lay on their nap mats. Ryder was so pissed when he found out about this deal this morning, lol!!

29. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

They had rest time after lunch, which after the Christmas break turned into time where the teacher read to them from a chapter book. So rest time phased out halfway through the year.

My girls stopped napping at age 3, so this wasn't a big deal. :)

30. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yes here. Just waiting for the supplies list to know what kind of mat they want (and figure out where to get whatever!). 45 minutes, I think.

31. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope, full day K - no nap. However last year I know of at least one instance for a classmate of Jake's fell asleep - she wasn't feeling well. But there is no formal nap time.

Mine only nap when sick.

32. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

There's rest time, but no one is expected to nap. They can if they want to, however, it's just a towel on the floor so it's not very comfortable. I remember having naptime in Kindergarten, but ours was required. I couldn't sleep on the floor. The only way the teachers got me to nap at all was if I was allowed to slump over a table and sit on a chair. I couldn't lay still on the floor. So, I can't imagine my boys sleeping well on the floor. As long as they are quiet for the 30 minute rest period, the teachers are fine with them doodling or reading a book.

33. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Full day K here and there is no rest or nap time during the day. In fact, it's pretty academic with only 20 min. of center time. The rest is Reading groups, math, social studies or science, specials and lunch with 30 min. each day. It's basically what 1st grade used to be before all day K.

34. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

My dudes are doing half day... but they haven't napped in YEARS... it would be a problem. My oldest did full day (10 years ago :shok: )with no "nap time" and he would nod off on the 30-40 min drive home every day for the first half of the school year.