Dollhouses

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SMax, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I know there have been several recent threads on dollhouses, but I would love guidance on when is the appropriate age to buy one. DD was flipping through the TRU catalog, found one of the large, KidKraft ones and said she wanted that for Christmas. I am all for getting a dollhouse at some point, but I would like to get it when she is old enough to really play with it. We bought their play-kitchen when they were too young and I feel like the newness of it wore-off before they were old enough to really enjoy it. I do not want to repeat the same story with a dollhouse.

I am considering one of these options: Dollhouse #1 or Dollhouse #2

Of course, I showed these two dollhouses to DD and she wants the more expensive one...figures. <_<

Any thoughts? They will be 3.5 in January.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Those are super cute! I think my girls were 2 1/2 when I got them their first doll house (a little people one). They loved and still love it! We were then handed down an old school fisher price one and they also play with it all the time. My girls would love either of those that you linked.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They're cheaper on Amazon! Keep in mind that they don't come with dolls though... and these take the Barbie size dolls, so if they play with Barbies I think they would like it. I'm waiting for their 4th birthday to give DD her dollhouse personally, I think she will be more into it then (we got the fisher price loving family one). Although to be fair I think they really make the most of it after 5. But if she asked for it, she might be ready for it, a lot of kids play with the dollhouse at school.

I'm with you on the play kitchen, I wish I had waited an extra year to give it to them... I've noticed the same thing, when you give them something too early, the novelty wears off when they should be enjoying it the most. I'm glad I waited for their train table at least.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I think 3.5 is a great age. We got a small one (the Melissa & Doug "Fold and Go" one) when my girls were around 3, and they played with it mostly around ages 4-5. (They still do occasionally, but not as much.)

I've actually been tempted to get them a larger one when they're a little older, when they might be more interested in really playing around with furnishings and stuff. But I probably won't, since the reason I got the mini one in the first place is our total lack of space!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

3.5 is a great age for a dollhouse. We got one when my girls were about three, and they really got into it about six months later. So... your kids are at the perfect age. I like the more expensive one you found too, it looks better for two kids.

6. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I think 3.5 is a fine age for a dollhouse. My friend gave me the Loving Family dollhouse when my girls were about 2. They actually did play with it back then. They don't play with it as much anymore, but they still do occasionally. I am going to keep it around for quite awhile I think until they just completely outgrow it (which is hopefully a long ways off :)

7. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

I bought my DD her Loving Family Dollhouse for her 3rd birthday and she loves it! She plays with Barbie's, Strawberry Shortcake's, Disney Princess, and the Dollhouse family in it! Depending on how much room you have for a dollhouse would determine which one you should get, because they are both great! If you are able to put it in an area she can move around both sides, go with #1, if not and it will usually be against a wall, I would go with #2! Mine sits in a corner of her bedroom and she can get to it easily, but since it only opens to one side, it makes it easier, since the twins share a room. She will love it! :)

8. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

We got ours at 2.5 years last Christmas. They love it still. We found one of the dollhouses you show from Craigslist. It was in perfect condition (not that way anymore!)