Double Joggers on a dirt road?

Discussion in 'General' started by AKilburn, Sep 18, 2013.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I posted a while ago asking about SBS's that would fit through a doorway and I still haven't gotten one but now I really need one. 

I'm still using my graco duoglider tandem but wanting to go to a SBS jogger.   As I said before I'm not an avid jogger but I'm getting back into it on my own, with the duoglider it's more fast walking than anything, currently b/c of only having the graco stroller I walk on an asphalt track (which we have to drive to) when I have the twins, when Marshall is home then I jog a dirt road through a cotton field which is right out our front door.  I'm looking for one that will go through the dirt road and is at a good price. I've been looking at the Instep Safari Swivel Wheel Double and the Schwinn Tourismo Double Swivel Wheel.  I've gotten a lot of people telling me to get the BOB but I just can't justify the cost. Have any of you had any history with the InStep or Schwinn (or both) and taken it off road? How did it handle? I appreciate any feedback! ~Alex

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had an old schwinn with bike tires that went EVERYWHERE! Dirt, grass, sand. . .it had a fixed front wheel and was crazy easy to push.

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I have the Instep single jogging stroller and I love it.  It's one of the few (if only) jogging stroller that has movable canopies.    I'm looking at getting their tandem jogging stroller too.  You'll want to get one of those little hand air pumps to keep in your car though, the tires need filling every so often.  I've taken my Instep everywhere and it's been great.

4. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Kate, I thought I remembered you saying you had the single instep. I'm really leaning towards the instep. I worry about the schwinn and the metal wheels, granted I'm in the country now and not near the beach but still worry about the rust.

Bex... Did your schwinn have the seat separators like the new one does? That's also a concern that the twins won't like that bc they won't see each other, but I really don't like the set up of the canopies, no snack trays, etc of the baby trend, which doesn't have as much of a separator ad the instep or schwinn.

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Try using fix-a-flat on them.  I haven't had a low tire since used it 3 weeks ago.

6. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

We have the Schwinn and love it.  I have used it since our 2nd was born 3 years ago and it is still in great shape.  We use it on country roads.  The only downfall has been it doesn't fold down very small but I don't think any of the double joggers do.  I have a Combi SBS for when we go places that fits through doorways and also fits behind our 3rd row seat of our Honda Pilot.

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Alex, I never thought about the metal wheels!  But yes, it does have plastic wheels. 

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I had a dreamer designs that went EVERYWHERE. We live in rural Mexico, that thing never saw a smooth floor. Dirt roads, no problem, off roads, we did that too. Unfortunately the company went out of business so they aren't made anymore---but it doesn't really matter because that thing came with a 20 YEAR WARRENTY.  Yup, a 20 year warrenty on something you couldn't possibly use for more than 5 years. So what I'm saying is buy one used. Off craigs list or ebay or what ever.
    Any of the top brands will do, my dreamer designs also only ever met one doorway it couldn't go through.

Start here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-jogging-stroller-BOB-/151121676555?pt=Strollers&hash=item232f8dc90b

ETA

Oh and since they are bike tires and I live in the land of prickly plants, I got these things called puncture gaurds that you put inside the tire between the tire and the tube, a kind of hard plastic strip that keeps torns from puncturing the tube. We still got some flats, but that's life. And the rims didn't rust at all, they are literally 16" bike tires, spokes and all. Do you worry about your bike rusting?

9. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

I know they are expensive but I love my BOB and they resale for super high. I bought mine from $479 with snack trays and handle bar console. I bough it at MooseJaw.com and they let me stack coupons.

I actually bought it may self because my boss could not afford it but I know they older BOB doubles are reselling on Craigslist for around here fro $400+ and with my accessories they are usually upwards to $500. Which means I would sell it for more the I paid. Also they sell fast usually within 24 hours.

I have a friend who has the twin Schwinn and she loves it but she warned me that it does not fit through a door. She has to load the kids up in the garage and leave through the garage door because it won't fit through her house doors. I take mine every where and I want to be able to go it to restaurants and gift shops when we are out at the zoo, park etc. I took the boys a pioneer farm last week and I couldn't have done it without the joggger. I had several people comment that they wished they still had their bob because they knew they 4&5 year old would still fit and they were having to carry their kids because it was so much walking. I barely fit through the entrance gate with mine and I couldn't have fit if it were 1/2 inch wider. Just be sure to check the widths before you buy.

I was originally going to get an instep safari but the reviews on all the sites we terrible.