Double umbrella stroller/Trunki suitcase or ride on carry on

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by abrinka, Jan 15, 2012.

1. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

I will be flying solo with my almost 4 year old twins in June.
    It will be 3 different flights with one layover of 2 hours and another one of 6 hrs.
    I am trying to decide on my options for carry on the plane:

#1 -double umbrella stroller (I have Chicco), back pack on my back and 2 individual back packs for twins.

#2-my back pack and I pull 2 Trunki travel suitaces.Not sure if is doable but I guess I have time to practice.
    http://www.trunki.com/

#3-two carry on luggage and attach to each ride on carry on.I will pull one and push the other.
    http://www.rideoncarryon.com

Honestly I like all of them but having hardest time on deciding which one will be least tiring for me and twins.

TIA

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I have flown alone before with my girls so here's my two cents. Definitely a stroller, so you have a place for them to rest. 6 hours is a long layover so you'll want somewhere they can have downtime. Sitting back in a stroller would be much easier than trying to have them balance on Trunkis.

I would try and do 2 large backpacks, not 3. One for snacks and one for activities. Get a stroller hook so you can hang them from there while walking. When boarding/leaving the plane, I would have one backpack on my back and one hanging off the front of me. This way I had hands free.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Michelle!

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I travel four or five times a year solo with my kids and would do exactly what Michelle suggested. Definitely the stroller. I've tried those pulling suitcases where the kids can sit on them and they're cool, but don't turn corners well. And not so great in a crowd. Also, every time I've had backpacks for my kids, at least one of them has not wanted to wear it (even though they love wearing backpacks at home) so I end up carrying two. As a result, my vote is just two backpacks total as well. Or a backpack and a messenger bag. Hopefully you'll be able to drape one over the back of the stroller while you push the kids! And if the kids both want to walk, you can put both bags in the stroller and push.

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I would take a stroller. My boys have trunki's and I have tried pulling 2 at once and it was a disaster. lol Good Luck!

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I also agree with the stroller (or nothing)--I think the trunki's look great, but definitely on a one to one adult child ratio!

I took a trip similar to what you described with my twins on their 4th birthday. It actually went like this--6 hour overnight bus trip that my husband accompanied us on, three short flights with one long layover (not six hours, I think it was 3), one medium layover and one, OMG!-run layover on our own, followed by a 45 minute car ride with grandpa and grandma. I did not use a stroller--but my girls were used to going on very long walks at that time. They also had never seen anything like an airport, not a food court, not a large department store, not a lot of different looking people using fancy electronics or anything. So we walked all through the airport on the long layover we stopped and looked at things, marvelled, ate, sat down on different types of chairs. They napped on the plane and actually we didn't change times zones as this was a south to north trip so sleeping during the layovers was not an issue in our case. It sounds like it might be in your case (?) in which case stroller is a good option, but they might be more comfortable leaning up against you in a restaurant booth than in an umbrella stroller? Also, if they are difficult to contain and keep near you a stroller will give you that piece of mind--my girls have always been the kind to stay with me, practically glued on my legs when out in crowds.

I did the same trip with my just my son this past summer when he was about 18 months. I did take an umbrella stroller and we did have a longer layover this time, 4 and a half hours and he did sleep in the stroller--but he saw other kids on the trunki's and wanted one!

I was also suprised to find a play area in the DFW airport, it was not anywhere near our gate, but with 4 and a half hours to kill that didn't matter.

ETA: my girls each had their own backpack as well and I took a wheeled carry on and a daypack that could attach to the wheeled carry on. Their back packs were small and light, with just toys in them.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree with the stroller... it really depends on your kids. My kids have refused to sit in one since they turned 3, and I sold ours 6 months ago. 6 hours layover or not, they probably would refuse to sit in it and it would just be one more thing to have to push/carry... plus having to check it on the plane... I wouldn't do it... just IMO. Of course, if your kids like the stroller, definitely take it. But yeah... not sure how you would push a stroller while pulling a suitcase, lol.

About trunki... we're traveling in June as well and I really wanted some, but the reviews are just bad. So I wouldn't bother. Maybe get them each a backpack they can put stuff in instead, carry a bigger bag for yourself, and take one big suitcase with wheels.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Fran has a good point. If your kids HATE HATE HATE strollers, it's not worth bringing one. My girls wanted nothing to do with strollers after about 3.5, but are happy to ride in one for part of the time in the airport. Basically whenever they are tired or bored or I want them to move faster than they want, they will consent to riding in the stroller. But 75% of the time they want to walk. And that is ok with me because we usually have long enough layovers that it's not a rush.

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

When I travelled in Nov with the boys, I took the stroller, my guys are younger then yours, but what I did was I attached on of the carry ons that we brought to the stroller and pulled it behind me. I usually had one of the trunki's or another suitcase with wheels. Just a suggestion. As for the trunki's not getting good reviews, I have had mine for the boys for 2 yrs, my 4 yr old still rides on it through the airports. The one thing you have to remember about reviews is that only those who are not happy with a product write them. If someone is happy with something, they rarely tell people, if someone is unhappy about something they tell everyone.

10. abrinka

Thanks Ladies for input. Seems like stroller option is a winner so far.We don't use stroller any longer on daily basis for about 6 months now, but I am keeping it for the trips.

I will be traveling to Europe. I will have 6 hour layover in Helsinki and since I have been stuck there many times I explored that city a bit. i would like to take my guys out and take this comfortable big bus ride to main part and then take little boat trip. That is why I think stroller idea would be ideal. But then it will summer it might rain so my planning to go sightseeing might not be possible.
    I took my guys to the mall where they had Truki's on the floor and they went nuts over them. But then again it might be short lift excitement.

Thanks again.

11. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I agree with the stroller opinion. We generally try to check our luggage, and then just bring what carryons can fit under the stroller. Ok, but the real reason I wanted to post is to tell you how impressed I am that you are going to take them out on that layover by yourself! Twin moms really are superwomen!! Have a blast!

12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Helsinki?! Awww!! :wub: I was a summer exchange student in Finland and hope to go back someday.

What is your final destination? Just curious...I love traveling and even talking about it! :D

13. abrinka

Vilnius,Lithuania is where I was born. Happily married for 14 years and living in CA.
    I travel quite a bit in Europe when I lived there, love the convenience of just hoping on the train and next day you are in the other country :) Miss that a lot. right now we do a lot of traveling to Mexico since we have my DH family there and I love their food!
    Where have you traveled?

14. abrinka

Thanks you for encouragement I definitely upon my return should write a blog how my whole trip went! I am bit nervous for kids it;s their first big trip on plane.

15. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

at least with the stroller you can attach to the handles or put stuff on the seats even if they refuse to sit in them.

--- bring head sets, many planes only have those ear BUDS which kids hate.

--- leap pad, or Ipad would be great for them

---- snacks snacks snacks. Lots of little packages of snacks. (ziplock bags)

---- don't be afraid to shut off the T.v. or games and then they might sleep. The worst was when my daughter finally slept and it was 20 before landing.

--- Would they wear a pull - up ? Just in case ?

--- even little dollar store address books, new pencils, wrapped up toys.

--- remember to wear no belt, slip on shoes for yourself so you can go through security easy.

-- I've heard practice with them how it will all go, and practice them going through the security and taking off shoes, etc. They have to walk through alone usually.

--- take pictures during the trip & video !!

--- I found it easier to have one bag with snacks, toys, clothes, and then the second bag was all back-up. That way you only needed the one bag most of the time and could keep the other up top.

--- Always eat at the airports cause sometimes the plane food is awful. Ton of snacks for you too. Magazines are great for you and them -- a cat magazine or dog magazine from Chapters which can be left somewhere to lighten your load.

-- lots of ziplock bags for garbage and for wet food garbage. I loved having various sizes. Each plane I'd set up a large ziplock bag.

--- flashlights. I loved one I had which had no batteries and it clipped onto me. On a dark plane it was great to get into my bags and search for something, and with the clip I always knew where it was. Each kid will need one I'm sure too....

--- Stickers. pipe cleaners, string and fruit loops.... small crafts. If it is food and craft even better !

hope this helped.

Heather

16. abrinka

Thanks bunch for great ideas. I am already making long list of what I will be taking.
    I bought back pack for myself and one toddler size for each( they wanted to put their stuff so why not).
    Ordered books on amazon about plane traveling so will be reading a lot before trip.
    Thanks again.

17. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to read all the replies on this post but here is my experience with travelling. Keeping it simple is much easier in the long run. "Less is more". I have done it both ways and each and every time I try to bring all sorts of extras, we all end up being stressed. Here is how I would travel with my kids on a trip like that. Two carry-on suitcases with wheels and small backpacks for all. That's it. I recently went on a long trip through airports and I put my kids on the top of the suitcases with their feet straddling the handle and off I walked. The kids thought it was very fun, it was fast, and it was efficient. I have a picture of it somewhere but I don't know where it is at the moment. If I find it I will post it. I try to let the kids run around in the airport if I can find an empty waiting area. I figure it is the best release of energy and doesn't bother anyone. I used to bring all sorts of snacks, a stroller, car seats, drinks and the list went on but now I try to bring a couple very simple pre-packaged snacks, a favourite toy, and a new toy. We don't eat out very much so eating out in the airport is a big deal for my two. Try to get an upgrade to first class. You have lots of extra space, are close to a bathroom, and the stewardess has more time to dote on them, and you get a meal and snacks. The meal part of our last flight entertained my two for about an hour and a half. I hope you have a great time once you get to where you're going. Plus, you may be pleasantly surprised how it goes.

18. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My 2 cents as a very seasoned traveller. I would not take a stroller for 4 yo twins. We stopped using ours when they were 3 even for city trips. At 4 they can walk and it makes it sooooo much easier. The sooner you can get rid of strollers, the better. When I tarvel with all 3 by myself, I take a handbag and a trolley and all kids have their own backpack. I believe less is more too, 75% of the crap I've taken on a flight never leaves the bag. They sleep a couple hours, the watch movies for a few hours, and they eat. All you need is a personal entertainment system (or DVD/iPad, etc.), maybe a book, their favorite stuffed animal (only if small) and then mine usually bring some writing/coloring stuff. In the trolley I put the electronics, some extra snacks and clean outfits, that's it. In my handbag, all paperwork, money, passport, phone, e-reader and some medical supplies and personal care items. Do yourself a favor and keep it simple, that would be my advice.

19. abrinka

Thanks for wonderful ideas. My only concern to take stroller i will have 6hrs layover so maybe kids will take nap in the stroller after 7hrs on plane? We did not use stroller for about 6 months or more.Not sure what to do. Take a risk without stroller? Still have time to think.