Doubling Birth Weight

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Silly_Putty, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

I have read opinions that babies should double their birth weight anywhere from 3-6 months. Not sure what is right or if there are any real guidelines...but do early babies hit this milestone sooner?
    My two were born at 4 lb 10 oz and 4 lb 5 oz. They left the hospital at 9 days old and back at their birth weights.
    One week later, at two weeks old, they were 5 lb 1 oz (7 oz gain) and 4 lb 13 oz. (8 oz gain).
    At one month they were 7 lbs and 6 lb 4 oz. So that is about a pound a week.

Double birth weight would be 9 lb 4 oz and 8 lb 10 oz. At the same rate they'll double their birth weights at about 6 weeks (now). I haven't weighed them and have no idea what they weigh now...but is this normal or are they growing super fast? Or does their weight gain slow after the first few weeks? Keep in mind they were a month early...so would it really be doubling their one month weight?

Or am I just waaay overthinking this? LOL

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact weights, but I'm pretty sure mine doubled their birth weight in 11 weeks (just because I remember DH and me telling people that's how long it took!). They were born at 37 weeks at about 6 lbs each.

Maybe babies who are born early do double faster -- just because they're starting from a lower weight! Of course it is quicker for a baby to gain 4 lbs than to gain 6, let alone 8 or 10 like a full-term singleton.

It really doesn't matter, though, as long as they're gaining. :)

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Ours had doubled their birth weight by their 2 month checkup. They started off at 6 lbs and 5lbs, 4 oz. They were over 12 and 11.5 lbs at their 2 month. They were born at 37 weeks. So they hit the milestone very early - our dr said they like to see birthweight doubled by 4 months, but given that they were small at birth, doing it by 2 months is very good.

My DH has a cousin whose baby was 11 lbs 13 oz at birth - she did not double her birthweight for more like 7 months!

4. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Well, it's my understanding that babies gain (usually) 1/2 to 1 oz a day in the first few months, so it really depends on what their birthweight was for how fast they'll double. Your smaller babies will certainly double faster as they'll gain 4 lbs 10 and 4 lbs 5 faster than mine could gain 8 lbs 2 and 7 lbs 6. Does that make sense? Your babies have a shorter distance to go to reach their doubling weight, but they are likely gaining at the same rate as bigger babies so they'll just get there faster. It would take any 10 lb baby longer to double their weight than a 5 lb baby if they are both taking in the same milk and gaining the same oz per day or week.

5. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

I had also heard 1/2 to 1 oz per day as a general guideline. My two were born at 5 lb 2 oz (DS) and 4 lbs 1 oz (DD). They both slightly more than doubled their birth weight by their 2nd month, and tripled it by their 3rd month.

6. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I havemine written down This is where they stood, we got weight checks weekly in the beg. pedi orders to make sure they were gaining good...
    Lillianah zoey
    Born 5.4 5.11
    Day 2 5.1 5.5
    Leaving Hospital 5.3 5.6
    Week Old 5.3 5.7
    Two Weeks 5.13 5.12
    Three Weeks 6.5 6.6
    Four weeks 6.14 6.14
    Two Months 10.5 10
    Three Months 12.8 11.12
    Four Months 14.6 13.6
    Last week 15.1 13.13

I think my girls gained the most during that second month! I think yours are doing great!!! Keep up the good work momma!

7. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

That does make sense about less to gain to double. Duh. I lack common sense sometimes. I'll blame it on a complete lack of sleep today (every time I tried to take a nap, one of them woke up, the dogs needed out, the phone rang...something!)

8. mjwebb05

mjwebb05 Well-Known Member

My boys were born in June at 4lbs 9oz and 3lbs 9oz. We just had their 2 month checkup and they 10lbs 4oz (the 4 pounder) and 9lbs 4oz. So they have each doubled their size! They were 7 weeks early, too :)

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't remember when my boys doubled their weight. They were 6lbs3oz and 6lbs13oz at 38 weeks when they were born.

Nicholas:
    Birth: 6lbs13oz
    One Month: 9lbs
    2 Months: 11lbs8oz
    4 Months: 13lbs2oz

Anthony:
    Birth: 6lbs3oz
    One Month: 7lbs9oz
    2 Months: 10lbs4oz
    4 Months: 13lbs.

So-by four months they both had doubled, or just about doubled their weights.

10. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Mine were about 7lbs each, and I think they hit 14 lbs around 4 months.

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I honestly can't remember how long it took mine to double, but it wasn't very long at all.. they started out at 5 lbs and change. There was a period where they were gaining a lb a week too... they would literally grow out of their onesies overnight. It was crazy! I agree though, as long as they're gaining and eating well, you're on track. I think the doubling their weight is a general guideline that probably applies to average sized full term babies.

12. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as they are happy, healthy and your ped isn't concerned you shouldn't be either. Maybe they are just big eaters? :)

Mine were 4lbs 14oz and 4lbs 15oz, born 1 month early, and spent 7 and 10 days in the hospital. I want to say they came home just under their birth weights but still in the 4lbs range. By 2-3 months is when they doubled their weights.

For whatever reason my boys have always been in the 25th percentile for weight on the growth charts. They always are up in the 95+ percentile for height though.

At their 12 month wellness check up they were both exactly 21lbs and 32" tall, our ped was incredibly happy.

13. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Born @32 weeks, 4lbs 3oz ans 4lbs 2oz. More than 2x brith weight @ 2 month checkup. More than 3x birth weight @ 4mo checkup. Now they are almost 16lbs and almost 4x birth weight. I was told its normal for premature babies grow fast. My kids are wearing 9-12mo clothes now, some 2T t-shirts.I have hard time to find 12mo sleepers for them.they just get longer like over night or something.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

My boys were 38 weekers, 6.14 lbs and 5.8 lbs. They doubled their birth weight by two months.

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine were 3.5 and 4.5 at birth, by one month my son was 8 lbs (I remember because I took him to the ER one night he just wouldn't stop crying) and my DD was 5lb 12 oz - so it didn't take all that long!