Dr. Brown and Mixing Formula on the go

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdduquette, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jdduquette

jdduquette Member

I use the Dr. Brown's bottles and am now switching to powdered formula from the premixed stuff. How do you ladies mix the formula when you are out? I've tried mixing it in the bottles and it leaks everywhere. Does Dr. Brown's bottles have caps you can buy to mix the water and formula directly in the bottle? I haven't tried mixing it with the insert, does that work? [​IMG]

2. jdduquette

jdduquette Member

I use the Dr. Brown's bottles and am now switching to powdered formula from the premixed stuff. How do you ladies mix the formula when you are out? I've tried mixing it in the bottles and it leaks everywhere. Does Dr. Brown's bottles have caps you can buy to mix the water and formula directly in the bottle? I haven't tried mixing it with the insert, does that work? [​IMG]

3. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

They have travel caps, but I always just mix and shake with my finger over the nipple hole. I've never had a problem with it leaking. Sorry.

4. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

They have little white flat caps that cap off the formula so you can shake it without it leaking. They go underneath the nipple, but on top of the brown thing that fits inside the bottle. Shake it, then remove the cap to feed.

5. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

I just shake it w/ the cap on and sometimes i have a little leakage out of some of the bottles and i think that is because the nipple isn't in tightly. i've never had any major leakage though. the formula seems to mix fine.

good luck!

6. stepmom35

stepmom35 Active Member

I use Goodstart and Dr. Brown....Goodstart sells small 8oz ready to use cans. I use these when I travel. I am sure most formulas offer "travel" size cans as well.

I find that the blender mixes the powder much better than shaking.

Or sometimes I just fix the bottles before i go, put them in an insulated bottle bag and use the caps that PP mentioned to kepp them from spilling.....

7. Natalie81

Natalie81 Well-Known Member

Once I forgot to put the insides in when mixing and it went everywhere make sure those are in and put your finger over the nipple hole and it should be fine.

8. Cablegirl

Cablegirl Well-Known Member

I use powdered formula and the Dr. Browns also....But for travel I used the Umix travel bottles SO MUCH easier

Umix travel

9. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

There are little white inserts that you can use, but when I took the nipple off, I thought these were messy. There are lids and those don't really leak. What size of nipple are you using? The Ycut/cereal nipples will leak because the opening is so big. We also get some leaking during shaking from the Level 3, too.

Enfamil makes travel packs of formula that you just dump in. Each packet is 2 oz. Those were handy when we were traveling.

10. llarsen

llarsen Active Member

I might be a little different, but I didn't think you were supposed to shake formula in Dr. Browns bottles. So I put the water and powder in the bottle, mix it with a butter knife until it is blended, and then I put the tube insert in and the nipple/cap. If I've dropped the bottle while feeding the boys (similar to shaking), I've noticed that the fluid builds up inside the inner tube. When this happens, it tends to leak. Then I have to unscrew the cap to get the formula out of the tube and screw it back on again.
    Also, be sure that you do not put more baby milk in the bottle than you are supposed to-- it will leak for sure if you do this. There is a line right on the bottle that tells you not to overfill.
    I have used Dr. Browns with all 3 of my kids and I LOVE them. The only bad part is that every bottle has 5 pieces to it, which makes cleaning them a bear.
    Anyway, good luck!!!

11. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by llarsen:

I have used Dr. Browns with all 3 of my kids and I LOVE them. The only bad part is that every bottle has 5 pieces to it, which makes cleaning them a bear.
    Anyway, good luck!!!

7 pieces if you count the disc and the cap!! Like other posters said, use the disc that comes with the bottle, it goes between the stopper thing and the nipple. I don't even use the discs anymore, just put my finger over the hole and shake, shake, shake.

I'll offer a tip about feeding on the go...I put the water in the bottles, and assemble all 7 parts (including the discs and the cap) and toss them in the diaper bag. Then I put the appropriate number of scoops of formula in one of these (there are lots of different types at walmart, target BRU etc,). Toss them in the diaper bag and go! Easy peasy!

Also, as far as the Dr Brown's leaking, I have noticed that they don't leak as much when the various parts are completely dry when you assemble them. HTH!!!