dr browns bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sisrea, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I am thinking about swiching from the platex ventaire bottles, beacuse they have just started leaking on me and it is becoming a PITA, to constantly fix a leaking bottle..

Are they a pain to clean?? im used to the nipple, the ring and the bottom ring and silcone ring so i might not be a big adjustment there....

I read in the instructions that you can't shake the bottle to mix the formula because of bubbles, so how do you mix your formula?? I have been nuking the water, adding formula, and then shaking..

TIA for your help. i just don't want to spend the money on them if they aren't going to work out..

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The way I did it was I got 4 different baskets for the dishwasher and every night before bed I would take each bottle apart and I'd put each piece of the bottle in a different basket. Then after the dishwasher was done it was very quick and easy for me to re-assemble the bottles. It's really not a big deal at all to put a Dr. Brown's bottle together - you just have to get a system going like you do with everything else!

The way I would mix the formula is I'd put the water and then add the formula - then I would put my finger over the nipple hole and shake it up! The other option is that when you buy the bottles some of the packs come with a lid that fits on the bottle. So I wouldn't put the inside pieces of the bottle in, and I'd put the cap on and shake it up and then put the inside pieces and the nipple on.

GL! Dr. Brown's bottles worked so well for us, it's the only kind I ever used. I really liked how I could buy a replacement part if I broke a piece instead of another whole bottle.

3. caba

caba Banned

Hmm ... I was always one to make a big pitcher of formula, then just pour into bottles as needed ... but there were times I made by the bottle and then shook them. I've never heard you couldn't shake them. How odd!

I loved my Dr Brown's, as did my kids. The parts never bothered me ... all bottles went into the dishwasher ... and the pieces went into a dishwasher basket and were washed that way ...

4. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

I also use the Dr. Browns dishwasher baskets. As a matter of fact the larger bottle basket also fits Born free parts!! As for mixing in the bottles, I use an electric mixer. It is just for bottles. I got it at BRU for about 3 bucks...totally worth it.

5. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

I love Dr Browns bottles. They are also the only bottles that I have used. I also use baskets in the dishwasher to clean them and I shake the bottles to mix formule, I have never heard that you shouldn't.

6. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, if your thinking about switching bottles, I use born free, and love them. The vent system works and it's not too complicated. I mix my bottles just like you do, and I don't have a dishwasher, so tons of tiny parts are not worth the hassle here.

7. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I didn't find that they made much difference in gas. We found that the cheapest bottles were the best for us, easiest to use and clean, and easiest for the boys to hold when they got to that point. My favorites are the Evenflo and Gerber, preferably the glass but the boys are best at holding the plastic ones. You can put most any nipple on them, just not the ones for wide bottles. We use Nuk.

8. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Another huge Dr. Browns fan here - we switched to them pretty early on and the kids loved them and so do we. Like a pp said you just get into a system and don't even notice the "extra" parts - we put the bottles in the dishwasher and all the parts in a dishwasher basket we got at Target. We also use a pitcher to mix up formula - it is actually a Dr. Brown's pitcher and we just pour what we need into the bottles.

9. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

We have always used Dr. Browns - that is what the NICU started them on. I tried different ones and they wouldnt take to anything else so we are stuck. The extra parts dont really bother me - like PP said you just get used to it. I think when you shake them in the bottle some can get in the tube that is supposed to be for the air and it does get a little bubblier but I just twist off the lid and retighten and the milk goes out of the tube. At home we mix a large batch of formula in a pitcher, but when out I just do individual bottles.

10. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we use the evenflo classic glass bottles with dr brown's nipples. we had a problem with plastic bottles warping over time, which resulted in a lot of leaks. it didn't matter which plastic bottles, they all warped from the heat of sanitization. glass bottles don't warp. love them.

(however, they do break if you're tired and clumsy and tend to knock things over. that's only happened to us once, though.)

11. annagloth

annagloth Well-Known Member

We have been using the Dr Brown's BPA free since they were about three months old and we haven't switched...we love them extra parts and all. Babies R Us sells screw on caps that you can use when you make the formula, just add water, formula and screw on the cap and shake and then put in the fridge and when ready to use heat up the bottle unscrew the cap and add the straw,vent and nipple parts!!! I didn't know about the lids until about three months ago and they are a big help before I used to do as the PP's and shake w/the parts in place or use a milk frother hand mixer!!! It is much easier this way and no clumps!!!! Hope that helps! The caps are also good for transporting bottles if you are traveling!

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

I always shook them. My bottles were room temp, so I had the powder at the bottom ahead of time, added the room temp water when needed and shook them up. I never had any problems with leaking. The extra parts really didn't bother me.

13. Lindae73

Lindae73 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(azucena @ Apr 21 2009, 12:11 PM) [snapback]1282565[/snapback]
    For what it's worth, if your thinking about switching bottles, I use born free, and love them. The vent system works and it's not too complicated. I mix my bottles just like you do, and I don't have a dishwasher, so tons of tiny parts are not worth the hassle here.

I also LOVE born free bottles. I use both Dr.Brown's and Born Free. DS loves his Dr.Brown's (he is a slow drinker) and DD loves her Born Free (she started on Brown's but they did not work for her as she is a very strong sucker and she kept collapsing ANY nipple we used). I will say that I think DD gets less gas from the Born Free and had I known how wonderful they are I would've started BOTH of my babies on them instead of using Dr.Browns...DS still gets a little gas with them for some reason but at almost 5 months I'm not going to make a change on him!

14. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I loved using the Dr. Brown's bottles. I had no issue with all the parts and I washed them by hand or in the dishwasher. I would pour in the water then put the powder in and shake. I would then add a few drops of mylicon to dissolve the bubbles. I also made formula up ahead of time as well.

15. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

We've used Dr Browns since our bubs were a couple weeks old. I found the Playtex drop ins were not only an ongoing expense, but they didn't do a whole lot for gas reduction.

The extra parts really don't make that much more work. They're still quick and easy to wash. I must have missed the not shaking them part of the instructions, because I just screw the cap on (you can buy them separately or as part of the gift pack) and shake away. I then put the inner tube parts in, and screw the nipple on.

Hard to believe that in a few weeks mine will no longer have bottles. They grow up so fast!

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

we hardly ever used bottles but when we did, used Dr Browns. They were great.