Dr. browns bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by San12, Aug 2, 2008.

1. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

So is everyone using these bottles? Do you find that they help with gas and spit ups?

2. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We use them, and I must admit that I am not sure if they are better b/c they are all we have ever used. They seem to be doing the job though! :)

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(5girlies @ Aug 2 2008, 07:52 PM) [snapback]910456[/snapback]
    We use them, and I must admit that I am not sure if they are better b/c they are all we have ever used. They seem to be doing the job though! :)

Same here. When I registered I was with a friend who had used all types and she said Dr. Browns were her favorite so that is all I registered for or have ever used. My girls don't spit up at all or even wear bibs when bottle feeding...but I don't know if that's due to the bottle or not!

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I was using the Playtex drop ins at first when they came home from the NICU but then they were diagnosed with reflux and I had to add cereal to the bottle. I could not get the Playtex to work well with the added cereal and was told that Dr. Browns was the WTG by a mom of twins in BRU. She was so right. They had a nice variable flow nipple just for cereal adding and I think they really helped the boys with their feedings.

5. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Worked great for my two little refluxers!

Erica

6. kristy horner

kristy horner Well-Known Member

we had colic and saw a difference at the next feeding after switching to dr. brown's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies, I'm going to give them a try. I bought "born free" bottles when I was pregnant, and the whole BPA thing first surfaced here in Canada. The Dr. Brown's weren't BPA free, and we didn't want glass. I tried these when the babies first came home from the NICU, and I found them useless. I then bought gerber bottles as the nurses said that they were the closest to the nipples the babies were use to. The gas issues were really bad. So now I've been using the Playtex, which are fine, but they are out growing the small bottles soon. Plus I don't like that the rubber nipples seem to collapse and that I can't sterilze them. I've tried to switch them to the silicone ones, but they don't like them. I'm hoping this wont be an issue with the Dr. Brown's. They both have reflux and are on meds for it. They both spit up, with DS being the worst. I'm willing to try anything, but I'm getting tired of spending money on bottles and nipples.

If they take to them, then I'll switch over when the Pedi gives us the okay to stop sterilizing.

8. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

Okay so I used them for their 9am feeding and all went well. They both finished every drop, even DD who usually leaves a little bit or falls asleep while drinking. Not sure if it was a fluke or not though. I'll try again at the next feed.

How do you ladies heat these bottles quickly? I've been boiling water and putting my playtex bottles in for a minute or so to heat. Now these bottles will take longer and my babies don't like to wait.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(San12 @ Aug 3 2008, 10:39 AM) [snapback]911069[/snapback]
    How do you ladies heat these bottles quickly? I've been boiling water and putting my playtex bottles in for a minute or so to heat. Now these bottles will take longer and my babies don't like to wait.

For heating we'd do what you just described. But I never got my babies into the habit of warm bottles except for the last bottle before bed. I just give them the bottles at room temp, warming every bottle is too much of a hassle.

10. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

I use them. They seem to work.

11. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

We use Dr. Browns. We tried Avent, Playtex Venaire maybe?, and Dr. Browns. The Dr B's were a hit from the beginning. We don't heat them often, though. We keep bottles of room temperature filtered water and premeasured formula containers (found something useful to do with the gazillion 2oz Enfamil bottles we got from the hospital) on hand. When it's time for a bottle we pour in the right amount of water, add the formula, put on a cap (they don't come with the bottles, but you can get a 3pk for $1.99) shake, and serve. Takes just a few seconds as I have a 0-tantrum baby the second he realizes he is the least bit hungry he screams like you haven't fed him in days.

We have to make bottles for daycare and if they happen to not eat one they come home cold. We have an Avent IQ warmer, and that's what we use - takes about a minute and a half to heat an 8oz bottle. At some point I will probably try to get the boys to just take them cold. Thus far, they haven't been keen on that idea...

12. bearcats06

bearcats06 Member

We use Dr. Brown's bottles & to heat them, we just get the tap water as hot as we can get it, run some into a couple of oversized mugs and drop the bottles down into the mugs of hot water. We leave them in for 5-10 minutes (usually closer to 5 min) just long enough to get diapers changed, bibs on, etc, and they are good to go. We really like the Dr. Brown's bottles a lot. GL :)

13. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

We had borderline colic here, and these bottles saved us. But we just gave them their bottles not heated up, so I'm no help there. I hope you have as good of luck as we did with them!

14. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

QUOTE(San12 @ Aug 3 2008, 10:39 AM) [snapback]911069[/snapback]
    Okay so I used them for their 9am feeding and all went well. They both finished every drop, even DD who usually leaves a little bit or falls asleep while drinking. Not sure if it was a fluke or not though. I'll try again at the next feed.

About a 1/2 hour before the next feeding time I drop the bottles into a large beer mug(we have the widenecked bottles so thats the only thing that fits) filled with warm tap water

15. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

We use the Dr. Brown's bottles and love them. We use a bottle warmer to warm them just to room temp from the fridge. The BPA free Dr. Brown's seem to take longer to heat up than the regular ones.

16. mytwins2

mytwins2 Well-Known Member

Thank God for Dr.B bottles. My little girl has borderline colic and I'm convinced the only reason it's not full blown is because of these bottles.

17. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

Now that I'm using them once in a while (I only have 3 so far) I've noticed that the babies are gagging with the playtex bottles. So I want to go out and buy more.

Are you ladies sterilizing these? I know I sound like a broken record, but they seem to want me to continue, so now I've got this new challenge again. These bottles are too tall for my sterilizer.

18. Mommyof3in05

Mommyof3in05 Well-Known Member

Boil everything in a pan on the stove!

19. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

QUOTE(San12 @ Aug 5 2008, 10:45 AM) [snapback]914594[/snapback]
    Now that I'm using them once in a while (I only have 3 so far) I've noticed that the babies are gagging with the playtex bottles. So I want to go out and buy more.

Are you ladies sterilizing these? I know I sound like a broken record, but they seem to want me to continue, so now I've got this new challenge again. These bottles are too tall for my sterilizer.

We sterlize, although I am not sure we need to anymore. Dr. Browns' makes a microwave sterilizer that we use. It's part of our nightly bottle routine, and doesn't take much time. If had to boil sterlilizing would have gone out the window a long time ago.

20. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

It seems that alot of the Dr. Brown products are not available here in Canada. This is so frustrating to me. The sterilizer is one of them, the other one is the mixing pitcher. I want them both and have no way of getting them.

Sucks!!!

21. beg4books

beg4books Member

I had a mother of twins tell me about the Podee bottle. You should check these out, they are great for twins. Completely hands free feeding for twins. I purchased mine at babiesrus, but I'm sure you can find them online. I highly recommend.

22. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member