Drooling... really?!?!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by weegus, Nov 8, 2011.

1. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My son Colin still drools. He will be 3 in February and all his two year teeth are in. I change his shirt at least twice a day. It doesn't affect his speech, eating, or sleeping and he is otherwise a normal toddler but it's just gross! I asked my pediatrician about it at their 2.5 year checkup and he said drooling is considered normal until 5 and says he will grow out of it. Five, REALLY?!?!? I know there's probably no solution to this problem, but I am just wondering if anyone else has late droolers out there. I will definitely bring up the issue again at their 3 year check up. Thanks!

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My almost 4 yr old still does too. My brother, who is now 25, drooled until he was 7, we still on occasion have to say, "Swallow Kevin!"

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Ethan still drools quite a lot, he's about a month younger than your twins. It has got a lot less since all his teeth came in, I don't have to change his shirts but he does often end up with a wet patch round his neck. Recently I've started bringing it to his attention (not in a mean way, just like asking him to swallow). It hasn't stopped it much but it has made him aware enough of it that he will wipe his chin with a tissue, which is helpful because he gets a bad rash (on his chin) in the cold weather because of it.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rylee still does too, she's 2.5 (turns 3 in feb). She also has all her teeth in. It's definitely better than it was, but it's annoying regardless. I do remind her to swallow, usually it's worse if she's concentrating on something.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:shok: This isn't a good post for me to read. Sebastian is probably going to be a drooler for life. It's like his lower lip is tilted down and out so that he drools all.the.time. & it is worse when he's really concentrating. Uh oh...

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jonathan stopped drooling at 3 years 1 month 2 weeks. It was the day he had his tonsils out. Just something to have checked...

7. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

My dd still drools too! She's nearly 3 1/2. It's lessened over time, but she's still a 'droolin; :unknw:

8. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Yes! DS is such a drooler. He got all his teeth early and never drooled much as a baby but now it seems like he constantly has a stream dripping off his chin! I always thought it was because he is such a busy kid that he forgets to swallow. Glad to see we're not alone.

9. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

One of mine was a drooler. It got better after he had this tonsils and adenoids out at age 5 and stopped for good by age 5.

10. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I am so glad we are not alone! I will definitely ask about his tonsils and adenoids and thier next appointment... I never really considered there might be something medically happening. Glad I posted!