Drooling!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by idtwinstx, Jan 11, 2008.

1. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

My boys have recently started drooling a lot. Is this normal or does it mean something. I know that babies tend to drool a lot when they are teething, but I think my boys are too yound for this.

2. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

I don't know about my twins yet- but my son started drooling in his 2nd month- and got his first tooth a few days after he turned 3 months old!!!!

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine started drooling around 3.5 months (born at 34 weeks, though... so pretty close to the adjusted age of yours). No teeth until almost seven months though. Enjoy the drool... it soaks everything!

4. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

it is normal, their salivary glands start really working, but they haven't figured out how to swallow it all yet. don't be suprised if constant fist sucking goes with it.

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AWerner @ Jan 11 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]568035[/snapback]
    it is normal, their salivary glands start really working, but they haven't figured out how to swallow it all yet. don't be suprised if constant fist sucking goes with it.

Yep! At 2-3 months that drool faucet gets turned on but they don't really know how to swallow yet. If they get a rash on their face or neck I recommend Aquaphor. A little goes a long ways and it keeps their skin protected.

6. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Jan 11 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]568044[/snapback]
    Yep! At 2-3 months that drool faucet gets turned on but they don't really know how to swallow yet. If they get a rash on their face or neck I recommend Aquaphor. A little goes a long ways and it keeps their skin protected.

Thanks for the suggestion. Their little chins are starting to get red.

7. fluffhead

fluffhead Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AWerner @ Jan 11 2008, 11:31 AM) [snapback]568035[/snapback]

That is so true! My DD drools constantly and she LOVES sucking her hands -- she can almost fit her entire fist in her mouth at once :D DS hardly ever drools and could really care less about his hands......

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls just started drooling a lot as well. So much that they soaked the wedges in their crib. I hope it doesn't mean they are about to start teething, I love their little gums!!

9. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Mine started drooled alot at 3 mo. They have no teeth yet but I swear their teeth are coming and they have sore gums.

10. HT

HT Well-Known Member

Mine started drooling around the same time also and we looked for teeth for months. Nothing until 8 months for both of them!

11. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

Mine have started drooling a lot also. They too love to put their fists in their mouths.

12. kelly_nicole

kelly_nicole Well-Known Member

Mine too! My grandparents and MIL swear they must be teething, but I was praying they weren't! My ds didn't get his 1st tooth until 9 mos. I'm hoping for a little while with them too. I'm not ready yet!!

13. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

All of my kids drooled a lot until at least 5 months old. We had a very ample supply of bibs. :)

14. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

This has to do with not breathing out of the nose "properly". It is totally normal in babies and has very little to do with teething usually. I think it's cute!

15. canucktwins

canucktwins Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't think babies got teeth this early until I noticed dd had one already on Christmas day at 4 months old and now has a second one too. The drool started at 2 mths at our house. I noticed dd pulling on her ear alot a few days prior so that's probably another sign. All babies are different but just don't believe them when they say it's too early for teeth!!

16. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! I call Katie my little drool box! She has been gnawing on her hands and anything she comes in contact with also. She has a little white spot on the bottom gum, and I just know anyday now... I'll get bit, LOL