Drop in supply @ four months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amycplus, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have been EBFing my fellas since they were born at the end of January and around the end of May I noticed my left breast was really not producing as much. It has become much smaller and less full than the right, seems to generate fussy babies (which they never do on the right), the baby who gets the left is always hungry first for the next feed (no matter which baby it is) and the baby on the left always takes longer to finish (no matter which baby it is). It really seems like my supply and/or the flow is not as good on that side. Since I noticed this, I have gone back on fenugreek, been pumping to ensure the breast is totally empty after a feed and I've been finishing the baby on the left with the right breast to ensure they are satiated. This week we saw an LC who said I should try domperidone to increase my supply and I'm thinking about doing it to ensure they are getting enough. They have good wet diapers, poop every 2-3 days and are meeting their milestones but in the last few days they seem like they would take more if I had it, especially in the evening. Has anyone else experienced a drop in supply after a few months or had a significant discrepancy between the two breasts? What did you do? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Amy

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds very normal to me! Most women produce differently in each breast and most babies are fussier in the evening due to a slow down in milk production. It's also very normal for breasts to stop having that full feeling. It sounds to me like based on their output they are getting enough. If the LC thinks domperidone would help & you want to try it then go for it just make sure you get clear instructions on how to start/stop it & to follow dosing info. It won't be long till they start solids & will start gradually decreasing their milk intake on their own.

3. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

^^^^ What she said :)

4. Jessalt

Jessalt Member

I have the same thing going on with my girls, not the different each side, but all together they seem hungry after feeds that are in the afternoon. The past couple of days I've started offering them another ounce after they breast feed. Sometimes they want it, sometimes they don't. They always want it after the last night feeding. I'm not sure I this is a good idea yet for my milk production level? but they are napping and sleeping at night better.