Dropping bedtime bottles

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Katheros, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I've gotten Josh down to 2 bottles a day, one at naptime and one at bedtime. I need easy to follow, instructions for dummies on how to totally take the bottle away from him. :D Should I just refuse to give it to him or taper how much he gets, etc. The problem is that he's been using them to go to sleep, I give him the bottle and put him to bed (I know, bad mommie!). Last night I gave him an ounce less than he normally gets at night, he drank that and cried/fussed on and off for about 10 minutes and that was it. So I'm thinking of following that route and just giving him less and less each night/nap. But any other pieces of 'been there, done that' advice would be good!

I love having a big age gap between him and the twins, hello two little helpers, but the bad side is I can't remember anything I did with them!! :laughing:

2. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

I weaned my 2 off the middle of the night feeds this way and it worked, but I did it over a 2 week period, reducing the quantity every 3rd night. I switched to sippy cups when I took the bottles away before going to bed at night.

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

When Sebastian was 12 months old, I just tossed the bottles and handed him a sippy w/ milk. That was that! They figure it out real fast and it's easier for me to do things fast.