Dropping bottles...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by megkc03, Mar 24, 2010.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm thinking about dropping a bottle for Annabella. Right now, she gets four 6oz bottles/day. IF I am lucky. Generally speaking-I am never that lucky. She on average gets about 20oz. Maybe.

So I got to thinking, maybe if I did 3 8oz bottles/day, she'd be more receptive of drinking? She turned 9 months on March 10th. At her 9 mth, she weighed 19lbs13oz, so clearly she is not lacking in the weight department. And she is horrific to feed baby food to, so she's been mostly eating regular table foods now.

Anyone else on three bottles at nine months? It's just so aggravating when it comes to feeding her. She'll drink maybe 4oz in the sitting, sometimes only 3oz, and then I have to try to finish that bottle within the next hour or two.

I can't remember with the boys. They didn't have this issue! LOL!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went to 3 bottles around 9-10 months, and mine always got 8 oz bottles :) I gave a morning bottle, lunch, afternoon bottle before nap, supper, and evening bottle. Sometimes a snack in there if they were still hungry.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's worth a try. Although if you are having a hard time getting her to finish a 6 ounce bottle, 8 ounces might be even worse. But, you never know, babies are always surprising us & often their ways aren't logical. What can it hurt to give it a try? :pardon:

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah-considering I just gave her an 8oz bottle and she drank THREE oz and then shoved it away. Good grief kid-just eat! LOL!

I gave her a six oz bottle at 8am when she woke. She drank four oz right away and then stopped. Than drank the rest of the 2oz two hours later. Had lunch at noon-a little mac-n-cheese, some cheerios, and some squash. Not a whole lot. And now 3oz of formula.

I'll try again before nap, but it's approaching faster than she'll drink 5oz, that's for sure!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds like she's going to be a snacker. I have one of those who's 10 now. She eats a bit here & there all day long but never eats a lot all at once.

6. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

DD1 did something like that around 9m. I had just stopped nursing her and she wouldn't take a bottle. I moved her to a sippy cup w homo milk and she just drank it whenever. Babies ARE so unpredictable. The boys seem to be not wanting as much formula now either.

7. opalbarb

opalbarb Well-Known Member

You may not care and I'm sure it's not fatal or anything - but just wanted to be sure you knew, that once the baby starts drinking the formula, you're supposed to throw it away after 1 hour, because their spit gets into it and germs can grow. Also - again butting my nose in with a suggestion, maybe you could try just not letting her snack and spacing out the meals. It was hard at first because we hated throwing away wasted food and formula, but we just stayed firm and would only feed them at mealtimes. They actually got more hungry for meals and would eat them instead of taking small snacks throughout the day. Now they are used to it.