ds fainted or had a seizure today

Discussion in 'General' started by seamusnicholas, Feb 18, 2012.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

We were at Barnes and Noble today and I was at the counter ordering soup and drinks and I turned around to see where S was and he was laying flat on his face. I was holding the baby in the carrier and Nicholas was next to me and dh was putting our stuff down at a table. I said, "Seamus, what are you doing?" and he didn't answer. I was thinking what the heck is he laying down for. Then when he didn't answer, I thought he fell and hurt is foot. I told him to stand up and by now dh was back and i told him to get him up. We then realized after trying to talk to him as he was faced down that he was not responding so dh picked him up and his eyes were open . He was dazed and pale. We got out of there as fast as we could. Dh was carrying him and he was dead weight. Dh said when he picked him up his legs were kicking. He was sooo tired.

Two people were in line behind us and one man said he grabbed onto his dads leg (which wasnt dh since he was getting us a table...so he grabbed another mans leg I guess) and then went down. Another lady said she teaches special ed and it looks like a petite mal seizure so that is what we had to go by when talking to the er dr's. I just looked up petite mal seizure though and it doesn't match what happened.

We went to the ER and his bloodwork tests came back all normal and they did a ekg (I think thats the name) and his heart was fine. They said because he was confused and he was kicking they didn't know if it was a seizure or fainting.

On Mon we are going to the dr and they will send us for an mri and i think another ekg or some test like that. It was all so scary. Now I am nervous that it will happen again.

One thing we have which makes us lean towards fainting is that dh's family is fainters. DH has fainted many times in his life. Not sure if that is hereditary but since his siblings have fainted too...

Anyone have experience with fainting that sounds like this?

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

No experience, but that must have been so scary. I always worry I won't know what to do if something like that would happen. I'm glad your DH was with you and that Seamus seems to be doing better now. Keep us posted on the follow up visits.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh no, Nicole, I am sure that scared you guys to death! :hug: to you & Seamus. I have no experience, but let us know what you find out!

4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

I'm a fainter and have been since I was little.. to do with low blood pressure I'm told... sometimes it's from lack of not eating frequently - I keep nuts and bread sticks in the car.

Did he say if he felt dizzy before he fell down, sometimes I start seeing "stars" literally so know I'm about to faint.

It could have been a faint, but it's best to do the tests just to double check and peace of mind.

That would have been so scary!

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My husband has a coworker who just faints every now and then. They've run the battery of tests, and she has no concerning issue. Just something that makes her faint. I hope it is something similar for you.

And what the hell with the people who saw it and apparently walked away or did nothing to call for help?

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Oh gosh Nicole!! I have no advice but big hugs to you. How scary that must have been. I hope they can figure out what happened. :hug: :hug:

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Nicole that had to be so terrifying! I am a fainter and I've gone through the work up for seizures (EEG, cat scan of the brain, heart monitor, etc.) The doctors have attributed my fainting due to stress.
    Please keep us posted with how the tests go :hug: I hope they figure out what's going on.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:( How scary. :hug: to you and Seamus. I hope you get some answers and I'm hoping it never happens again.

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: I cannot imagine what was/is going through your mind right now. I hope you figure out what it is. I agree with the previous poster, what the heck.. no one helped him before you saw him?

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:(

Please let us know any updates. Poor guy.

11. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

Scary... I second the what the hell to the people that were watching and didn't yell out. Glad to hear he is fine now though. I think the MRI and EEG is a good idea if they think seizure is a possibility. If it happens again multiple times and doesn't look like a seizure, they can always have him wear a Holter monitor, continuously records heart rhythm to make sure arrhythmia isn't the cause. Hopefully it just doesn't happen again!

12. seamusnicholas

As far as the people around...I think it all happened really fast. I wonder if I turned around right when he went down. But yeah...they should have been on their knees next to him as they were calling out for me. It was a line of 4 people. I was first in line. He went down in between the 2nd and 3rd person. So poor Seamus was probably out of it for a sec wandering (which makes me think faint, right?)

When dh picked him up I looked at the people and asked them to tell me exactly what happened. The one man said take him right now to the ER and then the other lady was the one who has seen this before...Why didn't they react is a good question.

I wish ds had never heard us talking around him in the car on the way to the er or to a few family members. Because when he tells the story, I know it is not all him! If he never heard us, then maybe we could have gotten a more accurate description of what happened.

So Katherine now has a 103 fever prob from being at the gross ER with us (since i nurse she comes with me everywhere) and Nicholas, who my sister picked up from the hospital so he would not have to be there for hours, cried last night saying he was not part of our family since he was not with us!

13. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That must have been so scary for you all :grouphug: Keep us updated on the tests and hopefully it was just one of those things.

14. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

What a scary experience! I hope all the tests come back clear.

I used to faint as a child, usually for a while after a growth spurt and it then slowly went away. They could not figure out why but we all learnt to deal with it and know the warning signs.

I hate taking the kids to the ER or our pedi's emergency practice, they always seem to catch something. I hope Katherine recovers quickly.

15. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How scary! :hug: I hope you find some answers. I remember fainting twice-but I was older. One I was sick, and the other the woman couldn't find my vein to draw blood and I passed out. They said that I may have convisled(I woke up on the floor), so I had the EEG, EKG, etc etc. I was 21 or so. I guess the eeg(?) showed some unusual activity, but all is and has been fine.

Update when you can and I hope Katherine is feeling better. :hug:

16. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oh, Nicole! Poor Seamus. :( I'm sure that was so scary. I have no experience, but I wanted to offer my thoughts.

And Nicholas's tears break my heart. Poor boy!

:grouphug: Let us know what you find out.

17. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

How scary! :hug:

A lot of my students have seizures and from what you described (especially the part about him grabbing the man's legs), it sounds more like fainting than any type of petit mal seizure my students have. There is, in my experiences, no purposeful movement during a seizure.

I hope you guys find put what happened very soon, I can't even imagine how worried you have been.

18. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds like fainting to me as well, I do hope you are able to rule out everything else. How scary!!! I would feel anxious about it happening again too, :hug:
    I hope Katherine feels better soon, poor girl!

Hang in there!!

19. seamusnicholas

Thank you do much everyone for your replies and thoughts!

The ped ordered an EEG which he will have next Wed. Tomorrow we will see a cardiologist (his EKG was good in the ER so I am sure that will be fine) and a week after the EEG a neurologist. (Takes a week to read the EEG so thats why the neurologist a week later).

She said its worth doing the full work up even though it is so possible it was most likely a faint.

I really appreciate all the thoughts!

20. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Nicole!!!

21. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

How very scsry, Nicole! I'm glad they are leaning towards fainting (sounded like that to me, too), but that you are getting him looked at just in case. :hug:

22. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Almost exact same thing happened to Kenna when she was 3/4. She was at preschool so I didn't witness it. They said she was drawing on the easel and then it looked like she just collapsed. What happened afterwards was sketchy bc teachers told different stories but basically she did not wake up for 30 mins. They called me once on my cell after ten minutes and told me she had just fallen asleep. I didn't get that message so they called me again but at home 15 minutes later and I was there in five mins. When I got there she was still sound asleep in teachers arms. (Writing about it reminds me how ticked I was they didn't call 911 when they couldn't get her to wake up). I kept calling her name and she finally woke up and was completely fine. Her cheeks were very flushed but that's it. I took her to Dr they did bloodwork eeg ekg and ordered an mri. All came back fine. Well the mri still showed where her brain bleed was as a preemie and a small portion of her brain that has pvl from being a preemie as well but they said those things did not cause this. It has never happened again. They have just considered it a ...crap I can't remember the word they used but basically they think she just passed out. I was terrified forever after that thinking it would happen again. I am so glad to hear he is okay!!

1 person likes this.
  23. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a scary experience. I hope everything comes back normal.

Brandon collapsed at LAX literally hours before we had to board. He was acting sleepy, and then pretty much went unresponsive. I lifted his shirt up and laid him down on the cold floor but he didn't come to. His face had no color (like scary lack of color). The airline people called the paramedics and the security guys showed up. He started to come to and immediately puked everywhere. He improved after that point. The paramedics checked him over and hooked him up to the heart monitor, but they couldn't find anything wrong. They couldn't not offer us a ride to the ER, but in the same breath, they pretty much said it wouldn't be worth missing our flight unless it happened again, and to follow up with our doctor when we got home. His color improved a lot while in the airport and was back to normal by the time we got home. In our case, we are pretty sure it was the start of a stomach bug. His older brother got the same pale face, hot/sweaty feeling right before he puked a few days later. Luckily he didn't pass out first.

1 person likes this.
  24. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

My daughter had a seizure at school, and has since been confirmed epileptic. The "wandering" is a typical sign of a complex partial. Basically it starts in one part of the brain & spreads. If he was out of it after, that could've been a post-ictal state, which follows a seizure. The EEG should tell you if he has an epileptic baseline. It won't be able to confirm if he had a seizure, but if he has a baseline, it's a pretty good conclusion. I know first hand how scary it is. If it was truly a seizure, I'm sure you'll get lots of good info from the neurologist. Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  25. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

HUGE :hug: sweet friend. I haven't been on in months and this was the first post that jumped out at me. Please post an update when you have one!!

1 person likes this.
  26. seamusnicholas

Thank you for all of your detailed stories and good thoughts.

Monday we saw the cardiologist who read the EKG fro the hospital which we knew looked good already. Today was the EEG. I brought a book to read during it but then I realized it was going to be a dark room so I was thinking I would relax in this comfy chair they had. Then the nurse told me I could crawl in bed with him and that is exactly what I did! I was hoping it would take him a long time to fall asleep so I could get a long nap it! ha! He fell asleep in about 10 minutes and then they have him sleep for 20. Next Fri is the neurologist.

27. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I did with D when we did his EEG years ago. I hope everything turns out perfect!

1 person likes this.
  28. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Hmmm, just seeing this. Huge :hug: for the incident. Just thought I'd see what all the follow ups said. Both my boys were passer outers when they would get hurt...cry and pass out. Not the same, I know, from his onset moments...but they would be completely pale and clammy and terribly sleepy when they came to (which was always pretty quickly). Nick just did it again the other day when he got a ball in the tummy at soccer (darn, thought he had outgrown it). Anyway, just thought I'd check on him now...since NOW (way after the fact) I'm worried about him for you! :hug: :hug:

1 person likes this.
  29. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been wondering too, how he has been....

1 person likes this.
  30. seamusnicholas

I can't believe I forgot to come back here to update. Thanks again for all of your thoughts and concerns.

So the EEG came back normal! So the neurologist believes it was a faint due to some of the specifics and also because dh's family history. He basically said it will most likely happen again and to talk to him about what he should do if he feels it coming on.

1 person likes this.
  31. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

So glad the EEG came back normal! That is great! Alex had a grand mal seizure at 22 months; it was after 3 days of vomiting so they think it may have been triggered by low blood sugar. He hasn't had one since and hopefully will never have another one. I am prone to fainting, too (hypoglycemia and hypotension). It should definitely help to talk to him about what to do if he starts to feel dizzy!

1 person likes this.