DS for 3 year olds? Really?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by pandax3, Mar 16, 2011.

1. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Yesterday, when DH and I went to pick the boys from the sitter(very rare since we were heading for dinner). Anyways, our sitter's daugther just turn 3 and got a DS for her birthday, since she had it out and playing with it. I begin to wonder. So DH and I were like, holy crow. I remembered I got my Game Boy(the old school one) at like middle school. Since DS's 3rd birthday is coming up. We are preparing what happen if he wants one......is he too early for one. DH and I are really leaning against it. Any other feedbacks? :unknw:

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't get DS's for them, but we got Leapsters instead. It is less fragile than the DS. :) And Roycie puked in it and it still works.

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Mine are 8, no game players of any kind yet. Plenty of time for that later.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I would do Leapster also. BUT, with that said my 3 yr olds can use apps on a phone, I pad, and their older brother DS...so it is possible.

5. mamammbs2

mamammbs2 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is necessary for a 3 year old to have a ds! My 3 1/2 year old has a mobigo and loves it. Very durable and more educational than a ds. We still limit the amount of time it is used. I think kids get way too much screen time these days!!

6. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We got the girls one for christmas they are 7. I really didn't want to but they had also asked santa for one last year and were still wanting this year. Happy to say they very rarely play with them (not impressed with the money I spent on two). For me the longer I could keep them away from them the happier I am.

7. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I was considering the leapsters for their 3rd birthday, but I'm kind of against it too. I like that they are so imaginitive and play so well together with good old fashioned toys - or they just make stuff up and don't use toys at all. I'm hesitant about introducing something like that so young. I hate going out and seeing kids at restaurants with their noses glued to those things. But then I worry about them possibly being behind when it comes to technology stuff. They already know all their letters (upper and lowercase), numbers, they can count and they know many letter sounds and what a lot of words start with (actually, my son recognizes almost all the presidents too - but that's because my husband is a history teacher and is a fanatic about it!) So I'm not sure they'd "learn" much more from them at this point. But I'm sure anything in moderation is ok, as long as there are rules and limits on it. I'm willing to listen to other's opinions on them though, because I'm still unsure. As a compromise, I was thinking about giving them some computer time on some of the sites geared towards kids and see how they do.

8. rubyturquoise

DS2 did not get a computer until he was 12, and he's planning to be an aerospace engineer. He's my live-in tech support. Waiting did not slow him down. Someone did give my boys an original nintendo when they were around 8, so they could play Mario (this was years behind the curve as far as games go). No problems catching up--and these things are only easier and more intuitive now.

They do teach keyboarding and basic computer skills in elementary school now, and this does involve age-appropriate learning games. So I figure my girls already have computer games at school, they don't need any at home. So far it's been fine, and they are not behind, unless it is in the area of cultural references involving games, but games can get in line behind a lot of other things (no Hannah Montana, no iCarly, no Jonas Brothers or Justin Bieber, no news broadcasts of any kind).

1 person likes this.
  9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's my secret for quiet time.

I give them their leapsters and tell them to go have quiet time in their bedrooms.

4 people like this.
  10. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My kids are almost 6 and I am still hesitant to get them DS's. We are considering getting them used DS's for their birthday this year.

They have had Leapsters for a few years now and mostly only play them in the car on long trips. They are a lifesaver then! They don't really play them at home.

11. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I got the boys a DH for their birthday in December. They LOVE them. They are 6 though. It is the best thing for car rides, ever!

Katie is 3 and they don't let her play with them but when they are at school she does. She likes playing with the camera on it the most, she goes around the house taking pictures. As far as playing games on it, she has zero interest what so ever. She doesn't like game consoles either, she is a sit in the floor and have make believe type of girl.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two got Leapster Explorers for their 4th birthday. They like them but don't play with them all the time. I will sometimes suggest them if they are cranky & I need to get dinner made or something. Overall, they often forget they even have them. They are much more durable than the DS, which would be my only concern with getting a DS for a 3 year old.

13. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My girls have never preferred the DS, they would much rather play with Dawson's iPod touch. We do not have any little kid games for our DSes so I am not sure what is available that may be something to look into. I have 3 older boys that have all kinds of electronic devices so my girls have grown up knowing how to work them so at 3 they were fine with the DS however if I were going to buy a game system for a 3 yr old I would totally go for the Leapster

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Ditto this.

We use them on long car rides and when they are sick. FANTASTIC....when we are at home, they dont use them. We do pretty low screen time - they dont know anything different!

They are really durable and have a good selection of games for 4-8 yr olds. Mine LOVE Animal Genius and Digging for Dinosaurs!

15. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We go the kids Leapsters for their 4th birthday and they like them. They play with them once or twice a week and have already used them on a 6 hour car ride. I think at 3, most of the games would have been a little tough for them.

16. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My grandson is 3 and he has a DS. My own boys didn't get one until this year, they're 6 yrs old. My dd ended up getting one for my grandson after he played ours and fell in love with it. He has age appropriate games like Diego and Elmo .. I don't see any real problems with it so far.

17. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

From what I hear the main issue with the DS is that games have a lot of text... I guess I couldn't imagine my two playing with it yet (I have one, but it's MINE and HIDDEN lol).

18. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'm pretty behind the times.... and don't see the need for kids to have so many electronics... so we'll delay this type of thing for as long as possible.

plus... i'm pretty sure I don't even know what it is!

19. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We got leapsters at three but mine still really couldn't play them. They had the handle on it by 4 and go the explorers at 5. They like to play win the old IPhones but there isn't as much educational age appropriate stuff. I agree that most ds games even the kids geared ones have too much text. Until they can read I dont see the point. We do have a wii for the family and I constantly have to read it so they can play.

20. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Way too early in my opinion, kids get exposed to computers earlier enough as it is, i think we only started video games when we were like 10 or something. i agree with you on this. :)

21. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We got leapsters for our kids at 4 years old. My oldest didn't get a ds until 10 years old.

I just don't see the need.

22. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine got leapsters at around 4, and DS's around 6. My horseback riding instructor always says "If you teach them to do something too fast, what are they going to do when they get older." I think that holds for technology. If you get them a DS at 3, what are you going to get them at 6? The Leapsters have educational games on them, teach letter sounds and order. Help them put words together, as well as beginning writing skills, like tracking and lines and curves, but in a way that the kids don't even realize they are learning something. Mine didn't play with them all the time. But, it was great when they took swimming lessons, and they were in different classes. One would play the Leapster while the other swam and vise versa, so I wasn't having to chase them around the building. Even with the DS's one of my boys goes hot and cold with it. Sometimes he won't touch it for months, and then he goes on a tear with it.

23. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids all have Leapsters. Meghan was asking for the DS for Christmas, but there are still so many games they can play on the Leapster that I didn't see the need yet. The Leapsters stand up to dropping, etc, too. For long car rides they are great.

24. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We also got the Leapster first, and it's gone through my older ds and is now onto my 4.5 yr old dd. We got my son a DS when he was 5-6, but it was almost too early, he had trouble with a lot of the games. At age 7 he got quite better, and now at 9 he can play it proficiently. My 4.5 yr old has never played the DS and probably won't for awhile.

If this leapster holds up, we'll have to buy a second one when the twins are older, and by then we'll probably get our dd a DS too :)

25. rubyturquoise

I asked my 16-yo, and he thought a DS for a preschooler was crazy. He said even when he was 6 or 7, the games were harder to understand, and why did he keep losing? Around 8 or 9 it clicked and became easy. Now back then they didn't really have games for young children, but I still am not buying my young kids electronic toys like this. Mine are 8, so they both read, and that's how they keep busy on long car rides (or one of them knits).

1 person likes this.
  26. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Our oldest will be 7 in July and we don't have any handheld devices or game systems (like Wii) in our house yet. He has played them a handful of times at friends' homes and enjoys them, but we haven't bought any yet. We are not in any hurry. :)

1 person likes this.
  27. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys turned 3 in January and I bought these about a month ago and they love them. I too limit the time and only pull them out every couple of weeks. They are a lifesaver at the Dr's office.

28. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

both of mine have Leapsters AND Leapster Explorers and honestly they are more imaginative...they make up games based on the leapster games they play...

29. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls just got leapsters for their 5th birthday. They have very limited play (only one hour a couple of times a week). The novelty has worn off and they don't ask for them often. We just don't do electronics much. They rarely play on the computer as well. They play so well together that they just don't have trouble filling their time with playing around the house or outside. I don't plan on introducing any more electronics into our house until they are much older.

30. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I think 3 is a little young.

We don't plan to introduce electronics anytime soon. They don't even watch TV (yet).

There will be plenty of time in the future.

1 person likes this.
  31. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I agree w/ AmynTony.

Mine have had Leapsters for 2 years. My two are VERY creative and imaginative- spend hours playing together. We watch little TV (less than 5 hours a week).

Simply set limits. Mine use(d) them for potty time (helped poop train one DD), car trips, and Dr. visits (long waits). My two rarely ask for them, but in a pinch they provide novel entertainment that is 'contained'. That said- my two also have entertained themselves for long long stretches in the car (think 5+) hours by reading, looking out the window and drawing.

Our local school use A LOT of technology (and DH is an IT tech) so it is important for us for them to be familiar with using technology (computers, handheld devices, keyboarding, mouse use, etc) when they go to Kindergarten.

We consider Leapster use and computer time 'screen' time and treat it the same---less than an hour a day and often we go days w/o using anything. That said, my have used educational websites, gotten used to really basic typing, can use a mouse, and are comfortable with the leapster controls. With supervision (as in I sit with them and find the material) we have been able to use youtube to find videos of volcanoes erupting, rare birds in other countries, observe different styles of dance, and more to supplement their interests and/or answer questions. Mine do not have unsupervised access to the computer- but they do enjoy using it since it is something they see grown-ups use. We stress treating it carefully as well- this helps build responsibility.

Academically, we dont use the Leapster as a way to build academic skills-- rather we use it for entertainment (albeit with an educational slant). Although they have learned some skills that will be handy when school starts--- that I can not replicate at home, such as how to do a maze, how to do a crossword, how to use technology to create 'art' (digital art), how to use a stylus, and more.

I like the Leapsters--- I feel that use of computer/technology in moderation is a good thing in todays world. One of my DDs LOVES to type notes and then illustrate them to family and friends to mail...it is much easier for her to type them than write (some motor delays). She is by no means proficient at all (think one word or so a minute), but being able to type has been good for her self-esteem since writing is so difficult for her (she does write too).

3 people like this.
  32. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My DDs are 5 and don't own any kind of handheld devices. They occasionally play games on our iPhones (in a restaurant, waiting room, etc.) and their kiddie digital cameras play a couple of very simple games (which only Sarah cares about). But other than that, I don't see any reason why they should have them.

I admit I've been tempted, I think it would be nice to have something keep them so occupied. But IMO it is not worth the battles about setting limits, and worrying about their little brains getting used to the constant reward stimulus. (I play a few games on my iPhone and I can tell how addictive it is, even to my calcified adult brain.) They will have video games someday, but I'm not in any hurry. And I have plenty of opportunities for setting limits already. :wacko:

1 person likes this.
  33. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I am going to be the odd person out as you read on...

Mine got Leapsters at 3 and honestly didnt play them all that much. Then their Grandparents got them iTouches because we did a lot of traveling on planes and you could put movies and kids games on them. They loved them. They learned to navigate that very well and they were a lifesaver for doctors appts, long car rides, plane rides, etc.

This past Christmas my DD wanted a DSi. So Santa brought it. And he got such a good deal that he brought one for each of the boys as well because he knew that all they would do was fight over one. So that is what they all got. With that being said, if you buy the right games, 4 year olds ( and maybe 3 year olds) can play the DS. All of mine love Lego Star Wars and have no issues navigating it.

I have no problem giving my kids the latest technology (within reason). I feel that technology is always changing...there will ALWAYS be something they want next. Just like adults and iPads... :pardon:

2 people like this.
  34. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We don't have any handheld devices yet. We have discussed getting Leapsters, but haven't gotten any yet. I think 3 is a little young for a DS. My nephews got one pretty early on and I never liked how they were glued to the things. So, we are taking our time getting anything like that. They do like our iphone. They will listen to books on it. They like to do that ALL the time now. Maybe the novelty will wear off, IDK, but I can't imagine having to limit playing time with something like that yet. It's not something I am interested in doing at this point. I can imagine that they are helpful for long car rides though.

35. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I'd love to get my daughter an IPAD !! If we have Dr. appt.s I can download any of my own movies, pictures, many educational games, books, colouring games, etc. My friend brought hers to our last appt. and my daughter's first time on one and she just took off on it. I don't see it as a way to advance them early in technology, and I don't see it as a way to be ahead of any of our friends.. I just want one for her because I know she would LOVE it. She just loves computers and while some kids love fire trucks or dolls my daughter only wanted a computer for her birthday. Many of the kid computers are not easy to use unlike the Ipad or Ipods.

Heather