Dumb car seat question...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mnm000, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

So these are obvious my first kids... When do kids outgrow the convertible type car seats!? I know the height/weight limit of my convertible seats, but legally how long do we keep them in it, and then what do people switch to? Booster seats?

I guess why I'm asking is we are kind of looking at getting a second set of convertible seats for our other vehicle, but I really don't know how long they will use them!?!?! My weight limit is 50 pounds and I know a lot of 5/6 years old who are barely 50 pounds!

So I guess while I'm asking, any recommendations for a seat (especially one that will remain comfortable as they get bigger?) We bought the Britax Roundabout 50's because they seemed a good balance of price, comfort, and good safety ratings.

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I really think the laws depend on your state. HERE is a chart with all of the states listed and the ages/weights/heights for car seats, booters, rear-facing, etc. I'm not sure how accurate/updated it is; it doesn't say that Michigan has any rear-facing requirement, even though I know it does.

This chart says that in Michigan children need to be in a carseat until age 4, and a booster until age 7. My Britax carseats go up to 65 lbs., 49" in height, and 12-16" in seated shoulder height. I'm sure my guys are going to "age out" of their carseats before they outgrow them, but I may keep them in past age 4 because of their size.

Check on your state government website, and I'm sure they'll have the laws spelled out. Note that most states do lag behind the AAP's recommendations for carseats/boosters, so even though it's *legal* to do something at a certain age/weight, it might not be *recommended*. You will need to do some research and use your best judgment on that. :)

2 people like this.
  3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I would stick with the Britax ones, those should last your for awhile! If you're needing another set then I would check maybe craigslist or your local twins club. I know in Ca that our laws are strict, but it looks like you got a great rescouce from Valerie.
    My 9 year old is little and just barely weighs 54lbs so he was actually in a booster until he was 7 years old.
    GL.

1 person likes this.
  4. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! :give_rose:

I looked at those websites. It looks like my state requires the 5 pt harness up to 4, and a booster until 7. I guess we'll need these seats for at least another 3 years, and if they continue to be on the small side, we may keep them in even longer! We still have them rear facing at this point.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'd also add that it most likely depends on the child and how they can handle being safely secured... Florida only requires a carseat until age 3, and boosters until 5... CRAZY! I'll be doing a 5 point harness for a lot longer than age 3, that's for sure! Ours are almost 2 and we're still rear facing and will be for a while longer.

that chart was really neat to see, thanks.

6. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

www.car-seat.org is a great website for carseat info. There are lots of car seat techs that can answer pretty much any question you have.

7. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My 5 1/2 yr olds are still in their Britax Marathons.

I would urge all parents to go beyond the minimum of what they can do. Just because you can move them to a new seat doesn't mean it is the safest option.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You could also look at getting them something like the Graco Nautilus, which isn't rear facing but it's a forward facing convertible that will eventually convert to a booster, and then a backless booster.

That's what we're going to look at getting our twins next year. They won't have outgrown the marathon's we have yet, but my friend lent us one marathon and I'd like to give it back to her when/if she has another child like she's planning on, and the nautilus's will give us our best bang for our buck! Shouldn't have to buy another carseat again!

And according to the posted website SC requires boosters until 6 and 80 lbs, but my 8 yr old is only 58 lbs, there's no way he'll be in a booster until 80 lbs! He's not quite tall enough without a booster though so he'll stay in his backless booster for awhile yet, and he likes that it makes him taller to see outside the windows! :D