Ear Tube Surgery Scheduled

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jdandson, Aug 31, 2007.

1. jdandson

jdandson Well-Known Member

So i finally, after 2 months of dragging my feet, scheduled Braeden to have Ear tubes put in. He has had constent fluid in 1 ear and battled a 3 month infection. We waited to see if the fluid subsided, it didn't so i had to schedule. He goes 10/12, i am scared poopless, even though it is such a simple procedure. I need words of encouragement.

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I was there with you, but it was the best thing I have done for Jackie. SHe is sleeping better, eating better, and just happier. She is saying more sounds, and just not so grumpy. The entire procedure took about 12 minutes. It will be ok. It was so much worse planning and worrying about it than it actually was.

3. GirliesGalore

GirliesGalore Well-Known Member

Best thing we ever did for Ava! I was anxious about it too, so I completely understand your fear. It was SO quick, and once she fully woke up from the anesthesia, it's like it never happened. She was completely normal the rest of the day.

She said a funny think that night, though. All of a sudden she said, "Mommy, that's loud!". It was just the garage door opener that she'd heard a million times. Totally worth it!

4. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

DS had tubes put in last winter. I was a basketcase - mostly because of the anesthesia part. However, it really was a simple procedure. The worst part was watching him fall asleep and then the 15 or so minutes after he woke up. He was a little cranky and disoriented, but otherwise okay. He ate a snack on the way home, took a short nap and then was completely fine. My MIL couldn't believe he had had surgery that day because he was in such a good mood. The dr thinks that perhaps the pressure in his ears was finally relieved and he felt a lot better. The surgery itself took less than 10 minutes.

This is definitely tougher on parents than on kids (something my dr told me repeatedly, but I did not understand until it was over). Hang in there! I hope your DS is feeling better soon!!

5. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Well, I wish I had had tubes put in my ds' ears at that age. He had constant fluid (no infections), and it affected his speech (if they can't hear clearly, how can they talk). He had tubes last Dec, and now he has some makeup work to do in the talking area.

6. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I am a Surgical Technologist.....I work in the OR along side the Surgeon.....I get the instruments set up....and hand them to the surgeon...these proceedures are so quick...you can send your little one in their favorite jammies....and even with their lovey......The OR staff really treasures these little ones...we treat them like they are ours....just like you would want us to. I can assure you also from a past patient that had to have thes several times in my childhood that your little on will feel soooo much better after the fact! it relieves the pressure in there...and all of a sudden things get so much louder!

Take care and just know your little one will be in good hands

Missy

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

It was really easy for Catherine! She was back to her normal self the same afternoon of her surgery. And it made her a much better sleeper and talker since she wasn't in pain from the infections and the fluid was finally gone! He'll be fine! Good luck with the surgery :)

8. BaylorGirls

BaylorGirls Well-Known Member

As a former recipient of ear tubes, I can attest that the procedure is pretty minor. My 4th set of tubes was inserted when I was 5 and I remember it very well. I think the most traumatic part was getting blood drawn from my finger before the surgery! They let me wear my own nightgown and when I woke up my mom was there and I got to eat ice chips. We were home by mid-morning.

That being said, I've never had to put either of my children under anesthesia, and I'd probably be a basket case because of that! So no sage words of wisdom on that front. But the surgery itself is a piece of cake, and getting rid of frequent ear infections and hearing problems is so worth it.

9. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Nathan has had to go under twice, once to put ear tubes and once to clean out a bloody glop in his ear canal we thought was his ear tube not coming out like it should. He did great both times. DD has had ear tubes twice, the first time in K and the second time in 1st when she also had her tonsils and adnoids removed. She did great with the tubes both times.

10. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

After a combined 14 EIs in 4 months, both of my twins got tubes. It was the best thing EVER. The procedure was incredibly quick (total time 15minutes). They seemed to have no side effects. The best part was that they both had a language explosion just days after the surgery. They really couldn't hear!
    My girls were 14-15mo when the tubes were put in.

11. terilynn12116

terilynn12116 Active Member

I'm sorry you have this over your head so long. I found out the 28th of August Matthew would be getting them. He has them placed the 10th of September (next week). His isn't a simple tubal placement though... he has CP (cerebral palsy) and because of that, it isn't easy to get an accurate hearing test. They'll do a special one after his tubes have been placed. Because he'll be out longer, he's getting full general anesthesia. Vents (again) and all. Then we'll be there for a couple hours post op. I know he'll feel better immediately after, so I am not so concerned about the actual procedure, but the anesthesia is scaring me.

Teri