Early in utero fetal 'personality'...?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jessietrio, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

Do you feel like you have a sense during pregnancy of what your twin's personalities or temperaments are like [just from movements, ultrasounds]?? For those who have given birth, did your intuition or 'sense' while the babes were in utero turn out to be pretty accurate after they were born?

Since our very first ultrasound, it appears/feels as if one of the twins is reserved and the other is NOT...today was our 22w3d US and it just seems really obvious to me.

I am SO curious to hear any stories or intuitions you may have. Please share if you have a moment. TIA! :D

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Totally! Austin hung out down at the bottom, was totally easy going and hardly ever moved around. Miles was our mover and shaker... he was always on the go and we thought he'd be our frenetic little guy. Although they go through phases where one is more dominant than the other, I'd say the basics hold true. Miles is definitely our intense little mover and shaker, and Austin is more laid back and content to sit back and enjoy.

3. Chrishelle

Chrishelle Well-Known Member

YES!!!! I totally had their personalities pinned down. Andrew has been pretty easy going for the most part. He stayed in the same place pretty much the my whole pregnancy. He didn't kick me too hard (that I could tell) and just chilled. Nathan on the other hand flipped around twice (and I felt it and watched it both times, weird and cool)he moved around a LOT and was constantly kicking me in the ribs. He has been the mover from day one! He's a very active and spirited child. I love them both so much and enjoy their VERY different personalities.

Another funny thing is Andrew's middle name is my husband's name and Nate's middle name is my maternal grandfather's name. Andrew looks just like his Daddy and Nathan takes after my side of the family, especially my Mom's side. We named them before we even saw them!

Anyway, I just had to add that because I thought that was interesting too. Enjoy! I wish you the best!!!

4. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

Definitely!!! Baby A has always been my less reserved babe (she likes to flash us her girly goods at every visit). Baby B is SPUNKY. If she isn't in the mood she just WILL NOT cooperate, period. I can't wait to see if their personalities are anything like their in utero behavior!

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Um, yeah. My Orion would wiggle when I talked on the phone. He is so babble-y it isn't funny. Sebastian is and always has been a total ham- he used to get in on Orion's ultrasounds. Now if he has a temper tantrum I can get out the camera and he smiles while screaming!

6. scottyswifey

scottyswifey Well-Known Member

Just from the ultrasounds I think that Baby A is going to be the more reserved one because she doesn't move quiet as much and will sometimes "hide" behind her sister... also when her sister kicks her she will kick or hit back a few times, but then just turns away... I'm really curious to see what it will be like when they're out!

7. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

DS had his feet consantly in my ribs. As a newborn he layed totally stretched out not in a ball like most newborns. I think we was glad to finally have the room.

8. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

Yes! Our girl (Baby A) was always moving, and in the "spotlight" for the u/s. DS hung back more and just kind of lounged. That holds true today. He's so easy-going, and she's crawled first, walked first, is more active and moving all the time!!

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My baby A always felt more dominant and he moved around a lot. My baby b seemed more sweet and calm and shy...these proved true after birth but now that they are toddlers things have flipped! :babyflips:

10. sdmommy

sdmommy Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I thought I was crazy! I'm so glad I saw this post.

Baby A has always been very active and he definitely lets me know if he is not happy. When I lie on my left side, he starts kicking and pushing until I readjust. And he is very active, he twists and turns and it just feels like he's tumbling in my belly. He's vertex and at times, usually at night, he'll start stretching and just hit me so hard that it takes my breath away.

Baby B is super laid back. He does have normal movement but it's more subtle and gentle. If I lie on his side, he'll just readjust and he's fine. So completely different.

I thought it was just my imagination but I'm glad it's not.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Absolutely! We actually named them according to their personalities in utero. Meara was CONSTANTLY moving and flipping, and she is like that now at 3 years old. She is SO my DH, so she shares her middle name with DH's mom. Ana on the other hand would find a spot up against my stomach and park it there for days (oh so uncomfortable for me). At 3, she is happy to grab a book and sit on the couch and 'read.' That is so me, and that is why she shares her middle name with my grandmother.

12. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh these stories are so much fun to read! Thank you, thank you.

At our ultrasound yesterday, I asked the MFM if Baby A is doing OK??...and then half-hour later I asked AGAIN if she was SURE that Baby A is OK??? On the drive home I felt super emotional thinking about Baby A and got tears in my eyes [surprise! does not take much to evoke this response these days :rolleyes: ]. And then I thought about it and realized that Baby A has ALWAYS been so calm and quiet, while Baby B is ALWAYS just off the walls!...totally unique in utero existences.

13. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

My dd was a bully, in utero and still is today. She took all the room and shoved ds up under my ribs, she was almost a pound bigger when they were born, and she was the one always moving and kicking. Now, my ds is the sweetest, most complacent little guy and he puts up with her shenanigans no problem. She literally jumps and hops everywhere she goes, and if she isn't doing that she is running. He is Mr. Cautious (although he did walk first). Her daycare provider calls her strong-willed, my family calls her spirited, and others say wild-child, but everyone just says ds is sweet and calm. If I was asked to predict personalities when they were still in my belly that is what I would have said then too, so interesting to me!

14. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Baby A was so realaxed in the womb. She slept a ton and didn't move much. They really worried about her during the NST's. One time it took nearly 30 minutes of prodding and buzzing just to get her to move! She was head down ready to go at an early gestation. Now that she's here, she's very laid back. She'll sit by herself longer, she's a bit stingy with her smiles, haha, and last night she slept 10 hours!

Baby B was sooo active. She never stopped moving in the womb. She was breech. She's smaller than her sister by a pound, smiles at everything, and won't sit more than a few minutes before she wants to be picked up, moved around and talked to.