Easily distracted

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Meximeli, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Bianca is very easily distracted. Her kindergaten class only had 12 students and a great teacher who was able to work very well with her. Her first grade class had 32 students including some way below grade level and a very distruptive little boy so the teacher was busy elsewhere. Bianca was just left to sink of swim. She mostly just floated along on the strong base she had from kindergarten. :( . Well we changed schools because we found out the same group of students and the same teacher would all be together for second grade as well.
    Now at the new school there are 24 in the class and the teacher has noticed Bianca is a problem. I've got to help her stay on task and learn to pay attention and not day dream so much. She's so much like me, and back in the 70s no one helped me with this, but we had 3 recesses and PE three times a week and pull out art and music... Any tips?

Also where is the line you draw between easily distracted and ADD? Any good online sources for me to read up on it? We really don't have any special education services available to us--and like I said, she's like me, so boarderline.

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I've found if I have something else to do while listen that I get distracted a lot less. Things I do are doodle, chew gum, tap my feet, and okay with my hair. I had excellent grades in school but mine has gotten worse as I've gotten older.

One of my friends daughter who is add runs laps every morning before school to burn some of the energy. They have also put her in soccer and she practices a lot after school

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

There are checklists for ADD. One thing is that the behavior is present in all aspects of their life, home and school. If she is easily distracted all the time, it may be something like ADD, if it is only while in the class, it could be something else. One thing is to work with the teacher on a signal to help her return to task. Like, if the teacher walks by and taps on her desk, it is a reminder to go back to work.

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We had this with my oldest during K. Basically we and the teacher worked with him to focus. Basically the more he did it, the better he got at it. Good luck!

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the teacher tapping on her desk! I found this site http://www.addvance.com/help/women/ that specifically deals with ADD (and ADHD--but I don't think she's hyperactive) in women and girls.
    From what I read there I think the chances of her being diagnoised with ADD if we were in the USA are VERY VERY VERY high! Heck even Gabby would probably end up with a diagnosis. Anyway thanks for the responses and any of you with girls might want to check out that site.