easily frustrated-head banging

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twotwins, Mar 17, 2010.

1. twotwins

twotwins Active Member

Help!One of my twin boys who are at the moment 15 to 16 months old is very easily frustrated. Whenever he cannot accomplish a game, whenever his brother steals toys from him, whenever somebody leaves the room etc he screams and bangs his head on the floor very hard either on front either the back of his head.Therefore he is full of bruises on his forehead. Sometimes he does it more often and some times less and I am not sure what exactly fires up this frustration. I am really afraid that he hurts.
    I have tried many tactics dealing with it , explaining him how bad it is or ignoring it or distracting him but I need some advice if somebody dealt or is dealing with the same problem.

2. twotwins

twotwins Active Member

I just wanted to add that he is seriously teething according to the doctor, getting his back teeth (molars and more)
    [/quote]

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DS used to bang his head mainly out of frustration. It was at it's worst around 15-18 months. I found that once he was able to communicate more, it lessened. It was hard for me to do, but I found the less attention I gave to the behavior the less he did it. He did not hit his head hard though and he would bang his head on the wall. Do you think giving him a pillow and having him use that would help, so that he's not making direct contact with the floor?
    Are you giving him anything for teething? Those molars are tough ones. I found that my DS was easily frustrated and more prone to biting when he was teething at the age. :hug:

4. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

DD2 started this a few months ago too. I have tile and carpet flooring in my house. When she starts the head-banging, I just move her to a carpeted area and walk away. Like Nancy said, it's a matter of attention, and once its gone, the head-banging decreases. We still get it every now and then, but not too badly.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Nate got really bad about this at about the same age (darn that teething!) and we also just made sure that he was safe and on a carpeted area. Trying to console him often made it worse, but letting him work it out on his own would usually calm him down.

6. twotwins

twotwins Active Member

Thank you both for your replies!
    I know that not paying (too much)attention is the best solution but it is hard and always try to find the best way to cope with it.!
    I hope that he gets these teeth out soon and calm a little bit down!
    For teething I have tried as well everything , tething rings, chilled stuffed, etc etc and at worst instances ponstan or depon (painkillers), sometimes painkillers are the only way that will get him to sleep!
    Really how long does it take for the back teeth to come out (from the moment they start swelling?)is it days, weeks or...months?

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

You got some great advice!!
    As for teething it can be anywhere from days to weeks. Molars tend to take the longest here and cause the most pain. Once they start coming through orajel works well. We use motrin for teething and that helps a lot! GL!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Brigette, my kids have varied with their teeth. The incisors took forever to come in and it felt like the one year molars just popped through. Now my DS is working on one of his 2 year molars and it's been a couple of weeks and it's still not all the way through. I also recommend Motrin and in between doses, giving teething tablets to help take the edge off.