Easy DIY Halloween costume

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FGMH, Oct 11, 2011.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our daycare is having a mini Halloween party for the kids. We do not celebrate Halloween and do not have any costumes or dress up stuff for the children. Also we are not into that kind of stuff - I hated having to dress up as a kid. DS has been terrified of other kids in totally harmless costume on one occasion before so I am not even sure if he would wear anything or freak out if his sister does. I was thinking about maybe sewing some sort of cloak? Any ideas for an easy DIY costume that is not scary and could be played with afterwards?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

If you have some hats, you could do a cowboy, baseball player, pirate (bandana) with just regular clothes from around the house. Cowboy = jeans + button up shirt + hat. Baseball player = sweatpants, baseball themed shirt + hat. Pirate = black sweat pants, white shirt, bandana, eye patch.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

How about a sports team? I know Walmart sells all our local teams. We're near Chicago so they have Bears, White Sox, Cubs ect. I know for girls they have outfits that look like a cheerleader. For your DS you could just put some of those marks under his eyes and get him an offical team shirt.

At least they will be able to wear them again and not look like they are wearing costumes.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Kids love to play with capes! You can make them super hero capes, or little red riding hood capes, or matador capes, etc.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions! I went and got some dark blue cloth with multi-coloured owls on it this weekend and my aunt volunteered to make them the capes when I asked her for advice - she is a sewing genius while I can basically sew a straight line ... So nice of her!