EBF and oatmeal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Quick question - for those that EBF and do not pump at all, what do you mix your LO's oatmeal or rice cereal with? Water?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hand expressed milk right into the bowl with my twins. :D

With Emmett, we skipped cereals & purées & went straight to table food.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used diluted juice water to give it a sweet flavor, but this time A hasn't had any cereal or purees, either. Just table food.

4. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I actually just shake some oatmeal into purees to thicken them up without putting milk in them. Cereal alone isn't really necessary (or even at all if you're not inclined--I didn't do cereal with my first and only did table food--he was and still is a terrible eater so this time we are doing purees and table food together and it's working much better). I started with fruit and veggie purees this time and just got the oatmeal to thicken them up because they're so runny.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't have any more babies to worry about this with, but I read this articlerecently that talked about how bad rice cereal is for babies and that they should actually have pureed meat as their first solids. I only ever used baby cereal with my oldest, and only because it was the "accepted" thing to do. She never liked it much and I never really saw the point after that. Like others, we just started with table food, mostly things that were easily mashed with a fork. They started solids around 7 months or a little later, mostly based on when they got really interested in whatever food I was eating.

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

This is what I did.

7. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I use ready made formula or Gerber apple or pear juice. I have also mixed with purees.

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Fascinating article! Thanks for sharing.

9. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I also skip cereals. I read a lot about them and according to what I read, there is little to no nutritional benefit and possible damage to their digestive tract, so we are skipping. With my first, when I didn't know better, I either expressed BM straight into the bowl, or mixed with a puree. Now we started with table foods.