Educational apps?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I did this, but I ordered my kids two Kindle Fires...  I let them play with mine last week and had two hours of blissful quiet... and let's say I'm going to need this to stay sane this Summer. Plus they kept asking for one as all their friends have tablets (or play with their parents' tablets, and frankly I'd rather avoid that).

I've been getting the free app of the day a few times in the last year (when I remembered), but there isn't much in term of educational content so far. There are a couple puzzles that use their brains, but most of it is really just games... Are there any good educational apps? Free, if possible, but I don't mind paying a bit for a really good/fun one.

2. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We got our DS & DD Samsung Tablets and downloaded educational apps through Google Play, but I know the Kindle Fire is different.  We looked for ones that had drawing, coloring, practicing tracing their letters & #'s, and math apps.

We also added some free game apps and I set up our Netflix streaming to them with them as "limited" child users to watch G-rated tv shows or movies.  We have a tablet time rule as well as a rule about adding apps without our approval.  Otherwise we end up with "tablet zombies" where they can stare for hours and won't hear us talking to them.

I hope these ideas help you find some Kindle apps for them.  I can relate to the pleasant silence even though I feel guilty about it from time to time.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

With Kindle Fire you can put in goals for reading and other things.  You can limit when they can use them and how long.  The twins saved up money and bought their own.  We search amazon for free apps.  We do various searches such as free math games or free books for ages 9-12.  Everything on their kindles require a password to get to so they cannot change a setting without our help. 

Math blaster I think is one app we like.  It makes math fun.

4. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

Hi! I've been in College for two years and have experienced serious learning difficulties before, but thanks to an educational app https://www.superiorpapers.com/ my academic performance started to improve very quickly. I gain additional knowledge and begin to feel the power of this knowledge.

5. Daniel Fix

Daniel Fix New Member

That's very interesting. I don’t have any ideas, but for this you need a laptop, don’t you? what to do if it breaks. Probably, then you need to turn to professionals. I recommend Mister Fix. They really helped me