educational dvds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheesehead4girl, Sep 20, 2010.

1. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

we can't afford to send the kids to preschool so i thought we would get them some dvds that would help them learn. any suggestions?

tanya

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Honestly I bought some of those 'educational' dvds and I wish I could have my money back... it's really mind drilling stuff and SO boring. My kids have been learning more from watching Nick Jr, plus they enjoy it... Word World is good too, or the leapfrog learning DVDs, like the letters factory.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We don't do the education dvd's but mine love the workbooks that they sell. They are the Pre-K ones and it's helping them learn their letters/numbers and colors. I like these better then the dvd's because I get to help them with it and see what part they like to do. I know they sell them at Borders, Barnes and Nobles and probably on Amazon.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I've never seen one that seemed worth the money. So much of what kids learn in preschool is social (ie - interacting with other kids). Take them to library storytime, the park to play with other kids, and spend the money on books to read with them, and workbooks they can draw in with your help.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Leapfrogs DVD's are perfect for what you want. David learned to read a little with them. They have so many now also. I don't think they are ALL extremely good. But the Letter Factory, Talking Words Factory, and Code Word Caper are very good!
    I agree that workbooks are great ideas also, but they aren't all great. You just have to look and find what you want to work on first.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Brigette, I prefer the workbooks. But we do have a couple of Leapfrog DVDs that have been really good.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree the Leap Frog DVD's are good. We have Talking Words Factory, Letter Factory and Let's Go to School (they really like that one). There is also a math one. My two do go to preschool and we also have workbooks for them too. :good:

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids LOVE the LeapFrog DVDs, especially "Letter Factory." They already knew the alphabet, but I swear that DVD is what taught them the connection between letters and sounds.

They like the other ones too, but they're aimed at slightly older kids (late 3 to 4, I'd say) -- they cover things like letter combinations, basic math, what to expect in kindergarten, etc.

ETA: My nephews are just under age 3, and watch the math one a lot. Although I can't say they really understand the concept, they can count by 10s, which impresses people. :laughing:

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Definitely the LeapFrog DVD's. My girls learned all their sounds to all the letters of the alphabet before they were three because of The Letter Factory.

10. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the suggestions!! will definitely put all the ideas on their birthday and christmas lists. oh, and they already LOVE word world!!

tanya