eek! ticks!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Debbiemichelle, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having trouble going outside and getting ticks on them? And your children?

I grew up with ticks and it was not a big deal because there weren't really tick-born diseases to worry about. Now, we recently started finding ticks in our backyard. I am not the type of person to be paranoid about this, but there are some crazy new tick diseases that are really scary. We would be spending so much time out in the lawn, but I am getting to the paranoid state.

I feel like I am going a little stir crazy this week. I want to be outside in the warm last days of summer, but when I found two ticks on Lucy's clothes, now I find myself staying inside (stir crazy) or driving somewhere (and now they are crawling and don't love to be in the carseat/stroller for a long time.).

So, what are your tick experiences?
    And, any suggestions for places to go that are indoors, crawling friendly?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Take them outside! Just check them when you come back in. As long as you check them and promptly remove any ticks, there is essentially no concern.

3. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I sympathize, I found a tick on Hannah when she was about that age. It creep-ed me out for quite a while. Somehow it is different on me then on my baby!
    don't let them keep you from enjoying the pretty weather.

Ticks are attracted to dark colors so dress them in light colors. Keep them in the short grass and avoid anywhere that leaves and grass clippings lay. If you are doing those things you have done all the prevention you can.

enjoy your time outside and check them when you come in... I use to give them their bath shortly after outside time.

I think the rule of thumb is removal before 24 hours to prevent the chance of tick borne disease.. so if you check them right away they really are safe.

Take them outside!

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Ive been meaning to come here to post for a few weeks now. My son has just been diagnosed with Lyme disease. I pulled a tick from him last fall and there was a rash. At that time, I did not know about lyme disease. June 1st of this year he started showing symptoms. We are going through complete hell. So I hate outside but we will go. I check them and now know if they get bit to save the tick and have it tested and put them on antibiotics right away.

I give my kids baths every night...always have. So my sons tick was on him for less then 24 hours.

5. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Nicole, my husband has had symptoms and has been treated for Lyme and it is really scary...thanks for posting about your son and I hope everything clears up. When I was little, Lyme was never a problem and now it is Lyme plus other diseases. We will go outside, but I am really not liking this whole tick thing!