Egg Yolks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TFine, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

Well we are approaching the magic 8 month mark for egg yolks. Our Ped said 6 months was fine, but I decided to wait a little until no one was sick and I could watch for reactions the best.

So I am wondering what might be the best way to serve them. I was thinking of scrambling them, but I think that would taste awful with soy formula. I was wondering if I could just use milk. They have eaten yogurt with no issues. It would only be a small amount.

What about french toast with egg yolk only?

Any ideas?

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

You can scramble them with a bit of milk, that's how I did it. You can also hard boil them (in the shell, just remove the white before serving), crumble them slightly and moisten with water or milk.

3. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

DD refuses to eat plain hard boiled egg yolk, but loves it mixed into mashed black beans.

4. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Mar 5 2008, 11:58 AM) [snapback]654035[/snapback]
    DD refuses to eat plain hard boiled egg yolk, but loves it mixed into mashed black beans.

I have never had black beans myself but was thinking of letting them try them. I guess I need to figure out how to make them. :)

5. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Maybe a stupid question but why don't you use egg whites as well.

6. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LV twinmama @ Mar 5 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]654058[/snapback]
    Maybe a stupid question but why don't you use egg whites as well.

Egg whites are not recommended until age 1 due to the potential allergy risk! Our Ped said we could try them at 9 months (He is ahead on everything), but we will ,likely wait until closer to their birthday.

I will likely do it before 1 year so I can give them birthday cake and not worry!

7. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

I like to hard boil a handful and then use them throughout the week - they keep a week that way. The big advantage of starting with a hard-boiled egg is that you can be completely sure there's no white attached. When I separate eggs I always find a bit of white hangs on...

I mash them in the garlic press and stir them into cereal or dinner veggies as a little protein boost. You can also use them in french toast or pancakes if you're doing wheat already. I wouldn't use milk yet because the boys seem sensitive to dairy when I drink it, but water is a fine substitute for scrambles or french toast or pancakes...I dont' think they'll miss the dairy taste a bit.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tammy Fine @ Mar 5 2008, 10:07 AM) [snapback]654054[/snapback]
    I have never had black beans myself but was thinking of letting them try them. I guess I need to figure out how to make them. :)

Tammy,

Beans are easy (and yummy). You can buy a can of already cooked beans (just make sure you're getting the low sodium variety) and all you do is mash them up before serving them to your babies. Or, you can buy dried beans and the instructions are on the bag. Basically you soak the beans overnight in cold water and then boil them for an hour or so on the stove.

9. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

After separating out the white, I would scramble the yolk with a little milk and then add in stuff (tiny diced up pieces of hot dogs, ham, green beans, etc).

10. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Trishandthegirls @ Mar 5 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]654164[/snapback]
    Tammy,

Beans are easy (and yummy). You can buy a can of already cooked beans (just make sure you're getting the low sodium variety) and all you do is mash them up before serving them to your babies. Or, you can buy dried beans and the instructions are on the bag. Basically you soak the beans overnight in cold water and then boil them for an hour or so on the stove.

I am thinking they will like them. They LOVE lentils with garlic. :)