Elecare to Yogurt?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rinaownsu, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Kayla and Layla are now 8 months, still taking Prevacid for their acid reflux and still on Elecare because of their milk based protein allergy. Now that they are eating food, and lots of it, they no longer like Elecare. Their GI warned me it would happen since now their taste buds are tasting better things. He recommended to take away the formula and replace it with non flavored yogurt. He did not really specify what type, or to mix it with anything else. The girls are also used to room temperature milk and food and since yogurt must be refrigerated I don't have the slightest clue how to approach this.

Has anyone ever gone through this? Any recommendations?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My pedi said no yogurt until a year either for Ellie's milk protein allergy. But, I would just give it to them cold. New experiences. Just like new foods.

1 person likes this.
  3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids were on Nutramigen for milk and soy allergy.  We tried yogurt at around 7-8 months and they reacted.  We waited until 11 months and then they did okay with it.  So you could try it, but be on alert for a reaction.

Another thought - can you mix the elacare with rice or oatmeal cereal?  You can even mix fruit in with it to cover up the taste.  My kids particularly liked bananas with oatmeal cereal.  That would help at least get SOME formula in them since they are still so young.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We tried goat milk yogurt with the boys until they could do dairy.. it worked. I agree with Rachael, just serve it to them cold. My boys loooved plain yogurt. Now I sweeten it with a bit of honey (not ok until they're a year) and add fruit.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Ellie even loves plain Greek yogurt. They surprise you.